Remember a Worse Redshirt Freshman Than DJ

akgopher

Reaction score
Seriously whenever I watch Johnson further establish himself as the best player on this team, I keep thinking about how hopeless he was two years ago. He was the poster child for Monson's recruiting ineptitude. To show how much I really know, I thought Payton was just playing out of position and would eventually become a solid 2/3.

Johnson deserves a lot of credit for not quitting two years ago and carrying this year's team. They are tough to watch at times, but if they finish in the top half and reach the NCAA's, Johnson should be revered for many years as we talk about favorite players who've gone through the program.

I think OTS was the best thing to happen to DJ. His defensive system really allows DJ to showcase his amazing skills and athleticism. I'm also sure having Tubby around hasn't hurt his offensive game either. If DJ ever develops a quality jump shot, he would go from being a solid player, to a GREAT player.

I think OTS was the best thing to happen to DJ. His defensive system really allows DJ to showcase his amazing skills and athleticism. I'm also sure having Tubby around hasn't hurt his offensive game either. If DJ ever develops a quality jump shot, he would go from being a solid player, to a GREAT player.

he can also showcase his ridiculously long arms.

Project

When Monson signed DJ it was with the understanding that he would be a project. Kevin Payton was the guy from that class who was expected to come in and contribute right away. He got hurt and never seemed to live up to his potential after that.

DJ still has a ways to go. He's a very poor off the ball defender right now, often losing his man and allowing guys to get open for jumpers and cuts. Offensively he's stuck in the middle right now but he's getting better. I do think DJ is our most important player because of the plays he can make but he's similar to a guy like Vince Carter in that he can make the big, crowd pleasing plays that pump up a team but he is stiill struggling to make the basic, fundamental plays on the defensive end

I loved the way he went strong to the rim and dunked the ball. Quit laying it up, too many things can go wrong...go up and dunk it, you'll either make it or get fouled.

I love DJ's game. He's clearly our best all-around player. With that in mind, the main thing he needs to improve on is his offensive aggressiveness. I wish he would try to take some of the bigger, slower players off the dribble a la Nolen and Westbrook. He's an admirably unselfish player, but one of the biggest needs for this team is someone who can finish at the rim, which is something DJ can do.

like akg

i thought DJ wasn't going to be worth the gamble. he looked out of place.

now, i couldn't be happier that he has stuck around. there are parts of his game that could still be improved upon, but you have to be thrilled with his development so far.

Top Bottom