Indiana's crowd

gopher7

Reaction score
Besides being pretty whiny, I thought they were great. I don't think I've ever seen such a boisterous crowd for a team that was 0-5, heading to 1-17 in the conference.

Besides being pretty whiny, I thought they were great. I don't think I've ever seen such a boisterous crowd for a team that was 0-5, heading to 1-17 in the conference.

I actually thought it was awesome - not that they were this fired up for us, but just that the fans brought their A-game, and the players worked their tails off. I wish we could pull off a white-out like they did. Not only did it provide a great home-court advantage, but they got so many mentions on TV, and great publicity. However, I know that's not something the Gophers would do...so that's neither here nor there.

I was actually posting to say, this kind of reminded me of our 2005-06 year with Grier, Boone, Moe, Stamper, Puchtel, etc. We began the season coming off an surprise NCAA appearance...but started off the year 0-6. Indiana came to the Barn on a nationally televised CBS game on a Sunday, and I want to say they were ranked #11 in the nation. Our students were so fired up, The Barnyard had it's silent auction that day, and did a thing called sponsor-a-student, so the kids were dressed up like crazy. And we pulled off a huge upset. I remember being so surprised, that after being 0-6 our fans still "brought it," they didn't give up on the team, and then we went on to beat Iowa and MSU (both, who were ranked in the top 25).

I'm glad IU didn't pull off the upset, but the situation reminded me of that season. I'll stop rambling now :)

I was at the game in the student section during the game GL was talking about. That game is probably one of my best sporting memories @ the U. Zach Puchtel FTW.

I was actually posting to say, this kind of reminded me of our 2005-06 year with Grier, Boone, Moe, Stamper, Puchtel, etc. We began the season coming off an surprise NCAA appearance...but started off the year 0-6. Indiana came to the Barn on a nationally televised CBS game on a Sunday, and I want to say they were ranked #11 in the nation. Our students were so fired up, The Barnyard had it's silent auction that day, and did a thing called sponsor-a-student, so the kids were dressed up like crazy. And we pulled off a huge upset. I remember being so surprised, that after being 0-6 our fans still "brought it," they didn't give up on the team, and then we went on to beat Iowa and MSU (both, who were ranked in the top 25).

I remember that game distinctly. I forget who I was with, but I looked at the scorecube and wondered aloud "Why is Zach Puchtel starting?" I wasn't wondering any more a few minutes later when he had all-everything Marco Killingsworth POed and on the bench in foul trouble. The Barnyard was as juiced as I've ever seen it, and the crowd really fed off it. This was one of the few games during the Monson era when I had student tickets that I saw this happen.

It's hard to believe that A) the Barnyard is in it's fifth season, and B) the Gophs are a dismal 1-4 in games that involve the Barnyard road trip (the lone win coming last year in Michigan).

I remember that game well. I remember calling a friend who couldn't get off work to make that game before tipoff and telling him that Zach P. was going to be starting. I'm pretty sure his response was something to the effect that he was upset he wasn't going to see Killingsworth set the Big Ten record for rebounds and points. Puchtel proved that hustle and muscle can get it done by frustrating Marco to the point that he took himself out of the game.

I am excited for us to ad Mbakwe becuase as a team we are really weak with the exception of Westbrook. My favorite players are the guys that can use the strength and physicality to take their oponent out of the game. The may not be very flashy but it is an awesome feeling when a guy like John Thomas/Courtney James/Coffee/Randy Carter/Stamper can just flat out out-muscle someone.

Top Bottom