Resembelances to '97?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
To head this off at the pass, a few opening statements need to be established. . .
* yes, officially 1997 never happened for the Minnesota Golden Gopher basketball program. Save your jokes.
* I'm not making a premature prediction that the Gophers are headed to the Final Four, merely pointing out some similarities between the two squads.
* I'm not going to be doing a player-by-player comparison to '97's roster; that's not what this about and I recognize that there's no one on our current roster that compares to Bobby Jackson. This is more of a generalities comparison with some interesting similarities (or at least interesting to me).
* I've yet to see a live minute of Gopher basketball action this season, I'm basing all of this on knowledge of previous players and what I've read of our new players.

With that established. . .
* The sports landscape in Minnesota was filled with mediocrity, potential, and false hopes in the fall/winter of 1996/97. The Minnesota Gophers dismissed energetic, overmatched Jim Wacker at the end of the '96 season, replaced by Glen Mason, a head coach whose job it was to return the program to respectability. After years of futility, glimmers of hope lead by two promising young players (Garnett and Marbury) were emerging over at Target Center. The Minnesota Twins, whose high hopes for the season were dashed in the pre-season when aging superstar Kirby Puckett woke up and couldn't see out of his right eye, experienced a disappointing, below .500 season. The Minnesota Vikings made the playoffs for the fourth time in five years, but again could not win a playoff game under Dennis Green. (change the narratives of the Twins and the Vikings in '10 and it's a little eerie)

* The Golden Gophers stepped into the 1996-97 season with a veteran roster and some talented newcomers, but there was quite a bit of uncertainty about the squad coming off their NIT season from the year before. While there was optimism before the season among the Gopher faithful, the team was a marginal top 25 team in the preseason (voted #22 in the preseason AP poll)

* An early season tournament title in Puerto Rico over solid basketball programs served notice to the nation that this team could be formidable to deal with (credit to From the Barn, he's the first one I saw note this similarity)

* In '97, the Gophers featured a veteran point guard who had tantalized with promise in previous years, but finally put it all together to provide steady leadership and gritty defense throughout the season. (Eric Harris; Al Nolen?)

* The front line of the '97 Gophers was a strength of the team, with a rotation of interchangeable big bodies that couldn't be matched by the competition in the Big Ten (John Thomas, Courtney James, Trevor Winter, Miles Tarver; Ralph Sampson, Trevor Mbawke, Colton Iverson, Mo Walker?)

* The small forward was a Minnesota prep product with highlight film dunks and huge expectations who was still developing his basketball game. (Sam Jacobson; Rodney Williams?)

* a savvy, veteran backcourt that made good decisions and featured the "go to" player on offense (Harris and Jackson; Nolen, Hoffarber, and hopefully Joseph?)

* The bench was a surprising source of energy and production featuring. . .
-a physical presence from a small town in western MN (Winter; Iverson-o.k., he's from SD, but fairly close)
-a rail-thin freshman from Arkansas who impressed Gopher faithful from the beginning with his basketball savvy and scoring ability (Quincy Lewis; Austin Hollins-again, I know Memphis is not in Arkansas, but it's within spitting distance)
-an energetic left-handed shooting guard who had the potential to fill up the basket and was emerging as a fan favorite at Williams Arena (Charles Thomas; Chip Armelin?)
-the fourth big man on the roster who spent a year at a Maine prep school before joining the Gophers and who also became a fan favorite, due largely at first to his unique physical characteristics (Tarver; Walker-yeah, yeah, I know his prep school was in New Hampshire, but again, is it that big a difference?)
-a freshman point guard with a hard to spell last name beginning with "A" who some questioned the talent for a scholarship but had a few solid moments (Archambeault; Maverick?)

Obviously a long ways to go for this team to deliver the wonderful feelings of '97 (and obviously we don't want the train wreck that ensued after the magical season), but as I was working out this morning, the similarities kept popping into my head. And while this team doesn't have a Bobby Jackson and probably won't have four #1 draft picks when the NBA comes calling, the bench looks like it could be better, the front line looks a bit deeper, the defense could be elite. It's shaping up as an awfully fun winter at Williams Arena :).

Too bad you haven't seen a live minute yet...better get on that.

Fun read though, interesting comparisons.

Fun read coolhand

I was surprised by your info on the 97 team's early season ranking. I remenber reading a fair amount of hype in preseason magazines. I would have thought they were higher ranked that what you stated(not doubting your info, just my memory).

* I've yet to see a live minute of Gopher basketball action this season, I'm basing all of this on knowledge of previous players and what I've read of our new players.

Man, coolhand I feel your pain. I've see a little of the exhibitions and that's it. (been working out of town again) Nice, well written comparison. Pretty exciting to even be able to compare the teams. What about the coaches and/or coaching staff? Who do you give the nod to?

both are Libra's.........just kidding, just kidding...had to look it up after goofing off.....they are both Cancer...

Having a tough time finding an avenue to watch the Gophers in Lima (espn3 was an exercise in frustration for my computer and I). The good news is I'll be back for the start of the Big Ten season and will be leaving shortly after the home game vs. Ohio State, which I'm quite ecstatic that I bought tickets for the morning they went on sale, so I will get a good fill of Golden Gopher basketball in about a month or so-for now I'll sift through the play by play action that's updated every thirty seconds on yahoo or espn or cbs sportsline.

As for the coaching staffs, I'd certainly give the nod to Tubby. He's got Clem beat on the resume and almost assuredly in the ethics department.

The '97 squad had four 1st round draft choices (Jackson, Thomas, Jacobson, and Super Q).

since you mentioned it...

both are Libra's.........just kidding, just kidding...had to look it up after goofing off.....they are both Cancer...
Actually, Clem is a Leo.
Tubby is a cancer: sensitive, nurturing, family oriented - may make work life into a family, good at taking initiative, can retreat in the face of conflict.
Clem - Leo: Likes to shine in the spotlight, strong leadership; can be rigid, shallow and self absorbed.

Thanks for the fun read, coolhand. Needed a break from the Lion's game - Sir M is from Detroit so it is a must on Thanksgiving.

Actually, Clem is a Leo.
Tubby is a cancer: sensitive, nurturing, family oriented - may make work life into a family, good at taking initiative, can retreat in the face of conflict.
Clem - Leo: Likes to shine in the spotlight, strong leadership; can be rigid, shallow and self absorbed.

Thanks for the fun read, coolhand. Needed a break from the Lion's game - Sir M is from Detroit so it is a must on Thanksgiving.

Miss M, I bet you're right but.... Clem Smith Haskins (born July 11, 1943 in Campbellsville, Kentucky) is a former professional basketball player who later served 13 years (1986-1999) as head coach of the University of Minnesota's men's basketball team. http://en.wikivisual.com/index.php/Clem_Haskins then I see an August 11 birth date, so I'm guessing you're correct. Born Clem Haskins on August 11, 1943, in Campbellsville, Kentucky; son of Charles (a farmer) and Lucy; married Yevette, 1965; children: Clemette, Lori, and Brent.
http://www.answers.com/topic/clem-haskins

Miss M, I bet you're right but.... Clem Smith Haskins (born July 11, 1943 in Campbellsville, Kentucky) is a former professional basketball player who later served 13 years (1986-1999) as head coach of the University of Minnesota's men's basketball team. http://en.wikivisual.com/index.php/Clem_Haskins then I see an August 11 birth date, so I'm guessing you're correct. Born Clem Haskins on August 11, 1943, in Campbellsville, Kentucky; son of Charles (a farmer) and Lucy; married Yevette, 1965; children: Clemette, Lori, and Brent.
http://www.answers.com/topic/clem-haskins
Hmm. Not sure which date is correct - lets call Clem and ask!

Nice read, Coolhand. Brings back happy memories of the Sunday Night Ramble.

For conversation sake, I think the biggest stretch is the Rodney Williams/Sam Jacobson comparison. Athletic freaks both, but Sam was a much more polished basketball player when he walked in the door than Rodney was. It's interesting that the conversation among the faithful has changed somewhat in 13 years. I recall when Sam arrived, the friendly voices of the Barn screaming that our local hero was not getting enough PT (pre '96-97) and the Man from Campbellsville reminding us that he was the coach and that Sam did not play defense at a D-1 level. Now, we have people screaming about Rodney getting too much PT because he can only dunk, etc.

While missing the Gophers live, you may apprecaite the weather in Lima a little more than here. Single digits and pretty windy in Dakota county yesterday.

The '97 squad had four 1st round draft choices (Jackson, Thomas, Jacobson, and Super Q).

Yep - and while I think that I would take Sampson, Iverson, Trevor, and Walker over Thomas, James, Winter, etc...I think that Jackson was such a special player that this team does not have (or has not shown) and I also think the Jacobson is leaps and bounds ahead of Williams.

All that being said, I do agree that this team is the best since that team, and its not really that close.

Colton as a freshman = Trevor as a senior. Needless to say, Colton brings more to the table than being tall.

Forgot Quincy when considering #1 picks; made the correction.

I know I stretched things in some areas, especially in the Jacobson/Williams and Winter/Iverson comparisons (and wholeheartedly agree with both points made). Considering how the college game has changed as far as players staying in college goes, it's pretty astounding to consider that the current Gophers have three veteran, starting-worthy players to rotate between center/power forward with a freshman who can supply solid minutes too (and I would guess Walker brings quite a bit more to the table (no pun intended-okay, slightly intended) than Tarver did in his first year).

Forgot Quincy when considering #1 picks; made the correction.

I know I stretched things in some areas, especially in the Jacobson/Williams and Winter/Iverson comparisons (and wholeheartedly agree with both points made). Considering how the college game has changed as far as players staying in college goes, it's pretty astounding to consider that the current Gophers have three veteran, starting-worthy players to rotate between center/power forward with a freshman who can supply solid minutes too (and I would guess Walker brings quite a bit more to the table (no pun intended-okay, slightly intended) than Tarver did in his first year).

Right, Coolhand. Esentially what Tubby has done is the "mid-major" formula (with better players out of high school). Put together good players who will be there for four years, blend experience with some younger guys, and be able to compete with anyone. Your point is right on. Look at the rosters of most top 20 teams, and I expect you are not seeing all juniors and seniors starting like you will on most nights for the Gophers (yes, I know Rodney is a sophomore). I like the formula from a fan perspective if it keeps us winning. It is enjoyble seeing a group of guys mature over time and "getting to know them" a bit over the years.

By the way, it is becoming so unusual for a player to be around and contribute for four years that I have casual observers tell me they think Blake has been around "forever." He is no Acie Earl, Jess Settles or Evan Eschmeyer, but just the fact that he has had noticeable contributions for four years makes him an exception in today's game.

No David Lighty either. It seems that Greg Oden's become a grandfather in the years that Lighty's been at OSU (of course, Oden could seemingly have been a grandfather since junior high). The other thing with Hoffarber is he's been in the public conscience since the miracle, ESPY-winning shot, which he followed up with the buzzer beater as a freshman against Indiana; those two garnered quite a bit of publicity for him at a very young age, so I could see someone thinking he'd been around forever.

Interesting your comment about mid-majors Holy Man; in fact, I've got a "column" percolating in my head about that concept that once I have some free time I'm going to write up. Great minds, I guess ;).

Oh coolhand, ironically the Gophers also defeated West Virginia that season also.

On the court, the only real comparison is our front court. I never thought I would see a Gopher team have as deep and as big of a front court as we had in '97, but we have that this year (and especially next). Trevor, Ralph, Colton + Mo = Thomas, Winter, James.

However where this year's team is lacking is with dominant guards. Bobby J, Harris & Jacobson will be way better than Nolen, Hoffarber & Williams.

Another difference is that in '97 Charles & Quincy were experienced sophomores, and Chip & Hollins are still learning as freshmen. I think that once Big Ten time comes we'll see that Chip & Hollins are still young.

97 was better end of story, but this team could be special!

97 was better end of story, but this team could be special!

I think the '97 'end of story' kind of sucked, to be honest. I sure enjoyed watching the year that wasn't though. San Antonio was an amazing experience and you can't tell me it didn't happen......

As far as comparisons - and this was stated in the OP, but can't be overstated - Bobby Jackson was an absolutely incredible player his senior year. Nobody - and I mean nobody - on this current team compares to what he brought in terms of determination, athletic ability, unmatched quickness and basketball smarts - among other things. He is by far the biggest difference between the two teams. That said, college basketball is different now. In the 1997 NBA draft, there were 9 underclassmen chosen in the first round (including Tracy McGrady, a high school player). In 2010, there were 5 **seniors** chosen - the first of which was chosen at #23.

Clearly this has resulted in a depleted college game, in terms of stars, and a more level college playing field: Advantage a) to a team that retains a star that could have been chosen in the first round and b) a more evenly balanced, deeper and more experienced team.

This current team doesn't have the star. But it does have key player experience and, if the freshmen continue to contribute, does seem to be evenly balanced with significant depth.

Top Bottom