ACC/BT Challenge - this REALLY upsets me

GopherLady

Reaction score
Ok, so I received this email (I've attached the graphic) from Gophersports. I have heard ticket sales are not great, and that even the students have only bought 1200 tickets out of the 2200...but when they offer a discounted rate for a game, there is not much that upsets me more as a season ticket holder. All of us have to pay $35 for this game, but the people that aren't paying $600+ for their whole season ticket holder package get to pay $25? Way to appreciate your season ticket holders, once again. No wonder why we're a declining group, when you treat your loyal fans like this, you can't blame people for dropping their tickets.

Attachments

• ACC-BT Challenge.jpg
    ACC-BT Challenge.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 86

So drop your tickets and do something about it. You can scalp a ticket to every game anyhow. Why not save yourself some money and try to make a statement. At the very least you should call the ticket office to let them know how unhappy you (and undoubtedly many other season ticket holders) are about the mistreatment.

For the record -- I agree that they have consistently treated basketball season ticket holders like crap.

So drop your tickets and do something about it. You can scalp a ticket to every game anyhow. Why not save yourself some money and try to make a statement. At the very least you should call the ticket office to let them know how unhappy you (and undoubtedly many other season ticket holders) are about the mistreatment.

For the record -- I agree that they have consistently treated basketball season ticket holders like crap.

streetfighter- the problem is that you are then cutting off your proverbial nose to spite your face. You lose seniority because of the protest. There's almost no way to protest this other than emailing the ticket department and expressing displeasure. They shouldn't have done this- GL is right.

I used to share season tickets with a group of buddies and I dropped out about 5-6 years ago because of...

A) family and job obligations...and

B) I can still go to any game I want and pay under face value on the street - or get freebies from other season ticket holders I know that always give their tickets away.

The downside is that I never know where I may end up sitting but that really has never been a problem the past 10-12 years.

I should add that I have been to at least 10-15 games the past 2 seasons and have not paid a dime for tickets and I've sat in lower level a majority of the time.

Gohperlady. You could buy almost every game on craigslist at a reduced rate if you really wanted, or you could wait until gophersports sells them for cheaper. I'm glad the season ticket holders are a declining group, most of you are old and can be categorized as "golf fans." Plus, it drives prices down and gives me the opportunity to go to the single games I want. As for the student section, they have been solid this year, not too worried about them.

Thanks for the heads up Nadine. I think I'll take advantage of this great deal!

Hey everyone. I was just on gophersports.com and I did not see any ad for $25 tickets. Maybe this is a "Black Friday" sale?

I'm sorry Gopherlady, but I don't feel sorry for you.

The advantages of being a season ticket holder are:

1) You are guaranteed tickets to every game at what is usually a slightly discounted rate off of face value.
2) You are protected from inflated prices for big games and in seasons where there is higher than usual interest.

The disadvantages of being a season ticket holder are:

1) You don't get to pick and choose which games to go to.
2) You are not protected from discounted prices when ticket demand is lower than expected.

For the record, I've had both the positives and negatives as a partial hockey and full football season ticket holder. Someday I'll probably get hoops tickets too but that will have to be after the kids are grown up most likely. For now, I'll keep watching prices and buying from either the ticket office or scalpers for the games I'm interested in. Sometimes I'll pay over face (ala Michigan State 2 years ago) and sometimes I'll pay a discounted price (like I might do for the Virginia game) or buy from scalpers for under face.

You would think they would offer this special to season ticket holders only at first. I know they already have tickets themselves, but this would allow them to buy more tickets for friends and family if they want.

students? planning ahead? ha. im sure that student section number will go down this weekend. or monday for that matter, or right before the game as they decide to go.

You would think they would offer this special to season ticket holders only at first. I know they already have tickets themselves, but this would allow them to buy more tickets for friends and family if they want.

They did. Gopherlady got the message about the cheaper tickets and shes a season ticket holder. The bottom line is year of the Gophers post is absolutely correct.

students? planning ahead? ha. im sure that student section number will go down this weekend. or monday for that matter, or right before the game as they decide to go.

This....if a student doesn't have a season ticket there is no reason for him/her to buy a ticket ahead of time (for this game)

I was actually just talking to another diehard friend that's family had had tickets since the 70's - and we contemplated that. I have always been a season ticket holder to support my team and the school, but they make it very difficult to do that.

Hey everyone. I was just on gophersports.com and I did not see any ad for $25 tickets. Maybe this is a "Black Friday" sale?

Here's the link:
https://www.mygophersports.com/onli...BOparam::WSadmissions::load::promo_code=top25
I'm sorry Gopherlady, but I don't feel sorry for you.

The advantages of being a season ticket holder are:

1) You are guaranteed tickets to every game at what is usually a slightly discounted rate off of face value.
2) You are protected from inflated prices for big games and in seasons where there is higher than usual interest.

As to point one, there are 19 games, at $35/game that's $665. When you take the $!7.50 out of the two exhibition games, you get $630. I want to say my season ticket was $600 (give or take a few dollars, I don't feel like looking it up) - so I HARDLY consider that a discount. And there really aren't inflated prices for big games, aside from possibly WI. Even our Purdue match-up last year, a huge game, they were #6 in the nation, and I had friends that got lower level seats for $20/each. For any other game they went to, it was less than that. So yes, what incentive is there for anyone to continue being a season ticket holder when you can get better, cheaper seats for each game...the only downfall is not having the certainty of where your seats are each game.

P.S. I don't expect you to feel sorry for me. It's a choice I made, I am simply pointing that this really ticks me off.

They're in business to make money, as they should be.

That is true, which is why they should show some appreciation to season ticket holders so they don't lose as many. What you and many don't seem to understand is that it's a long term sell - they need to stop thinking short term. It's us long term people season ticket holders like me that still forked out the cash for the 3-13 BT seasons.

I also heard student tickets are at 1200 out of 2200...that doesn't seem like it's the right way to make money.

They're in business to make money, as they should be.

Yes they are.

We pay full price for our tickets and get nothing extra. Nothing. In 15 years. NOTHING. I had 2 season tickets for every Dan Monson season. NOTHING!!

The upcoming off-season will be very interesting, what with the re-seating and all.......

They did. Gopherlady got the message about the cheaper tickets and shes a season ticket holder. The bottom line is year of the Gophers post is absolutely correct.

Missed that part. If the $25 tickets deal is for season ticket holders only, then I don't have a problem with it. If you are a season ticket holder and you buy additional tickets, then charge your family or friends $30 per ticket so it's fair. That way everyone in the group paid $30 for their ticket for that game.

Missed that part. If the $25 tickets deal is for season ticket holders only, then I don't have a problem with it. If you are a season ticket holder and you buy additional tickets, then charge your family or friends $30 per ticket so it's fair. That way everyone in the group paid $30 for their ticket for that game.

The email went out to season ticket holders - but if you call the ticket office (one of my friends did), they advertise this special to anyone. I'm guessing that it's just the email database they have.

It wasn't sent out like the presale for Gopher Football tickets like this:

As a supporter of Gopher Athletics, we're offering you the opportunity to purchase 2010 Football single game tickets today before the public on sale scheduled for Monday. This is a great opportunity to share your love of Gopher Football with family and friends! This year's schedule features old-time rivalries and national powerhouses!

The computer I bought two years ago for $800 now costs about $400. Man am I pissed.

Gohperlady. You could buy almost every game on craigslist at a reduced rate if you really wanted, or you could wait until gophersports sells them for cheaper. I'm glad the season ticket holders are a declining group, most of you are old and can be categorized as "golf fans." Plus, it drives prices down and gives me the opportunity to go to the single games I want. As for the student section, they have been solid this year, not too worried about them.

GL..your turn

The computer I bought two years ago for $800 now costs about $400. Man am I pissed.

Would you get more for your money now, 2 years later, for that $800? If so, your analogy doesn't fit.

I also heard student tickets are at 1200 out of 2200...that doesn't seem like it's the right way to make money.

Given the amount of students at the first few games, I think 1200 sounds awfully low. I think I heard around 1700, but I could be confused (which I am about 80 percent of the time anyway). I think 1700 seems a lot more accurate than 1200.

The email went out to season ticket holders - but if you call the ticket office (one of my friends did), they advertise this special to anyone. I'm guessing that it's just the email database they have.

It wasn't sent out like the presale for Gopher Football tickets like this:

I got the email, and I'm not a basketball season ticket holder, but I have bought multiple tickets through the ticket office.

Paying 10 dollars less for worse seats than season ticket holders have or 1/4 of the seats empty for a national television audience to see.

GopherNation- like it or not those "golf fans" as you call us pay the bills and offer up most of the donations to support the athletic department. I wish the golf fans were more vocal too but that's life. If you lose the golf fans- the U is in deep stinkin' trouble. So watch what you wish for.

As far as the students- they have been great this year- the ones that bought tickets. But 1200 out of 40,000 plus is a LOUSY percentage for attendance when we have a rock solid squad or for any year. This school has a serious student apathy issue in my view. That's not the fault of the students but rather the school in general and the athletic department specifically. There has to be ways to get a lto more students excited about UofM athletics than currently are. This should be emphasized all over campus. Enjoying the U's athletic teams should be a great part of the campus life.

Wait

Ok, so I received this email (I've attached the graphic) from Gophersports. I have heard ticket sales are not great, and that even the students have only bought 1200 tickets out of the 2200...but when they offer a discounted rate for a game, there is not much that upsets me more as a season ticket holder. All of us have to pay $35 for this game, but the people that aren't paying $600+ for their whole season ticket holder package get to pay $25? Way to appreciate your season ticket holders, once again. No wonder why we're a declining group, when you treat your loyal fans like this, you can't blame people for dropping their tickets.

Are we talking about a $10 difference one time during the season? Am I missing something? $10? Really?

GopherNation- like it or not those "golf fans" as you call us pay the bills and offer up most of the donations to support the athletic department. I wish the golf fans were more vocal too but that's life. If you lose the golf fans- the U is in deep stinkin' trouble. So watch what you wish for.

As far as the students- they have been great this year- the ones that bought tickets. But 1200 out of 40,000 plus is a LOUSY percentage for attendance when we have a rock solid squad or for any year. This school has a serious student apathy issue in my view. That's not the fault of the students but rather the school in general and the athletic department specifically. There has to be ways to get a lto more students excited about UofM athletics than currently are. This should be emphasized all over campus. Enjoying the U's athletic teams should be a great part of the campus life.

Thank you for stating what I was too lazyy to do.

Given the amount of students at the first few games, I think 1200 sounds awfully low. I think I heard around 1700, but I could be confused (which I am about 80 percent of the time anyway). I think 1700 seems a lot more accurate than 1200.

I should have stated where I heard that - it was on the Sports Show on Sunday night. That's the report they got. I thought it was more too - but then you look at the entire back area in back of 112, and you can see how many open seats there are.

ACC TIX

I too am disappointed, but have come to accept these things over the years. Unfortunately, not having a good football team to help drive the revenue train really hurts us, so basketball ends up picking up the slack. This is also why our ticket prices are usually higher than our other B10 schools. I consider the difference between the season ticket price and the street price to be my nondeductible donation. Without it do we get a Tubby Smith and his recruits? I like good college basketball and if that is what it takes to support it that is what I'm going to do. Now I may cut back in other areas, like concessions, etc.

As far as the students, they have been very supportive this year, even though, not as many. They have their issues too, for one thing their tuition just keeps rising and at some point basketball tickets become less important.

I can also understand the university wanting a full house for a nationally televised ACC/B10 game. It is disappointing, but it is what it is. I wouldn't blame anyone for calling or emailing their concerns to the ticket office.

In terms of students, I think a lot of them don't think about getting tickets/regularly attending til B10 play starts. That, combined with a month of winter break, makes it tough for many to justify season tickets by this point in the season. Not trying to be an apologist for the students - I have had bb tix all four years now - but the student section will sell out all the important B10 games. We did last year as well I believe.

I should have stated where I heard that - it was on the Sports Show on Sunday night.

GL, yeah, I heard that too.

Reusse also mentioned again that the Gopher Athletic Dept is ripping off its season ticket holders with high ticket prices and premium seat fees - he's alluded to that a number of times in the past. I emailed him with some Big 10 BB ticket pricing info (gopherhole link) for comparison purposes and a link to a discussion of the way Minnesota underreports its men's basketball revenue. For example, the basketball program does not get credit for the revenue generated through premium seat fees and barn loft premiums - these mandatory donations are reported in a general category titled "Revenues not Generated by Gender or Sport." Because the U of M has decided to exclude these substantial revenues from the reported BB income, Maturi can claim that Minnesota is in the middle of the pack for Big 10 schools when it comes to BB revenue and that it's time for an expansion of premium seat fees. Of course, what Maturi won't be telling us is that if the premium seat fees were reported as basketball revenue as they rightly should be, Minnesota is already at the head of the Big 10 pack.

I suggested to Mr. Reusse that this topic has the makings of a good column - we'll have to wait and see if he takes me up on that suggestion.

Top Bottom