Why don't we play Wisconsin teams more often?

Reaction score
We often forget that there are not one but four D-I teams to our east: Wisconsin, WI-Green Bay, WI-Milwaukee, and Marquette. The last time we played Marquette was in 2000, and I can't remember the last time we played UWGB or UWM. These two would be fairly easy wins and Marquette would be a great game with a lot of traveling fans. I'd rather see any one of these on the schedule than Gardner-Webb, Nicholls State, Marist, etc. Is there a reason we never play them?

We often forget that there are not one but four D-I teams to our east: Wisconsin, WI-Green Bay, WI-Milwaukee, and Marquette. The last time we played Marquette was in 2000, and I can't remember the last time we played UWGB or UWM. These two would be fairly easy wins and Marquette would be a great game with a lot of traveling fans. I'd rather see any one of these on the schedule than Gardner-Webb, Nicholls State, Marist, etc. Is there a reason we never play them?

in general I would say because they wouldn't be easy wins. UW-GB beat the Badgers a couple years ago and Marquette is usually tough. UW-Milwaukee has a good coach and looks to be picking up some good players (Estan Tyler, I think for one). As a season ticket holder it would be good though but we would probably have to make it a home and home package so that gives up a payday for the program.

Sick and Tired asked: Why don't we play Wisconsin teams more often?

Because Badgers are afraid of Gophers. Our quick little Gophers bite Badgers in the Balls and move on to their next victim.

in general I would say because they wouldn't be easy wins. UW-GB beat the Badgers a couple years ago and Marquette is usually tough. UW-Milwaukee has a good coach and looks to be picking up some good players (Estan Tyler, I think for one). As a season ticket holder it would be good though but we would probably have to make it a home and home package so that gives up a payday for the program.

Also, Marquette might not be interested in playing more high level OOC games given that they already play UW yearly and have such a tough conference schedule.

Also, Marquette might not be interested in playing more high level OOC games given that they already play UW yearly and have such a tough conference schedule.

Same with UWGB and UWM. They allready play WI in the non-conference season...they might not want another Big Ten Team on their schedule...

Sick and Tired asked: Why don't we play Wisconsin teams more often?

Because Badgers are afraid of Gophers. Our quick little Gophers bite Badgers in the Balls and move on to their next victim.

Holy crap, I havent seen something that funny in a while on the Hole...that had me burst out laughing at work. Now everyone knows I'm more concerned about the Gopher basketball team than I am my job :)

Holy crap, I havent seen something that funny in a while on the Hole...that had me burst out laughing at work. Now everyone knows I'm more concerned about the Gopher basketball team than I am my job :)

Atta boy, Gopherocious... Congratulations and Welcome to the Big Time of Gopher basketball. Go Gophers!!!

Do the Badgers regularly play UWGB and UWM? If they don't I would think those two schools would jump at the chance to play the Gophers.

I think it is fairly common for big time basketball schools to help play smaller schools in state as kinda a shout out and some extra help. I know you can count on Purdue to play 2-3 maybe 4 Indiana schools a year. Of course Minnesota doesn't have any in-state D1 schools so they are left with the Dakota schools.

We played UW-Green Bay once, on 11/24/1984. We won 75-71.

We played UW-Milwaukee once, on 12/04/1972. We won 79-60.

Wow, that's crazy.

I don't think either UWGB or UWM are tougher most years than, say, Siena. UWM hasn't been very good since Pearl left and UWGB since the mid '90s. Maybe Marquette wouldn't want to play us and maybe the feeling is mutual, but it would be good for our SOS.

Wow, that's crazy.

I don't think either UWGB or UWM are tougher most years than, say, Siena. UWM hasn't been very good since Pearl left and UWGB since the mid '90s. Maybe Marquette wouldn't want to play us and maybe the feeling is mutual, but it would be good for our SOS.

I think we used to play Marquette fairly often, at least back in the early 80's.

As for why we don't schedule Wisconsin teams, perhaps we're just SickAndTiredOfLosingToWI!!

GetIt? Lame,IKnow

I think we used to play Marquette fairly often, at least back in the early 80's.

As for why we don't schedule Wisconsin teams, perhaps we're just SickAndTiredOfLosingToWI!!

GetIt? Lame,IKnow

Bad, Bad, Bad...what Gopher Basketball Team is 3-0 versus the Badgers in the last two years. If ya don't know or believe it, check with GopherLady.

Is this a joke? I don't think we'd have to worry too much about beating Green Bay or Milwaukee. Wisconsin's style is more susceptible to losing to those types of teams. Wisconsin takes a bunch of jumpshots. We have way too much size and athletic ability for those teams. The games would not be close. Marquette, on the other hand, would be a good game. Even if we lost, they'd be worth playing.

Do the Badgers regularly play UWGB and UWM? If they don't I would think those two schools would jump at the chance to play the Gophers.

I think it is fairly common for big time basketball schools to help play smaller schools in state as kinda a shout out and some extra help. I know you can count on Purdue to play 2-3 maybe 4 Indiana schools a year. Of course Minnesota doesn't have any in-state D1 schools so they are left with the Dakota schools.

They play every year with 2 home games for Wisconsin for every road game for UWGB/UWM. I would think this is a good idea for the Gophers. Both of these teams are decent Horizon League teams on a daily basis, and I think UWM could finish in the top 3 in the Horizon this year.

UWM in particular would be a good one to line up. They are a relatively large school for a mid-major and they have a lot of grad students on reciprocity who were undergrads at the U and vice versa. There are lots of transplants in both cities. It could be a great low-risk, high-reward game for us. I know I'd rather have a rivalry with them than with one of the Dakota tech schools, er universities.

And as far as UWGB goes, surely it would make Minnesotans feel better to say they can beat at least ONE team from Green Bay...

I can't believe we NEVER play these guys...

I do think MN deserves some criticism for this. Would it really be that hard to get at least one of Marquette or Iowa State every other year? Ditto with getting say two of UW-GB, UW-MW, Drake or Northern Iowa on the schedule?

Top Bottom