Looks like Virginia is terrible

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
43 point loss to #11 Washington late last night.

Well that's already a 1-0 lead in the ACC/B10 Challenge....

The rest of Virginia's early season resume prior to being hammered by Washington is also pretty underwhelming. The Gophers would REALLY have to lay an egg to lose to Virginia at home.

That being said, I think Washington REALLY looks good. They will be a load and I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Michigan State in Maui.

Virginia

Which is why a few of us squawked when it was announced the Gophers drew the 'Hoos in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Still ticks me off that Penn State and to a much lesser extent the Badgers were awarded better home opponents (Maryland and NC State, respectively) than the Gophers.

Which is why a few of us squawked when it was announced the Gophers drew the 'Hoos in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Still ticks me off that Penn State and to a much lesser extent the Badgers were awarded better home opponents (Maryland and NC State, respectively) than the Gophers.

Agreed. I can see their argument for the Badgers, but not Penn St. Oh well, let's just hope we go out and kick Virginia's ass so we don't have to worry about it.

Agreed. I can see their argument for the Badgers, but not Penn St. Oh well, let's just hope we go out and kick Virginia's ass so we don't have to worry about it.

No help to the SOS, though. Sadly, it looks like Akron is the best of the rest of the NC schedule. Bring on the Big Ten.

Yeah I wish we drew a better team but then again, starting 12-0 would be awfully nice.

I'm surprised by the severity of the Stanford and Washington losses for UVa. The learning curve for the new kids looks steep. I still think they will be at least half-way decent by the end of the year, but I do wish we had drawn someone better for once. God forbid they actually give us Duke or NC one of these years. A Duke-MN match-up just wouldn't be nationally appealing I guess.

No help to the SOS, though. Sadly, it looks like Akron is the best of the rest of the NC schedule. Bring on the Big Ten.

But we do have a front-loaded pre-season schedule.

The 3 mid to low major teams played in the NCAA tournament last year, and we played 2 high majors.

Virginia is up 15 on Oklahoma at the half...

OU looks not so good more than Virginia doing things well IMHO... Virginia should be a big game for The Hoff/Hollins outside against a pack defense. We should just dominate the glass from what I've seen of this game as well.

I would think that if the Gophers continue to have a good season, and with the bulk of the team returning next year... we should land a prime ACC/BT game next year.... Its about time we were treated as an upper tier team in the BT. I think 3 straight tourney appearances and (hopefully) a few wins in the tourney, will do wonders for a lot of things next year. (schedule, recruiting, etc.)

You guys don't think we drew Virginia in part due to the Sampson connection? It should make for some interesting pre-game chatter, Ralph Sampson III goes up against his legendary father's alma mater.

In the end, all we can do is worry about the teams that are actually on our schedule & pound them. The rest will take care of itself.

crg

You guys don't think we drew Virginia in part due to the Sampson connection? It should make for some interesting pre-game chatter, Ralph Sampson III goes up against his legendary father's alma mater.

In the end, all we can do is worry about the teams that are actually on our schedule & pound them. The rest will take care of itself.

Don't forget the past "Tubby is flying off to Virginia" story line.

I think the Sampson story line was adequately played out last time. Any ire that the UVa fans felt about III not coming to Charlottesville or dad wearing a Gopher hat at the game is long dead. The bottom line is that MN got hosed in the ACC/Big 10 pairings and it's not the first time. But you're right, what's done is done, all we can do now is pound them.

Not sure yet what to make of how bad UVa is. Is it possible that Oklahoma is really that awful or is UVa Dr. Jeky/Mr. Hyde?

I anticipate that the tourney selection gurus next year could likely see Duke/Minnesota as a good matchup. I don't think that we have as good a team this year as we likely will have next year. We prolly are fortunate not to have drawn Duke this year.

I would think that if the Gophers continue to have a good season, and with the bulk of the team returning next year... we should land a prime ACC/BT game next year.... Its about time we were treated as an upper tier team in the BT. I think 3 straight tourney appearances and (hopefully) a few wins in the tourney, will do wonders for a lot of things next year. (schedule, recruiting, etc.)

When was the last time the Gophers were an upper tier B10 team. One run in the BTT doesn't really count. I would say the Gophers need to finish better than 6th for once and actually win an NCAA tournament game before there's any talk of being an "upper tier" squad. This year looks to be achance to move up but it's not even December yet....

Top Bottom