AP Poll: #15

I don't see that, here is what I have:
AP Top 25- Unranked
Coaches- #17
Parrish- #7
CBS Sports RPI-#14

Three in the top 10, two in the top 20. The Big Ten schedule is going to be really, really, tough this year.

I saw it now, apparently the overview of the 4 polls was not updated.

Three in the top 10, two in the top 20. The Big Ten schedule is going to be really, really, tough this year.

Playing .500 against the top 6 in the league might be enough to win the conference, or at least finish in the top 3. We have 8 games against Purdue, Mich St, Ohio St, Illinois, and Wisconsin. If we go 4-4, I really like our chances. Also, all of the games on the road against those 5 other teams are in the first half of our BT schedule. That could make for a fast finish on our end.

This is the type of year where 14-4 or 13-5 could be good enough. As I stated a couple of weeks ago, I expect there to be a logjam at the top and a logjam at the bottom of the league. I could easily see 6 teams win 12 games and the bottom 3 or 4 teams win 5 or less.

hey, just one at a time, one at a time, don't wish too far ahead, one win at a time

I don't want to be a downer but at this point we are over rated at #15.

#17 is somewhat reasonable, but still a little high, IMO.

Realistically they should prbably be no higher than #20 given NC is not that great and WV is decent but not ranked. We are benefiting from UNC being the most overrated team in the country, not so much what we did.

That's not to say that they can't be top 15 or even top 10 at some point but I don't see how beating UNC and WV makes the Gophers top 15.

I don't want to be a downer but at this point we are over rated at #15.

#17 is somewhat reasonable, but still a little high, IMO.

Realistically they should prbably be no higher than #20 given NC is not that great and WV is decent but not ranked. We are benefiting from UNC being the most overrated team in the country, not so much what we did.

That's not to say that they can't be top 15 or even top 10 at some point but I don't see how beating UNC and WV makes the Gophers top 15.

Disagree here. Anyone who saw the team play (not sure how many voters did) noticed a few things that make up success:

Size. This is a big team.
Depth. Especially in the front court. Lots of fouls to use.
Speed. This team, contra the Big Baby Blue Blog, is not slow.
Experience. Especially at the guards, this is an experienced team.
Shooter. A dead on zone breaker keeps you in a game all the time.

Anyone actually watching sees the potential of this team on its merits, not just who they happened to play this weekend. This is a darn good basketball for team for two reasons: Very good players and a great coach. I like the mix.

I also, like so many of you, have a lot of experience over the last decade of hoping that we might be good, despite an overmatched coach and below average players. We are beyond the wishful thinking stage here. Who cares about rankings? We have a good team that can compete with anyone in the country! 15 is not "overrated" in my book.

Disagree here. Anyone who saw the team play (not sure how many voters did) noticed a few things that make up success:

Size. This is a big team.
Depth. Especially in the front court. Lots of fouls to use.
Speed. This team, contra the Big Baby Blue Blog, is not slow.
Experience. Especially at the guards, this is an experienced team.
Shooter. A dead on zone breaker keeps you in a game all the time.

Anyone actually watching sees the potential of this team on its merits, not just who they happened to play this weekend. This is a darn good basketball for team for two reasons: Very good players and a great coach. I like the mix.

I also, like so many of you, have a lot of experience over the last decade of hoping that we might be good, despite an overmatched coach and below average players. We are beyond the wishful thinking stage here. Who cares about rankings? We have a good team that can compete with anyone in the country! 15 is not "overrated" in my book.

No, that's not how the rankings are supposed to work. You are rated based on where you start and who you beat, not the talent on the court or potential. That's what preseason polls are for.

I think the Gophers will earn their top 15 ranking at some point, just they have not beaten anyone to warrant a jump from something like #30 to #15.

After the preseason poll, the rankings are supposed to represent the teams based on performance to date. Last week we were what, 28? I think the jump to 15/17 is appropriate. There isn't another school that has put together 5 good wins against tournament-type teams.

I don't think we're one of the top 15 programs in the country right now, but based on the first couple weeks of the season, we're right where we should be.

I think getting the ranking and the attention is better for current and future recruits than anything else.

No, that's not how the rankings are supposed to work. You are rated based on where you start and who you beat, not the talent on the court or potential. That's what preseason polls are for.

I think the Gophers will earn their top 15 ranking at some point, just they have not beaten anyone to warrant a jump from something like #30 to #15.

In January you would never jump from #30 to #15. But from week 1 to week 2? Sure. It's basically an acknowledgement that we were rated too low at #30, while several others (like NC) were vastly over-rated. Who ranked below #15 would you argue should be ahead of us and why? Florida is #16. They lost by double-digits to OSU and struggled to beat Morehead State yesterday. Should they be ranked ahead of us still? Wisconsin? VT? You get my point. The bottom-line is that the first poll is something of a crap-shoot based partially on the name on the front of the jersey. I don't think #15 is over-rated, not necessarily because we are all that, but because there aren't 15 other teams who have shown they are better.

In January you would never jump from #30 to #15. But from week 1 to week 2? Sure. It's basically an acknowledgement that we were rated too low at #30, while several others (like NC) were vastly over-rated. Who ranked below #15 would you argue should be ahead of us and why? Florida is #16. They lost by double-digits to OSU and struggled to beat Morehead State yesterday. Should they be ranked ahead of us still? Wisconsin? VT? You get my point. The bottom-line is that the first poll is something of a crap-shoot based partially on the name on the front of the jersey. I don't think #15 is over-rated, not necessarily because we are all that, but because there aren't 15 other teams who have shown they are better.

Good point.

Like I said, I think that they have the talent to be #15 (maybe better)and I don't see them giving that ranking up anytime soon.

As I said earlier...we'll win some, we'll lose some. What I saw from this team is we should win alot more than we lose.

Going into the season, I though 10-8 or 11-7 in the Big Ten with a decent chance at a 6 or 7 seed in the tourney. Now I think this team has the chance at a 3 or 4 seed with a top 3 finish in the conference. Not saying I'd bet money on it but here's the key part of this weekend...the ceiling was raised. That's what makes me optimistic. If the ball bounces the right way and we continue to grow, we have a good chance come March because I think there's a foundation that's there. We very well may end up finishing 5th or 6th in the tough conference but this is a tourney team and what I witnessed is we present matchup problems which if exploited correctly can lead to success in March.

We have a decent chance of being 12-0 and ranked in the top 10 (probably overrated) when we go to Madison for the Big Ten opener...that should be a fun one.

But in reality how do you know we are overrated? In terms of what we have done THIS SEASON, it seems pretty realistic to me. How many team in the top 25 have a better body of work? Gary Parish has the Gophs as #7 in his poll!

Very defensible position.

DR DON. I hear ya.

NDSU wants to be up with Butler, UNI, Wichita State on that list.

There's little reason to not vote the Gophs high at this point. There are few teams out there that have the type of wins Minnesota has at this point. Many top-25 type teams have lost already anyway, so why not put them in the top-10? Gary Parrish put them in the top-10, and he's as fair as they get when it comes to polls, plus Devoe will be back and should make the team that much better, so there's no reason to feel that the Gophs are overrated at this point. In fact, they're probably underrated at #15.

Fewer and lower quality data points lead to volatile rankings - no surprise in that.
As someone already noted (based on wins and quality of wins) it's kind of hard to come up with 15 teams that you'd rank higher than Minnesota right now.
It's way to early to feel any attachment to a particular spot in the rankings, but it's great to on all the top 25 lists.
I know the line that rankings don't matter - it's all about how you do in March. True enough, but from now until then, I think it means a lot to be in the top 25. It means a lot more opportunity to hear about the team in all media, and it's great for recruiting.

Can't wait for the B10 season to start. I'll be sweating every Monday for the new AP ranking - assuming we stay in them.

Anyone think Purdue is overrated? Top 10? Idk about that. Purdue fans, please remind me that you guys have two POTENTIAL All-Americans.

i've watched a lot of ball in the last few days. Gophers are a solid top 20 team. With Devoe, I don't know, could be very interesting if he is a go to guy than can create in the clutch.

Top Bottom