Freshman class

Juicer

Reaction score
At one point last night, we had Walker, Ahanmisi, Hollins and Armelin out there together, and that was the group that brought us back into the game after being down early. I was skeptical when we signed 6 guys this year that even half of them would ever contribute, but I am glad I was wrong. It was really nice to see all of these guys contributing early in their careers. Armelin and Hollins are going to be studs for us in the coming years, and the other guys should be solid role players.

Energy is key with these guys. They exuded it when they got on the floor in the first half; let's hope, as the season goes on, they can couple that energy with good decision making.

At one point last night, we had Walker, Ahanmisi, Hollins and Armelin out there together, and that was the group that brought us back into the game after being down early. I was skeptical when we signed 6 guys this year that even half of them would ever contribute, but I am glad I was wrong. It was really nice to see all of these guys contributing early in their careers. Armelin and Hollins are going to be studs for us in the coming years, and the other guys should be solid role players.

Walker has the potential to be a stud's stud. A freshman big who looks to be a 4-year player. He could become a real problem for B10 opponents in the next couple of years.

Walker has the potential to be a stud's stud. A freshman big who looks to be a 4-year player. He could become a real problem for B10 opponents in the next couple of years.

When I first saw Walker play, my only thought was "wow, Mo is slow," and I wondered if he'd ever contribute. And then, I got to notice that he has nice hands and fair skills. Though he's not the fastest player ever, after watching the past couple games it seems Mo will be a valuable asset THIS year, and could develop into a hell of a player.

I love Walker. He steps onto the floor for the first time and is all, "Gimme the damn ball."

Great hands.

I'm a little surprised by the talk about Walker's hands. His hands haven't impressed me all that much. What I've been more surprised by has been his balance. He's got very good body control and balance for a guy his size, which allows him to use his body well inside, both to get his shot off and to get rebounds.

How quickly did Robert Traylor develop as a college player? Mo has that shape...but I don't remember how much of a stud Tractor was early on.

So far - and the sample size is very small - Mo has made more putbacks or quick shots right under the rim than Colt or Ralph. They drive me mad sometimes with their misses from 2 feet...Mo just makes them. I'd imagine he's spent half his life standing underneath the basket.

My dream is to have him take and make one 3 pointer this year. That first one was just legendary.

I actually think Mo will have a little bit of range when he gets older, he has a smooth enough looking stroke.

He reminds me a little bit of Pittman from Texas last year. I expect Mo to lose some weight, get leaner, and eventually be a force to handle.

several time a 'hillbilly' would drive the lane, encounter Walker and flee, he's intimidating

Anyone else think that Walker has gotten a lot of rough calls? Either he sets his feet to take a charge and it's a blocking foul or he stands there with his hands straight up and someone jumps into him for a blocking foul.

the thing about walker is you have to believe he will lose 20 25 pounds he will become more agile, quicker and will gain endurance thats when you will see him improve the most when he loses some weight and puts on some muscle.... dajuan blair anyone??

I don't want to rip on a particular player, but I don't agree that all of the freshman will contribute or that Hollins/Armelin will be studs. It's way too early to make a defnitive call on any players career, positively or negatively, but I haven't seen anthing that says future All Big Ten (or even 2nd team All Big Ten) from any of the freshman.

Mo is an interesting case. My biggest question with him is does he become more explosive off the floor if he gets to 265 or so OR is he a guy who simply isn't blessed with much quick twich ability? If he's not going to get off the ground better, then I'd like to see him stay bigger (say 280 or so) and just work on endurance. His size combine with his good feel for the game will continue to be his strengths in that scenario. The good thing about Mo is that it appears that he really likes basketball and doesn't play just because of his size.

There was a long thread about Walker earlier but I'll weigh in on here as well.

I dont think his weight/endurance is a big issue. That comes with time and he will gain muscle as he gets older like most males (not to mention D1 athletes). His upside is a Dexter Pittman and his floor is a Oliver Miller (12pts, 6.5 rebounds, 2.5 blocks). With that being said, I think he will be in the middle somewhere and probably be a solid center for a couple years. It will be interesting to see what Tubby puts around him as Iverson, Sampson and Trevor will graduate and leave his as the lone big man unless some pieces are added.

There was a long thread about Walker earlier but I'll weigh in on here as well.

I dont think his weight/endurance is a big issue. That comes with time and he will gain muscle as he gets older like most males (not to mention D1 athletes). His upside is a Dexter Pittman and his floor is a Oliver Miller (12pts, 6.5 rebounds, 2.5 blocks). With that being said, I think he will be in the middle somewhere and probably be a solid center for a couple years. It will be interesting to see what Tubby puts around him as Iverson, Sampson and Trevor will graduate and leave his as the lone big man unless some pieces are added.

Walker and Eliason will both be on Gophers roster in 2013 after Sampson and Iverson graduate.

I don't want to rip on a particular player, but I don't agree that all of the freshman will contribute or that Hollins/Armelin will be studs. It's way too early to make a defnitive call on any players career, positively or negatively, but I haven't seen anthing that says future All Big Ten (or even 2nd team All Big Ten) from any of the freshman.

Mo is an interesting case. My biggest question with him is does he become more explosive off the floor if he gets to 265 or so OR is he a guy who simply isn't blessed with much quick twich ability? If he's not going to get off the ground better, then I'd like to see him stay bigger (say 280 or so) and just work on endurance. His size combine with his good feel for the game will continue to be his strengths in that scenario. The good thing about Mo is that it appears that he really likes basketball and doesn't play just because of his size.

My goodness, after 2600 posts, I would expect you to be smarter than this. These are not the type of players that would be studs by the number or stars they have. These people will be studs because THEY FIT THE SYSTEM. Is that so hard to understand, a SYSTEM for god sake. Tubby's players are about team not individual medals.

Go Gophers

My goodness, after 2600 posts, I would expect you to be smarter than this. These are not the type of players that would be studs by the number or stars they have. These people will be studs because THEY FIT THE SYSTEM. Is that so hard to understand, a SYSTEM for god sake. Tubby's players are about team not individual medals.

Go Gophers

"FIT INTO THE SYSTEM" I mean.

Go Gophers

On Hollins and Armelin- the upside potential is there. The rest is up to them. It's impossible to project if they will get the max out of themselves, but if they do, either or both could be stars in the Big Ten.

Regarding Mo- they have been saying he weighs 290- does anybody really believe that? This guy is the biggest human being I've seen in a Gopher uniform (basketball uniform). He has to be 315 plus. If he can reshape that with muscle and get to 280 - which with his shoulder span (huge) is about as low as he can go I have to believe he will get off the floor quicker while remaining an absolutely immovable object in the paint.

It's nice to see the freshmen contributing early. I know there's a height difference, but Hollins really reminds me of Quincy Lewis. Very smooth high release shot and for those who remember, Quincy was THIN when he got to the U. If Hollins hits the weight room, he could do some serious damage on both ends of the floor. He already plays some decent defense, but will need to add strength. I like Armelin, but I'm not sure about his shooting. He is a high energy guy though and can get to the rim. Love Mo. If he drops some weight and adds strength, yikes! Not impressed at all with Mav.

I think Mo's size and athelticism is closer to Oliver Miller, or if he lost 30 lbs Draymond Green. But those two players have incredible basketball IQ. Pittman was a monster athelete and probably could have been a good football player. He didnt seem to "get" basketball. I would love for Mo to have the career either Oliver or Draymond will have. Draymond dominates the interior at 6'6" 235.

It's nice to see the freshmen contributing early. I know there's a height difference, but Hollins really reminds me of Quincy Lewis. Very smooth high release shot and for those who remember, Quincy was THIN when he got to the U. If Hollins hits the weight room, he could do some serious damage on both ends of the floor. He already plays some decent defense, but will need to add strength. I like Armelin, but I'm not sure about his shooting. He is a high energy guy though and can get to the rim. Love Mo. If he drops some weight and adds strength, yikes! Not impressed at all with Mav.

Unfortunately, as I recall, Q was a lot taller than Hollins (who still has okay size).

Top Bottom