Noreen's Scholarship

shootstraight

Reaction score
I thought Noreen looked better than expected last night for the few minutes he played. He looks like he has added some weight which is good as he was very skinny when I last saw him play. A bit tougher to score against the Gophers compared to the Hmong Immersion school as he has done for several years but I have to say that he looked like he could fit in to WVU's team. I saw in his bio that he "signed a grant-in-aid" to play for WVU. Is this the same as an athletic scholarship? I have just never heard of it referred this way. Did he really sign an academic scholarship due to his 35 on his ACT? I bet WVU hasn't seen a student of theirs with this high of a ACT ever. Isn't WVU one of the lowest ranked major institutions for academics in the country?

FOT and others can fill you in on the "grant in aid" versus scholarship and LOI. The net effect is the same. Interesting that Katz called him part of the "Boston College disspersal draft" when they canned Skinner and released all their signees.

I thought Noreen probably had a mission to prove Tubby wrong for not recruiting him. Revenge or response to getting slighted can be huge motivators in given moments, but don't typcally keep the motor running for long. I hope he does well in the Big East. It seems odd that a 35 ACT would even consider an academic cesspool like WV, when he had options like Northwestern and others. Oh, well. They must have a quality sports management program.

I thought Noreen looked better than expected last night for the few minutes he played. He looks like he has added some weight which is good as he was very skinny when I last saw him play. A bit tougher to score against the Gophers compared to the Hmong Immersion school as he has done for several years but I have to say that he looked like he could fit in to WVU's team. I saw in his bio that he "signed a grant-in-aid" to play for WVU. Is this the same as an athletic scholarship? I have just never heard of it referred this way. Did he really sign an academic scholarship due to his 35 on his ACT? I bet WVU hasn't seen a student of theirs with this high of a ACT ever. Isn't WVU one of the lowest ranked major institutions for academics in the country?

LOI cannot be signed after mid-May deadline. Instead grant-in-aid (scholarship) papers are signed if recruit commits over the summer like Noreen did. He's on athletic scholsrship at WVU.

Chip Armelin did the same thing at Minnesota in August.

FOT and others can fill you in on the "grant in aid" versus scholarship and LOI. The net effect is the same. Interesting that Katz called him part of the "Boston College disspersal draft" when they canned Skinner and released all their signees.

I thought Noreen probably had a mission to prove Tubby wrong for not recruiting him. Revenge or response to getting slighted can be huge motivators in given moments, but don't typcally keep the motor running for long. I hope he does well in the Big East. It seems odd that a 35 ACT would even consider an academic cesspool like WV, when he had options like Northwestern and others. Oh, well. They must have a quality sports management program.

Not trying to rip Noreen too much, but with a 35 ACT you're wasting your life with basketball. He should be working on cold fusion or something. Maybe he'll end up like Bill Bradley.

Not trying to rip Noreen too much, but with a 35 ACT you're wasting your life with basketball. He should be working on cold fusion or something. Maybe he'll end up like Bill Bradley.

Why can't he do both? Basketball will get him a girl while he works on cold fusion.

I thought fusion was hot. Maybe I should have gone to WVU to learn something about it.

Maybe he want to be a soil engineer or conservation engineer...WVU is very strong in these areas...or maybe he was desperate to play in the Big East and these guys were the only ones with a scholly...but otherwise...WVU is not a good school. Pretty campus though...as long as none of their coeds are in the picture.

I thought Noreen looked better than expected last night for the few minutes he played.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't know how well he really played. He certainly brought energy to the floor, and yes, four point and two boards in six minutes is nice, but he also appeared to be a bit out of control - 3 fouls and a turnover in that same short span. Obviously, he's got years to prove what he'll be as a college basketball player, but I don't think he showed anything last night that is making Coach Smith regret not making a big play for him after BC let him go.

I don't know about that. Former Twins and now Oakland pitcher Craig Breslow is working on a cure for cancer in his spare time. Not a bad pastime to have 'eh?

Beats the hell out of posting on messageboards. Unless you're posting on the scientists working on a cure for cancer messageboards.

When that group came in I thought the Flying Wallendas from the circus came in. I thought they had good energy but a couple of those kids were out of control.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't know how well he really played. He certainly brought energy to the floor, and yes, four point and two boards in six minutes is nice, but he also appeared to be a bit out of control - 3 fouls and a turnover in that same short span. Obviously, he's got years to prove what he'll be as a college basketball player, but I don't think he showed anything last night that is making Coach Smith regret not making a big play for him after BC let him go.

That was my take - btw did anyone else interpret his put back over Iverson as a high school dunk type move where you use another person's shoulders to lift you an extra foot? That one blew my mind as much as any of the officials guesses.

It would be better if he ended up like Bill Brasky...:D

Ah, yes....the GopherHole Off-Topic Board.

Solving the worlds problems one at a time through thoughtful debate and discussion. :)

With a 35 ACT

You should be smart enough to know girls that want you because you play basketball are probably trouble.

I thought he did well. We have 5 freshman on scholarship. You can't tell me he wasn't worth filling at least one of them. Tubby my or may not regret it. But it's a shame to let MN players leave while we taken on projects from other states.

I hope Kevin Noreen has a great run at WVU. He's playing in a major conference for a fantastic coach & will likely visit the Final 4 once or twice in his career, could be worse. That said, Tubby didn't see him filling a role for us right now. Tubby's Gopher recruiting/team make-up reminds me of Herb Brooks in "Miracle"..."I don't want the best players, I want the right players".

I thought he did well. We have 5 freshman on scholarship. You can't tell me he wasn't worth filling at least one of them. Tubby my or may not regret it. But it's a shame to let MN players leave while we taken on projects from other states.

Westbrook graduated, Nolen was ineligible, Cobbs was transferring. We needed to make sure we had more guards. One of those "projects", Chip, is looking very good and I would much rather have him than Noreen.

Noreen gave them a shot of energy but I don't think MN has any regrets taking Chip and Oto.

You should be smart enough to know girls that want you because you play basketball are probably trouble.

And yet, they're usually a lot more fun than 95% of those 30+ ACT-type chicks. Call me a fortunate one, as I've had the fortune to be with some of those 5% (could never for the life of me date a stupid girl), though I partied with many.

It would be better if he ended up like Bill Brasky...:D

I completely agree...

In all seriousness, maybe Tubby just didn't think he would be the right fit. Best of luck to him at WVU. IMO, if he did get a 35 on the ACT he would have been better off going the Ivy League route. I mean, anywhere more worthwhile academically than WVU would have been a better choice (academically).

I completely agree...

In all seriousness, maybe Tubby just didn't think he would be the right fit. Best of luck to him at WVU. IMO, if he did get a 35 on the ACT he would have been better off going the Ivy League route. I mean, anywhere more worthwhile academically than WVU would have been a better choice (academically).

I'm starting to picture Noreen like Joe Bauers (Luke Wilson) in Idiocracy. I hope they don't think he talks too faggy.

Don't get to carried away with the crush that the announcer seemed to have on him. I hope he does well, but he is not very athletic. Tubby made the right choice for the U, don't know if he would have been able to keep up on the defensive side.

I am not sure if Noreen would ever be rugged inside enough to do what Tubby wants out of his bigs and he isn't as skilled as he'd want on the perimeter. Noreen might have a nice career at West Virginia but we'll see. Mo Walker and Elliason seem to be much better fits on the block.

Noreen will have a fine career, the kid has a great skills and a great nose for the game.

As to the "Hmong academy" crack, I compared Noreen's and Cody Schilling's HS schedules once and Noreen played like 4X more games against schools above Class A than Ellsworth did. Yet Cody's scoring record was golden and Noreen's was junk.

People just loved to hate Kevin Noreen. Don't know why. Why would he have wanted to play college ball here? Don't know why.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I think a lot of people don't respect charter schools...especially the athletics.

I hope Kevin Noreen has a great run at WVU. He's playing in a major conference for a fantastic coach & will likely visit the Final 4 once or twice in his career.

If Noreen is to play in 1 or 2 Final Fours over the next four years, then Huggins will have to drastically increase the level of talent on that roster. If Huggy does that, then Noreen will likely end up being a bench guy. As you said, could be worse, but I don't see him as a major contributor on a Final Four roster.

Noreen gave them a decent shot in the arm against MN. But, that was his first action in ANY game in Puerto Rico. Huggins has played the kid in only two of the four games so far and for a grand total of eight minutes. He could develop into a nice player, but as of now, he is a bit player at best for West Virginia, and will likely remain that if that program ever gets back to the level of last year's Final Four team. Noreen was the only recruit from the Class of 2010 that made it onto the roster. Huggy will need to add additional parts and he likely will.

Top Bottom