RS3 line today: 30min, 13pts, 8rebs (4 offensive) and 6blks

Agree completely on Sampson but the other difference maker today was Damian Johnson.

Agreed. RSIII is a player. Good to see JAS having a good game, but I am still not sold on why he is getting as many minutes as he is.

I don't know what happened to the full court trap. With Tubby going 12-deep every game, you would think we would have fresh legs and press a lot more than we do.

Agree completely on Sampson but the other difference maker today was Damian Johnson.

Good call on DJ. To be honest, I am at the point now where I expect him to play big on both ends and when he doesn't it stands out more than when he does. That's a credit to him as he's probably the most important player we have on our roster. Good things happen when he's in the game...not to mention all the little things that don't always show up in the boxscore.

Go Gophers!!

Good call on DJ. To be honest, I am at the point now where I expect him to play big on both ends and when he doesn't it stands out more than when he does. That's a credit to him as he's probably the most important player we have on our roster. Good things happen when he's in the game...not to mention all the little things that don't always show up in the boxscore.

Go Gophers!!

I agree. Ralph is getting a lot of praise (and it is deserved) because he really stepped up this game. But DJ had a great game as well, but we tend not to notice it because he always is putting in very solid performances.

I have to say that when Ralph has the ball in his hands anywhere except for the post, he makes me nervous. But, he can really change things defensively as shown today.-

Ralph was huge out there today, aggressive on both ends of the floor and finishing around the basket. He looks more comfortable with each game.

Agreed

Sampson III had a great game, the type of performance I have been expecting to see out of him. It helped that Iverson got into early foul trouble and wasnt playing well either. Devoe Joseph looks more solid each game for the little minutes he gets. Paul Carter is one of my fav. players, he should start at the 4 and have Sampson 5, Iverson on the pine. I wonder what Bostick has done to get Payton minutes today?? It was a tough road win, I havent been comfortable watching a game since the Penn State blowout, my nerves are shot.

I completely agree on DJ and RS III. Those two guys really carried us both offensively and defensively. Jamal was big off the bench. I also think we shouldn't overlook Paul Carter. He had 6 rebounds in 10 min. He came down with that huge board at the end of the game.

I was happy to see JAS have a good game and be a big factor. If he doesn't make shots in the first half, the Gophers trail at the break and who knows what happens from there.

The thing about JAS is while he is limited, he finds a way to score in different ways and does a little of everything. He has also gotten pretty much everything he can out of his ability.

Had a conversation about this with Bleed. My feeling is that Blake needs to learn from JAS. When he was a freshman, Jamal was nothing but a catch-and-shoot guy. He made shots from the outside and that was about it. Since then, he's learned to score in different ways. Today, for example, he only made 1 of 5 three-pointers, but made all three of his other FG attempts.

Blake was a one-trick guy as a freshman. He could shoot and that was about it. After the way teams defended him late in the Big Ten season last year, I would have thought that he would have made adjustments coming into this season. He would add a one or two dribble and rise move. He would prove he could bounce it at least a little. But none of that has happened. To me, Big Ten numbers are a true indicator of a player. Games are closer, scouting reports are better, etc. Now, eight games in, Blake has been been the biggest disappointment. He really added little to his game.

In eight games he has taken 5 shots that weren't three-pointers. I don't get that. That his shot hasn't been falling isn't the issue to me. The issue is that he isn't doing anything else. At all.

Here's a little tidbit for you. Blake has now played 175 minutes in Big Ten games and has scored 23 points. JAS has played 77 minutes and has scored 25 points.

Big Ralph

Gotta love RSIII's play lately and this isn't a knock on him, just a trivial observation;

Does Ralph have more air balls from INSIDE the arc than anybody that's worn a Gopher uniform in decades? Wow. I know he's got some range on his jumper and must make enough to not be discouraged against shooting in games but some of his misses are frighteningly off the mark.

Great game today though, came up big when the Gophers needed him. Six blocks, and for the most part continues to keep his feet, not go for pump fakes to make his blocks. Gotta love that.

Great game by the freshman today. It great to see him make some nice points close to the basket. On the defensive side he contests every shot, and with his length is a huge asset.

I would like to see him take it a step farther and defend post position better and post up stronger. With his length he can get away with it but as he gets stronger his ability to establish offensive and defensive position will make him a beast.

Very exciting to see him make strides like he did today. Keep it up!

If you were able to watch closely, I was impressed with Ralph's willingness to mix it up with Pritchard....they were really banging and Ralph was doing his share of the "giving".

Does Ralph have more air balls from INSIDE the arc than anybody that's worn a Gopher uniform in decades? Wow. I know he's got some range on his jumper and must make enough to not be discouraged against shooting in games but some of his misses are frighteningly off the mark.

Ogee, I've noticed this too. The air balls that I've seen come from Ralph this year, almost everyone that I have seen has been either: A) rushed (freshman mistake) or B) Ralph has found himself wide open to the point where he's got that "wow, I'm all alone" look and then shoots it out of rhythm because of it. (freshman mistake)

Both of these things are going to be just fine next season, I'd assume. Ralph is a quiet kid, but he has some very nice tools out on the court. His ability (and willingness) to take that 10-18ft jump shot is fine by me. Bigs need to be able to step out and hit that from that spot because it allows for cutters to get something going to the rim. The best part about that is, Ralph is also one of the best passers on the team this year.

Yeah, Ralph's outside shooting issues are much more mental than anything. His form on the shots he misses look absolutely nothing like his shots in warmups.

Sampson played huge today and he and JAS were the difference makers for us escaping with a win.

I really wish we'd get back to our full court trap - with our athleticism and depth, I'd like to see us apply it every game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290250084

Go Gophers!!

I think Ralph reminds me a little bit of Dan Coleman, but better defensively. They have similar builds and like Coleman, Ralph likes to play facing the basket on the offensive end.

Though Ralph's persona doesn't reflect his game, an improvement over Coleman.

Does Ralph have more air balls from INSIDE the arc than anybody that's worn a Gopher uniform in decades? Wow.

There have been several from RSIII this year, no doubt, but until he air balls a layup he will always be behind Miles Tarver on any all-time list.

There have been several from RSIII this year, no doubt, but until he air balls a layup he will always be behind Miles Tarver on any all-time list.
I really liked Miles for the things he did on the floor, but I struggled without success to remember a worse shooter.

Now for me, Paul Carter's shooting woes have been worse than Sampson's. Yes, RS3 from mid-range on out has been brutal, but he's very effective in close. Carter has all these nice moves to get off easy open and sometimes close-in shots, but just cannot get them to fall with any regularity.

Top Bottom