JAS and Hoffarber

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
A win on the road in the Big Ten is always good so I'm happy about the outcome. But I've been a little confused at the rotation Tubby's been using lately. I like JAS, he works hard and had a nice game today, knocking down a few shots. But I don't understand why he is playing as much as he is. The only thing he does well is shoot and even then, he's inconsistent. JAS doesn't develop shots on his own. Look what happened in the last minute. He got the ball at the 3-point line with about 6 seconds left on the shot clock, didn't have the shot from there, so dribbled back about 5 feet and threw it to Damian 10 feet behind the 3-point line. He was afraid to make something happen on his own, and pretty much said "here Damian, you do something."

Hoffarber is a good player when he's hitting his outside shots, but he's not right now and his minutes need to be reduced as well IMO. He's just like JAS, can shoot but that's about it. Then Tubby had them both in at the same time for several periods of the game. Al Nolen had to creative everything while we have two guys that just spot up and shoot.

I felt we were much more athletic than Indiana, except for these two guys. Why Bostick hardly saw the court, I have no idea. Carter played some but not a lot. I don't think Iverson played at all in the 2nd half. I'd like to see Joseph playing a few minutes at the 2-spot with Nolen. We did that earlier this year a few times but haven't seen it much lately.

Rotation

Good post. I've been confused about the line-ups too. RSIII did very well, but not sure why Iverson didn't get more minutes. For a stretch there, we didn't have a true C on the floor and they pounded it inside against us. 5-0 or 6-0 run is all, but still could have been disasterous.
Bostic saw very little of the floor. Seems like he's way more athletic than some of the guys that have gotten minutes, but maybe Tubby still sees defensive shortcomings. I would think his athleticsm has to make up for it at some point.

Bostick's lack of concern to play defense at the end of the first half on the half-court shot was a cardinal sin. He will warm a spot on the bench for a while. Hoff is really struggling and it's definitely turned into a mind game - did you see his demeanor on the missed 3 free throws? I wonder if the line moving back has claimed a great shooter?

Top Bottom