Colt 45

Gopherthewin

Gopher Fan
Reaction score
Why does Colton start if he plays for the first 4 minutes, gets two fouls, and then never steps on the court the rest of the game? Props to RS3 today.

Excellent question. I think he could have done a lot of the things RSIII did today if he was in there. This was a perfect game to try out having both big guys in there at once because IU was smaller than us but still slow enough that we would still have a quickness advantage with both freshman in there.

Colton needs more minutes, however he needs to stay out of foul trouble. I think he can be an asset on the offensive end if he gets more touches. Colt45 and Bostick are guys that puzzle me, in the fact that they can't seem to get off the bench sometimes.

I don't agree that Iverson could have done w/ Ralph did today. they are not interchangeable in their skills. Ralph has proved he can stay w/ the bigs in the B10...Iverson has leveled off. don't get me wrong, he made great strides for a Frosh big in the first half of the season, he just seems a little confused in B10 play. where as Ralph started out more slowly but has elevated his game in each contest and continues to grow. I like them both, but I think they bring different things to our inside game. right now Ralph brings more to the table, he has a very high bball IQ and it shows...I can't wait to see what they keep bringing as they mature, gain height/weight, and become Sophmores (and beyond).

Yeah, RSIII played great today, but he is incredibly hit or miss. As his career moves along he will get more consistent. I don't agree Iverson has leveled off. He needs to touch the basketball more than 5 times a game, he needs an opportunity to prove himself.

that's very true. I was pretty surprised he didn't see the floor today in the 2nd half...he is definitely under-utilized.

I think we need RSIII defense today but it would have been a big confidence builder for Colt if we could have gotten his some quality offensive touches vs. Pritchard. Key for him is to stay out of foul trouble but I guess it doesn't matter if you don't play in the 2nd half.

The line-up that IU used was not a good one to have both bigs on the floor at the same time. Ralph was in a groove today and Tubby road it out. Sampson has a great shot inside, I just wish he would stop shooting the 15 foot shot.

Correct, you have to reward Sampson for playing well. But when he is on the bench, Iverson is a much better backup center than Carter. Did Williams not even suit up today? Carter plays much bigger than his size, but he will eventually play forward so why stick him with 250lb post players???

This is the second game in a row that Big Jon has been out with an injury

I also would like to see RSIII's shots come from inside. No more 15 footers. I don't think I've seen him make one yet. It will be fun to see him mature (gain muscle, get more aggressive, etc.) over the next 3.5 years. I do wish Iverson would get some more minutes though......

Reminder all: This is why we had a cupcake preseason, to get these guys in the game and developing. Now that we are in the heart and heat of the BT schedule, minutes are going to evaporate for some as Tubby tries to ride whatever wave may be building. Yes, Iverson needs time to develop, as does Bostick and Carter to get better and contribute, but the luxury of time and space for this is gone if they can't produce in what opportunity they are given. We needed to get the W today and Tubby got it done as he saw fit. I thought we might put some numbers up in the second half and make some space and then I imagine we'd seen some other players.

Most of the criticism Tubby has had is that he is playing too many players.

well said Moonlight. there has been a lot of criticism on this board of Tubby's deep bench...and then there is also complaining when guys don't get enough minutes. for the most part, I trust Tubby's coaching and substituting.

I don't think Sampson has a higher bball IQ than Iverson (as Hofferette suggests), nor that is he is necessarily a better defender than Iverson. Sampson just gets way more time on the floor to develop his game, including making a high number of mistakes and taking those 15 ft shots outside the key (when Tubby is riding the guards to get the ball INSIDE the key).

It seems that Iverson plays well when Nolen is on the floor and he pretty much tries to handle just about any ball thrown his way. Iverson is more aggressive around the basket than Sampson--both offensively and defensively which is why he gets more fouls. If Tubby is going to sit him on the bench anyway, he might as well give Iverson a chance to foul out on occasion so that his learning curve isn't stunted.

The intensity of play around the key just goes way down with Iverson on the bench. There was a missed opportunity today against IU's Pritchard (whom I think Iverson matched up well with inside). Two fouls in the first half should not put a big on bench for the duration of a game. The final score might not have been so close with Iverson off the bench IMO.

Tubby is trying to win basketball games and some of you guys are concerned about playing time for your favorite players. For months Tubby has been watching and evaluating every kid on the team seven days a week during practice and in games. He knows what they can do and not do. If they are not getting it done in practice why would Tubby trust them to get it done in games? Not everyone is up to Big 10 competition in their freshman year. Iverson would be getting his share of playing time if he was doing all of the things Tubby wanted him to do.

Tubby is trying to win basketball games and some of you guys are concerned about playing time for your favorite players. For months Tubby has been watching and evaluating every kid on the team seven days a week during practice and in games. He knows what they can do and not do. If they are not getting it done in practice why would Tubby trust them to get it done in games? Not everyone is up to Big 10 competition in their freshman year. Iverson would be getting his share of playing time if he was doing all of the things Tubby wanted him to do.

I am not concerned about playing time for anyone on the team, simply just wondering if Colt is not "doing all of the things Tubby wanted him to do" why does Colt 45 start for the Gophers? Usually a team's five starters tend to be the top players on the team.

I would suppose Iverson starts as a reward for what he does in practice and a desire to see him break-out. However, as you can see he has a long way to go in developing his passing skills and an offensive game. I've yet to see him try to do anything other than bank the ball in from under the basket or dunk it, and at that he's only 56%. He gets his opportunity at the very first which is the least important part of the game. Keep working hard Colt45!

Top Bottom