An offensive identity

From the Barn

Reaction score
I have no idea why it took until the second half, but going inside payed big dividends. Sampson and Johnson both played great. Also nice to see some cutters following Nolen into the lane.

This season we have been too perimeter oriented. This makes sense considering we lost our starting center and power forward of last seasons team and replaced them with freshmen. While Spencer wasn't a great big 10 center, he could take people in the post, especially mediocre big men in the league. We need RSIII and Colt45 to develop their offensive games so that we have an inside threat. When we develop that, it should help our offense immensely. If we develop someone to the point where they need to be double teamed, we'll start getting some better looks from the outside.

Another thing I keep noticing with our offense is our less than stellar ball screens/ pick and rolls (wait... someone would actually have to roll to call it that.) Bigs can jump out on our guards. I can't recall an instance this year where we hit someone rolling to the basket for an easy two. Doing so will make our screens more effective since opposing bigs will have to worry about the pick and roll or pick and pop (which I think RSIII could become very good at).

m starting to see a conscious effort to get the ball inside by nolen,hoffaber,and joseph, I'd like to see westbrook do the same instead of trying off balance shots. We'd be shocked to see how good they'd start if all five starters started the game trying to establish the inside game.

Top Bottom