GopherLady's STrib blog: Trevor Mbakwe is a Good Man

I already caught and read that, Bleed. It was an awesome article and a fun, enjoyable read. That GopherLady, aka, Nadine Babu, is one awesome blogger who calls it as she sees it. Damn, I wish i were a younger man. :)

"Ticket from the NIT, to the NCAA." Umm, we made the NCAA last year... Otherwise a nice read.

Well done.

Trevor has a handsome son - how is he on the playground, does he rebound? Tubby should start scouting him - class of 2026?

Unfortunately....

While both Royce and Trevor were going through similar adversity (being suspended), it's unfortunate that apparently Royce did not learn one thing from Trevor last year. Trevor is a few years older than Royce, and Royce should have been able to learn a lot from his elder. It never seemed to happen.

Great story, NB. I was pulling for Trevor last year with everything in me. The guy never said a peep, never complained or whined, and was always there on the sidelines cheering on his team. That spoke volumes about what kind of character he had, at least to me anyway.

"Ticket from the NIT, to the NCAA." Umm, we made the NCAA last year... Otherwise a nice read.

Yeah...thats what she was saying...without Devoe stepping up big time last year...we were an NIT team...his play put us over the top for the NCAAs.

I probably should have been more clear. Before the season began, with no Royce or Trevor and with DJ and Westey gone (mainly DJ) - I honestly didn't think we could make a repeat NCAA appearance until Trevor was cleared to play. With such a weakness at PF, it was crucial he came back. That's what I meant.

While both Royce and Trevor were going through similar adversity (being suspended), it's unfortunate that apparently Royce did not learn one thing from Trevor last year. Trevor is a few years older than Royce, and Royce should have been able to learn a lot from his elder. It never seemed to happen.

Great story, NB. I was pulling for Trevor last year with everything in me. The guy never said a peep, never complained or whined, and was always there on the sidelines cheering on his team. That spoke volumes about what kind of character he had, at least to me anyway.

Thank you - that's also why I find Trevor's behavior so commendable. Especially when you look at guy that's sitting out and presumably innocent. With Royce, he kind of had to serve his time, he pled guilty and didn't handle it well. Instead of making videos, acting up, etc - he was in the gym everyday, practicing, working out, and you can tell, he was ready from day one this year.

@GL - Good article. I can see you have a special place in your heart for TM.

Question: While I totally agree that TM played it straight and did everything asked of him, what do you make of the thoughts of transferring that surfaced this summer and even involved his girlfriend (I guess) posting here on GH with lots of defensive comments? It struck me as quite odd that, after showing extreme patience, waiting for a year, practicing every day, cheering on his teammates, etc. that right when it seemed pretty obvious that the case was finally going to take some sort of significant turn, TM lost his patience and started channeling Royce White.

Any thoughts on this?

p.s. Quite glad he's on the team, and I'm with you, I believe he was innocent all along. I wasn't sure at the time, but the outcome tells me he had nothing to do with it and got screwed.

Question: While I totally agree that TM played it straight and did everything asked of him, what do you make of the thoughts of transferring that surfaced this summer and even involved his girlfriend (I guess) posting here on GH with lots of defensive comments? It struck me as quite odd that, after showing extreme patience, waiting for a year, practicing every day, cheering on his teammates, etc. that right when it seemed pretty obvious that the case was finally going to take some sort of significant turn, TM lost his patience and started channeling Royce White.

Any thoughts on this?

p.s. Quite glad he's on the team, and I'm with you, I believe he was innocent all along. I wasn't sure at the time, but the outcome tells me he had nothing to do with it and got screwed.

I took that as the frustration getting the better of him. Both with the Miami DA and the Minnesota AD. It probably was not his first choice to accept the terms he did. But if he hadn't, it would probably still be going through delays and our AD would still not be letting him play.

I love the last part..'favorite team'. Won't they revoke your Packer Card, GopherLady? But, it's just as well. :)

Hindsight being what it is, I am very satisfied that "Beast" was held out last year, and now he can really help this year, and still again next year to become what he is to become. Sometimes, our misfortunes of the past prepare us and make us better people for the future. The Good Lord does not give us more than we can handle, and for Trevor Mbakwe, this holds true. Good Luck, "Beast", and Go Gophers!!!

What this team needed more than anything the past few years was a Trevor Mbakwe. What I like to call a "staredown" guy. The guy who'll get nose-to-nose with the toughest guy on the other team & not blink first. He hustles, he's plays fierce, he's on the floor diving for balls, he's on the boards, banging people, RIPPING rebounds away & crushing people's spirits with his thunderous dunks. He allows RS3 to play his finesse game unmolested, he allows Colt to bang even harder, he makes all the other guys play as hard as he is & I love it. He's playing like a man on a mission. A man with mouths to feed & two years short years (hopefully) to show/polish his skills before he plays professionally.

Obviously an opinion piece, but one I would have stayed away from. Let's look forward. There is nothing good that can come from looking at his past.

Any thoughts on this?

Honestly, I saw a kid that wanted to play basketball. If his case wasn't resolved by the beginning of the season, there was a good chance Maturi wasn't going to let him play. I think he was frustrated, and was open to other options (Memphis) - and I couldn't blame him. Even though he wouldn't have gotten a waiver, you look at it, and if you have to sit out another year, may as well do it at a school where you're appreciated. I think Trevor still conducted himself very well, but I'm guessing his loved ones didn't have as much patience.

I love the last part..'favorite team'. Won't they revoke your Packer Card, GopherLady? But, it's just as well. :)
Haha - they could never do that! Perhaps you don't know my rankings:
1. Gopher Basketball
2. Packers
3. Gopher Football

Obviously an opinion piece, but one I would have stayed away from. Let's look forward. There is nothing good that can come from looking at his past.

That's why it's my blog, and not yours ;). I think it's very important to look back at history, to learn from it, and possible repeat or not repeat certain things.

Honestly, I saw a kid that wanted to play basketball. If his case wasn't resolved by the beginning of the season, there was a good chance Maturi wasn't going to let him play. I think he was frustrated, and was open to other options (Memphis) - and I couldn't blame him. Even though he wouldn't have gotten a waiver, you look at it, and if you have to sit out another year, may as well do it at a school where you're appreciated. I think Trevor still conducted himself very well, but I'm guessing his loved ones didn't have as much patience.

Thanks GL. Sounds reasonable.

I think it's very important to look back at history, to learn from it, and possible repeat or not repeat certain things.

I agree. The issue is that you apparently don't know the history.

Certainly I will not discuss the facts in this forum, but maybe over a beer one day we'll talk.

Top Bottom