We are getting closer

EG#9

Reaction score
The Basketball program is getting closer to becoming a real contender. I know that's an obvious statement, but two things really stick out to me.

1. We have a large contingent of fans, including myself, who are upset/disappointed by a home loss to Purdue. A Purdue team that was very good last year and had everybody back came to Williams Arena and didn't blow the Gophers out despite not a single Gopher having a good shooting game. Still, this game is looked at like a major missed opportunity...and I much prefer that thinking to finding something to be happy about after a loss.

2. This is probably more interesting, but I counted 20 posts on various topics that have been replied to today. It's a Saturday when the Gophers are not playing and the board has had that kind of traffic? There's a lot more interest in this team than last year and an unbelievable amount more than there was in Monson's last two years. I bet in Monson final year you could find 2 (maybe even 3) different game threads on the first page of the message board. If there was a game Saturday, the discussion of that game (while it was going on) might still be on the first page as we played on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am enjoying seeing so many new posters, with one notable trolling exception, sharing their thoughts on Gopher Basketball.

I hope there won't be too many posts tomorrow because a loss to Indiana this year will certainly generate a lot more posts than a win...and rightly so. Time to get back on track!

and how about our depth? think about the battles for playing time that we are bound to see over the next couple years.

for example (and i am not trying to be 100% accurate with positions or with how the depth chart will actually look):

1:
al nolen
devoe joseph
justin cobbs
bryant allen

2:
lawrence westbrook
blake hoffarber
devron bostick

3:
damian johnson
paul carter
rodney williams

4:
trevor mbakwe
royce white
travis busch

5:
colton iverson
ralph sampson III

not too shabby.

and how about our depth? think about the battles for playing time that we are bound to see over the next couple years.

for example (and i am not trying to be 100% accurate with positions or with how the depth chart will actually look):

1:
al nolen
devoe joseph
justin cobbs
bryant allen

2:
lawrence westbrook
blake hoffarber
devron bostick

3:
damian johnson
paul carter
rodney williams

4:
trevor mbakwe
royce white
travis busch

5:
colton iverson
ralph sampson III

not too shabby.

Looks great and I agree mostly.
I really think Joseph will develop more as a 2 guard more than a pg. I think he is a more explosive scorer and the best 3pt shooter on the team. JMO

But most of the fans sit on their geriatric asses all gamel.

The Basketball program is getting closer to becoming a real contender. I know that's an obvious statement, but two things really stick out to me.

1. We have a large contingent of fans, including myself, who are upset/disappointed by a home loss to

The fans that sit in view of the cameras in the front of the lower deck on the Univ. Ave. side never stand up, unless the depend bag is full.

That factor is why the Clem era Barn has yet to be found. Who are these deadbeats sitting on the University Av. side?

I hope they all get put into a good Albert Lea nursing home before 9/5/09, for the good of TCF Stadium.

Top Bottom