OT: Anyone heard about this??

MRJ

Reaction score
I just saw a note on the Scout website that mentions a Michigan fan is selling his "allegiance" on e-bay in light of their miserable football season. :eek:

The poster noted that the current bid was $41 to Uconn. Holy Baloney!! Where does this rank in fan lunacy? Personally, I found the Wisconsin guy who claimed to be sending letters to recruits and getting a petition signed to get Bielema fired over the top.

That, along with the story about an Oklahoma fan (who was said to be a priest :eek:) who tried to tear off a Texas fan's privates a couple of years ago.

But this might be right there with those cases. What does everyone think??

I'm more curious about the bidders. Does he say how he plans on honoring that allegiance?

My allegiance is not for sale

When it comes to college football, the only thing closely resembling allegiance is directed to the University of Minnesota. It is not guaranteed and I do expect some effort for the program to continue my allegiance, but it certainly is not fragile. I'm not sure that something that can be sold can be called an allegiance.

I just saw a note on the Scout website that mentions a Michigan fan is selling his "allegiance" on e-bay in light of their miserable football season. :eek:

The poster noted that the current bid was $41 to Uconn. Holy Baloney!! Where does this rank in fan lunacy? Personally, I found the Wisconsin guy who claimed to be sending letters to recruits and getting a petition signed to get Bielema fired over the top.

That, along with the story about an Oklahoma fan (who was said to be a priest :eek:) who tried to tear off a Texas fan's privates a couple of years ago.

That guy is a whimp and probably wears a skirt and lipstick! He should try staying loyal to the Gophers for the 4 decade's or so like some of us old farts have done. That's the real test.

This is a dumb publicity stunt for a guy who wants attention.

A true fan wouldn't just dump their team. He or she might want to, but wouldn't. There are many times I wished I wasn't a Gopher fan or a Cubs fan, but for better or worse I can't stop caring about them even if I try.

Yeah, I agree with what you guys are saying.

But still, there is a part of me that goes "YIKES!!!"

I just continually find it amazing how far some people will go based on sports. These are the types that put the "fanatic" back in fan. ;)

As an aside, Schnoodler, I haven't heard. Not sure what constitutes "allegiance" in this case. At a certain level, it would be both interesting and a bit frightening to find out. And like you, I'm not really sure about the bidders either. But like Big L said, this seems like a desperate attempt at attention.

I saw this a few days ago on a different site. I found it interesting only because it seems to prove something I have been saying for years. It's easy to be a fan of a consistently successful team, but it takes a special person to remain a fan when your team is struggling. Unfortunately, as Gopher fans, we know this all too well.

It is interesting to watch the behavior of fans in places like Ann Arbor, South Bend and Knoxville when their teams are not in the middle of conference and national championship talks. It seems like a fair number of their followers are really fans of the success and not of the team (if that makes any sense).

A true fan can still be disgusted by their team's performance on a given day or in a given season. But a I don't see how a true fan could ever change allegiances.

I agree

That guy is a whimp and probably wears a skirt and lipstick! He should try staying loyal to the Gophers for the 4 decade's or so like some of us old farts have done. That's the real test.

We are the best fans in the country--all 10,000 of us. Seriously! Anyone who has stuck with the Goph's for over 30 years should get a medal of some sort.

Top Bottom