Charley Walters - reffing and retiring

nooram

Leave my member out of it!
Reaction score
Rich Falk, associate Big Ten Conference commissioner overseeing basketball officials, attended the Gophers-Purdue basketball game Thursday night at Williams Arena.
I am hopeful he did not like what he saw (calls both ways)

Pssst: The Gophers will retire Trent Tucker's No. 32 basketball jersey on Feb. 10 at a Williams Arena ceremony during a game against Indiana. Meanwhile, another former Gophers star, Randy Breuer, isn't thrilled about the glaring omission of not having had his No. 45 jersey retired.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_11532631

Awesome

Maybe TT will talk about how he is friends with Michael Jordan.

That stuff never gets old!

Wouldn't you consider Breuer a better college basketball player than TT? Tucker certainly had a better pro career, but Big Randy was a 4 year starter who was the "go to" guy most of the times.

Wouldn't you consider Breuer a better college basketball player than TT? Tucker certainly had a better pro career, but Big Randy was a 4 year starter who was the "go to" guy most of the times.
I Agree with that.

Randy's college credentials are solid. He played on a Big Ten champion with Trent, but Randy was the top scorer. And he was a league MVP the following year. Of the guys already in the rafters, only Jim Brewer did both. (Bobby Jackson did it too, but that doesn't count).

I Agree with that.

Randy's college credentials are solid. He played on a Big Ten champion with Trent, but Randy was the top scorer. And he was a league MVP the following year. Of the guys already in the rafters, only Jim Brewer did both. (Bobby Jackson did it too, but that doesn't count).

Mikie, the more I read your posts the more I realize you know nothing about the game of basketball.

Drex96

Mikie, the more I read your posts the more I realize you know nothing about the game of basketball.
Why is that? Because you don't agree with me? Please give a reasoned view why what I said was wrong. Heck, pick out some other things I've said recently that has been way off base, but just don't wimp out with some vague attack.

While I believe Trent was a better NBA player than Randy, I believe Randy was better while wearing Maroon & Gold than Trent. What's more important for getting your number in the rafters of The Barn?

Why is that? Because you don't agree with me? Please give a reasoned view why what I said was wrong. Heck, pick out some other things I've said recently that has been way off base, but just don't wimp out with some vague attack.

While I believe Trent was a better NBA player than Randy, I believe Randy was better while wearing Maroon & Gold than Trent. What's more important for getting your number in the rafters of The Barn?

You know what, Mikie, I absolutely disagree with you (and anyone else who thinks TT doesn't deserve this honor ahead of Breuer). Because a "reasoned view" is usually lost on you, let's just leave it at that.

Obviously the UMN Administration believe Trent Tucker's contributions are more significant than Randy Breuer's at this time. I happen to agree with their "reasoning"/decision. Nuff said.

You know what, Mikie, I absolutely disagree with you (and anyone else who thinks TT doesn't deserve this honor ahead of Breuer). Because a "reasoned view" is usually lost on you, let's just leave it at that.

Obviously the UMN Administration believe Trent Tucker's contributions are more significant than Randy Breuer's at this time. I happen to agree with their "reasoning"/decision. Nuff said.
I don't think I'll "just leave it at that". Just because a "reasoned view" may be lost on me, perhaps there are others on this board that would benefit from your wisdom.

FWIW, here's some stuff that supports my "reasoned view":

1) Randy Breuer as a junior was the leading scorer and rebounder for the 1981 Big Ten champs. Darryl Mitchell was the Gopher's team MVP that year.

2) Randy Breuer was Big Ten MVP as a senior. Tucker none.

3) Breuer was All Big Ten 1st team twice. Tucker made 2nd team once.

4) At the time he graduated, Breuer ranked 2nd all-time in Gopher scoring (1777) to Mychal Thompson (1992) and ahead of Kevin McHale (1704). Tucker had 1445.

5) At the time he graduated, Breuer ranked third all time in Gopher rebounding to Thompson (956) and McHale (950).

6) And in the NBA: Trent averaged 8.2 pts, 2.0 reb and 2.0 assists in 756 games. Randy averaged 6.8 pts, 4.4 reb and 0.9 assists in 681 games.

OK Dex96, shall we "just leave it at that"?

Tucker was great no doubt about it. But I have to agree with my memory and Mikie's numbers. I would put Breuer up there with - or even ahead of - TT.

And as I just read in another post Tucker recently just got his degree - perhaps that has an influence.

I'll weigh in on the side of Breuer also. He's probably being skipped over because he's not as close to the program as Tucker is right now.

Drex, your view is not as reasoned as you think.

Mike, you're right on. (And don't pay mind to vague attacks.) I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable with Trent's inclusion - not just because of someone's like Breuer's exclusion but also because of a lot of the old time greats' exclusion. It seems to me this is as much of a kowtowing to Tucker's popularity and his ongoing association with the U as it is a recognition of his achievements with the Gopher BB squads he was on.

Glad you cited those stats. It backs up my recollections of that championship year. Mitchell WAS the team MVP - in truth as well as in name - and Randy was a close #2.

This is not an attack on Tucker. He's one of my fav's. I love the way he's stuck around town and contributed to both the U and the community. But being a favorite is different than being in legitimate line for this kind of honor.

Top Bottom