Changes are coming...

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Looks like some of you will get what you are asking for:

(from Myron's gamer on the Strib site)

"As players went 1-on-1, searching for another second-half comeback à la their overtime victory at Wisconsin a week earlier, they chose running layups and errant jump shots over post plays. Smith decided it's time to make a change to the offensive schemes of a team that has been down by 10 points or more in four of its past five games.

He said some of his players, like Nolen, forced shots down the stretch instead of deferring to teammates. Smith also said that he wants freshmen Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson, who each scored six points Thursday, to get more touches."

"We've got to find somebody that's willing to pass the ball inside," Smith said. "We're going to do that. It's been a big part of our problem, but we'll get that resolved."

One thing is for sure, Tubby WILL make adjustments. At least we know that. Should be interesting.

So would Tubby's comments regarding the lack of post touches indict Nolen and the other players instead of his offensive scheme? Not Tubby's fault the other guys can't get it into the bucket. However, the only "problem" I have with Tubby is the huge rotation he has with the players. Didn't Katz just have something about him probably moving to a smaller rotation yet every guy got minutes aside from Williams and Payton.

So would Tubby's comments regarding the lack of post touches indict Nolen and the other players instead of his offensive scheme? Not Tubby's fault the other guys can't get it into the bucket. However, the only "problem" I have with Tubby is the huge rotation he has with the players. Didn't Katz just have something about him probably moving to a smaller rotation yet every guy got minutes aside from Williams and Payton.

Well, the only "post" that seems to know how to catch the ball in tight defense is Iverson and sometimes Carter. BTW: I don't consider Johnson a "post" player, but maybe he'll have to start playing a hybrid version of that position, since he is the Gophers' most consistent player.

Iverson only played 11 minutes (6 pts total) tonight. Maybe if Iverson had more minutes, the "post" player would have gotten the ball more. Maybe that's the "change" Tubby's talking about.

On the other hand, Sampson played 25 minutes (also 6 pts total) and most of his offensive minutes were spent at the top of the key, not down low. He needs to spend more time down low and expect to get a "hard" pass.

More "touches" isn't what the Gopher needed tonight, it was more points.

Look at the assist total the last few games

I am the first to acknowledge the tough defense Purdue played last night. I think our assist total was 5! Amazing how the Boilers had open looks and shot nearly 50% and we had hands in the face and shot 30%. Everyone wonders why the Hoff is shooting poorly...with a few exceptions he has someone in his face. The point guard from NW and all the Purdue team had Open looks at 3s. Surprise, surprise they shoot a better %. Norman Dale needs to step in and tell Westie and Nolen than they have a bunch of teammates on the floor.

The O has been reduced to Nolen & Westbrook dribbling around and taking uncontrolled drives to the basket and, especially Nolen, not a clue what to do once they get there. We need guards to do that when open but I would rather see DJ, Carter and Bostock take that role.

I want see a motion offense, back door cuts, hi/low, weakside cuts, less dribbling and more passing. A team concept. The 3's will be there

I give Tubby high marks for rejuvenating the program. But I have not been impressed with his offense and has allowed the guys to go playground.

Great post Bayfield - that sums it up. They were overplaying us way out on the floor and we have no answer. We looked like TJack against a blitz.

especially Nolen, not a clue what to do once they get there.

I did like Al's new spin move that he's added to his game. :)

Is this the second or third time Tubby was going to make sure that the ball goes inside?

The rest of the story ...

From Myron's game summary in the Trib:

They had cut Purdue's lead to five with 16 minutes left on a Devoe Joseph jumper.
A few plays later, a loose ball bounced and bounced and bounced ... without an all-out effort to grab it from the five Gophers who needed it. That missed opportunity found its way into the hands of Keaton Grant, who hit a three-pointer that gave the Boilermakers a 12-point lead.

Devoe came out of the game with the score at 35-40. With Nolan back in, Purdue scored the next 7 points (including the a fore mentioned loose ball) and soon had a 16 point advantage.

This is the second game in a row that the opponent has gone off on a big run after Nolan has replaced Joseph. Against NU, Joseph had just hit three straight jumpers to give the Gophers a 9-point first-half lead, then Nolan comes in and the Gophers are outscored something like 20-4.

Top Bottom