Ed Hightower...

The Big L

Reaction score
Is brutal. Every time I see that he is reffing a Gopher game, or even a game I'm watching on TV, I cringe. This is because I am going to have to watch the Ed Hightower show instead of a basketball game.

Now, I'm not blaming the loss on Hightower at all. I think his calls even out, or at least they did today. But it is so frustrating to see him take over the game. What a surprise, one minute in, he has called two fouls on one Purdue player. And his huge hand motions, his whole attitude in general. Ugh. It just seems like all he wants to do is call attention to himself. So many bizzare calls, so many ticky-tack calls one minute, and then letting physical play go another minute.

I'm sorry for this rant, but I hate watching games he officiates, and combined with the loss, I had to spout.

Can't stand him either. Every time he makes a call, he makes sure he gets in that player's face and repeats his hand motions about 5 times.

It's one thing to hard-sell a call if it's close, in traffic, or otherwise when conditions warrant.

It's something different to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU MAKE A CALL. The way that college refs signal drives me up the wall to begin with, and having a hotdog like Hightower only makes it worse.

If there is one thing all college basketball fans can agree on is that Ed Hightower needs to hang it up.

What we all need to realize is that its Ed hightowers world and we are all just living in it....

How was it not traveling when Hummel had the ball and was flopping around on the floor like a fish??

Also, how was it a foul on Al when he and Kramer were going after that loose ball? Wasn't it Al that got pushed to the ground??

Yea, he's a F*cker if I can say that. My blood was boiling at last nights game.

Then he comes over by the Student Section and tries to down play it and open up a report with the crowd.

Meanwhile, we are screaming at him, he pretends to trip over the camera guys cord and then giggle.

Every time I get mad at Eddie

I just look at his hair. And I think, "Wow, you are really ugly."

Then I feel better.

If you like his hair now, watch a tape of a game from 10 or 15 years ago... He must've used that foam or something cuz he has a lot more now than he did back then.

To be honest, gopherholers, I really felt that the game was very well officiated.

"To be honest, gopherholers, I really felt that the game was very well officiated."

I have to respectfully disagree, though I will add that I don't feel either team gained an advantage. I saw several seemingly obvious calls not made or botched against both teams.

My biggest Hightower pet peeve is when he repeatedly points (two or three times) to the player who last touched the ball on the way out of bounds, but the actual signal for possession is going the opposite direction. That's a minor detail that hits to other people's points about how outrageous some of his gesturing has become.

Refereeing can be bad even when it doesn't determine the outcome of the game, Dr. Don. What do you base you opinion on?

I agree 100% with parkinglotgopher...Hightower was terrible, but was terrible both ways.

Eddie Hightower the new Jim Bain

Biggest memory runner up; Jim Bane's atrocious call with 50 seconds left in Allen Fieldhouse. Called a charge on Ramos from past half court, when the official under the basket had signaled blocking foul-basket good - and one. If the three point play counted and it would have with Ramos shooting 80 some percent from the line, we'd have been up 3 and they would have had a tough time catching up. Single worst call of my career.

We have always had one particularly bad ref in the Big Ten. Eddie hightower is this generations Jim Bane. Anyone who went to the Barn in the 80's has got to remember this guy. It is alleged that he once called a technical on the TV play by play guy.

The above quote is from Nebraska Cornhusker Hall of famer Beau Reid. Sounds like something Eddie would have no problem doing.

Top Bottom