Bob Knight comments?

Reaction score
Being at the game i didn't get to hear bobby knights commentary. He's one of the few guys who's opinion i care about. What did he have to say about our team?

Being at the game i didn't get to hear bobby knights commentary. He's one of the few guys who's opinion i care about. What did he have to say about our team?

Loves Tubby, thought we weren't patient enough on offense.

He confirmed his close friendship with Sid Hartman and Bud Grant. They all had dinner last night and Paul Molitor was also there.

There was a segment where he talked about how he used to hate jumping onto the raised floor as a coach. He swore 3 or 4 times in a 30 second clip and they bleeped it out, that was funny.

Replay on ESPN360 if you want to watch.

Agree, the main thing I got out of what Knight was saying was that we were forcing too many shots. Much of that had to do with Purdue's defense I think though. Yeah, that clip where he was doing a mock-swearing at the refs was pretty good!

There was a segment where he talked about how he used to hate jumping onto the raised floor as a coach. He swore 3 or 4 times in a 30 second clip and they bleeped it out, that was funny.

I was watching the game by myself and was laughing out loud. It was great.

I loved Bobby Knight's commentary on the game and he was right on the money. After listening to him, you realize how much he knows about basketball. He blows the doors off most comentators and has forgotten more about basketball than most people know.

At one point, he and Hightower had a little back-and-forth, and Musberger cracked that Knight would be the first announcer to get T'ed up. Knight was joking that he had never seen so many traveling calls in that building.

I really enjoyed it when he talked about how the BarnYard loved him last night, but when he was coaching a game here, it was not that way, and he and Brent M had a good laugh at that too. I enjoyed his commentary.

I found Bobby Knight's comments refreshing. I get sick of the announcers who strictly praise players and do not point out poor play. Knight is just as quick to highlight poor plays as great plays.

Hands down my favorite point of the broadcast was when Knight took off his headset and yelled to Hightower that he was going to set a record for traveling calls. It was kind of muffled but you could still make it out. Classic Bobby Knight!

The best was when he did the "i'm not worthy" bow to the reffing crew after a traveling call. He said he's been trying to get refs to call travelling for 30 years.....I was surprised at how relaxed and genuine he was, knowing his distaste for all things media.

I'd take him for the rest of the hoops season. The other announcers are so removed from the game. Like Dicky V, the guy can't take off his NCAA is amazing sunglasses to see a bad call here and there. Bobby was right on the whole way.

this was the first game that I watched that he has done and he was surprisingly good. He was always asking them for replays so he could show the audience small things that make up the game that usually never get replayed (should have done a ball fake, when to cut, hustle plays as opposed to just dunks, steals). I loved how honest and "off the cuff" he was: they were on the air when Hightower walked by and Knight took of his headset to give him crap about traveling (you could hear him yelling in the background).

He didn't seem at all distracted having Sid's lips firmly planted on his behind the entire game.

I thought it was funny when he was showing how he would climb on and off the benches to get to the floor before they had steps. That was hilarious.

Knight rambled

For the most part I liked his honesty and blunt analysis of the play. However, a few times he rambled on about a posession that happened three series ago. He kind of beat a dead horse about taking a shot too early in the shot clock and how much less time would have been left (PU forced a fast break and lost the ball), and went on and on. Did that just a couple times. Probably great insight for the non-basketball mind, but got old when he was 2 minutes behind on the commentary.

>>a few times he rambled on about a posession that happened three series ago.<<

He would be better at breaking down game film than analyzing an up-tempo game.

Not bad. There was at least one time that I thought his analysis was very interesting. Something along the line of "Tubby's run that play 4 times because the help defense of Purdue has been too slow. That's resulted in FT attempts or made shots." That was cool.

Occasionally I felt that he and Brent got a little lost in their love of the state of Indiana. I mean really, there were two Johnsons on the floor, guys.... A downfall of having well known commentators is that they don't seem to prepare for both teams. They know one team well and have the media guide in front of them for the other... Results ensue...

I remember him saying "roll that back" about a hundred times. Loved looking at replay's. The guys in the truck must have been going nuts.

Off Topic Reply

One of my co-workers at CNA played for Knight at Army in mid 1960's.

He says Knight was unbelievably tough back then but he still hears from RMK once or twice a year.

Just happened to catch a few minutes of Dan Cole on KFAN Friday, and he was seriously ripping on Knight's work. So that confirms it - BK's doing a good job. There's nothing Common hates more than true talent and performance.

Echo what others are saying. Not the classical analysis you might get elsewhere, but it's a refreshing changeup from the usual. Arguably the way BB analysis should be done for informational and entertainment purposes. I'll take him anytime. I enjoyed when he talked about the type of player he looked for in recruiting (high BB IQ / understands the game).

I have to admit I was a little disappointed in Bob Knight's commentary. It seemed to me that he was only pointing out the obvious. At one point my wife leaned over to me and said, "I wonder why Bobby hasn't told us that if Purdue misses their free throws it will be beneficial to the Gophers." I swear.

Top Bottom