Al Nolen

UofM Fan

Reaction score
First let me say, I'm a big fan of Al's and I think he is the player that makes this team go both offensively and defensively.

With that said his play, like others on the team, has been subpar to say the least in the last 3 games. What continues to worry me is his turnovers have been way up his assists have gone way down. Over the last three games he has 11 Turnovers and only 5 assists.

From watching him it looks like he could beat his man off the dribble at any point in the game but his penetration never seems to get us anywhere. Instead all we get is out of control shots and passes that no freshman post player can reasonably handle. Is it lack of movement or what.

Just curious if others are seeing the same thing and how we can get them team back on track.

It's a great concern. Appears he feels like he should play it like an Howard Pulley game, drive whenever he wants, dump off a pass, sometimes is works sometimes it doesn't. He can do that against the likes of NDSU but doesn't pull it off very well against solid defensive teams.

Teams seem to have figured him out.

Al is in need of some senior leadership at this point. Too bad we don't have any.

In the past, many of us lamented the fact we lacked a PG who could take it to the hoop now. Now we have two guards who can do it but its not controlled. And everyone else is staning around so its easy for the bigs to defend the lane. Tubby should install a motion offense where this weapon can be more effective.

In the past, many of us lamented the fact we lacked a PG who could take it to the hoop now. Now we have two guards who can do it but its not controlled. And everyone else is staning around so its easy for the bigs to defend the lane. Tubby should install a motion offense where this weapon can be more effective.

Bingo. I would love to see more movement while Al drives. Once the defender even turns his head to look at Al driving, we should be cutting. Right now, the D is collapsing, and we have guys standing out on the perimeter, we need more cuts to the basket, and people finding open sopts for mid-range jumpers.

Thanks for confirming my observations! Ive noticed it more and more lately about Nolen. I love his intensity on defense and offense, but he is playing out of control. Perhaps contolled aggressiveness comes with more time, but it actually seems to have gotten worse since big ten play started. Tubby needs to slow him down a little...I totally agree with the "playing like it is Howard Pulley League" statement.

Bayfield & Big L have it diagnosed. Case in point... Travis Busch's trademark mini baseline cut to 12ft. I'd bet that the majority of his shots have come from that play and provides him a uncontested J.
Devoe seems to be a traditional pg and may provide a lift in a motion gameplan.
I like the core lineup of Nolen, Joseph, Johnson, Carter and Iverson.
Top reserves of Westbrook, RS3, Busch

Nolen's big problem is that he can't get the ball to people in a position to score. It would be great is Sampson had the hands of a wide receiver, but he doesn't, and no amount of 90 mph no look passes will change that.

This is a year of learning. Last game perhaps Nolen learned he can drive for the basket and either make the basket and get fouled. We need him to be able to do this, and control will come.
I agree on the difficulties outlined, and yet was interested to see that while Nolen only had 3 assists, only 3 other players had ANY assists. Nolen had more steals than turnovers and was second in rebounds with 5. If someone, anyone had had a good game, this performance would be interpreted differently. I mean, he did lead us in scoring in his "worst performance" this year.
[edit with nod to Drex]

This is a year of learning. Last game perhaps Nolen learned he can drive for the basket and either make the basket and get fouled. We need him to be able to do this, and control will come.
I agree on the difficulties outlined, and yet was interested to see that while Nolen only had 3 assists, only 3 other players had ANY assists. Nolen had more steals than turnovers and was second in rebounds with 5. If someone, anyone had had a good game, this performance would be interpreted differently. I mean, he did lead us in scoring in his worst performance this year.

Place quotations marks around "worst performance" and I agree, Moonlight. That tag line belongs to Tubby.

Top Bottom