NO excuse for losing at home!

6Gophers

If you want to be a legitimate big time program, you MUST win every home game, especially in the conference. I don't care that Purdue is ranked higher than us; there is no excuse for losing this game.

If you want to be a legitimate big time program, you MUST win every home game, especially in the conference. I don't care that Purdue is ranked higher than us; there is no excuse for losing this game.

tell that to MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin.....

Let's hope Minnesota can win some big games on the road besides Wisconsin.

I guess Michigan State isn't a legitimate team, either.

I think we arent what we thought we were, but I also think we found out some things about ourselves tonight by playing a better team. Every other team has taken their lumps and took their game to a higher level, thats why the nw game hurt me so bad, because we needed to get the gimmes and be ready to take these losses to the better teams so that by late february there wont be anything we haven't seen

Bummer...wish the BB team would learn some patience and stop throwing up klunckers from 3 point range. There shooting % was terrible.

Though Purdue has a real good defense, the Gophers have not played as good lately as they were earlier for whatever reason and I think that is the most disappointing thing. Hopefully Tubby will straighten them out quickly.

I guess Ohio State (2-0) and Illinois (3-0) are the only legitimate big time programs in the Big Ten. That's the type of expert analysis I come to this site for.

Don't forget North Carolina (lost at home to BC).

UNC is trying like the dickens to become a "legitimate big time program". ... as is UConn (lost at home to Georgetown). ... as is Louisville (lost at home to UNLV). ... as is Memphis (lost at home to Syracuse). ...

UNC is trying like the dickens to become a "legitimate big time program". ... as is UConn (lost at home to Georgetown). ... as is Louisville (lost at home to UNLV). ... as is Memphis (lost at home to Syracuse). ...

And Georgetown just got handled at home by West Virginia.

Seroiusly, you don't wanna lose games at home, but to call two home losses to top 20 teams unacceptable is just stupid. Not many schools go undefeated at home, especially in tough conferences like the Big East, Big 10, or ACC. They key is not losing home games to teams like Penn State, IU, or NU (that's a bad loss for MSU) at home. Though MSU more than makes up for that loss with big road wins they get.

Come on guys, it is college hoops. Any given team, on any given night can win. Our program is better, it is a lot better. But the Dan Munson era wasn't that long ago and a fresh start takes time. You all didn't really think we were better than Purdue? I was as bummed as anybody watching it, but don't act surprised. Purdue is a good team, and we caught them at a bad time because they've hit their stride.

6Gopher is going waaay over the top, but he does have a point. We have to take advantage at home and beat good teams. Wasn't that what held us back last year? We didn't beat Michigan state, Wisconsin, or Indiana at home. Home games give you the chance to knock off someone better or to show you belong.

I'm not trying to imply that the sky is falling, I feel exactly the opposite. We lost to two very good teams, in my opinion, the two best teams in the conference. It's more of an opportunity lost then anything. But we have to take care of business next week against Illinois.

We should win

more games. If that does not work, we get angry and do something about it.

The advantage of the home court should be that they are comfortable and confident. Purdues defense must have done something to get them out of the comfort zone. You are not going to win when you shoot in the 20's% range whether it is at home or away. They are young and inexperienced and it probably does not take that much to get them to start questioning themselves. They will get more comfortable over time I would think. The one thing this team has is a number of different shooters, they won't continue to shoot like this. The tough part is that they have given a couple away at home already. It may be tough to come back from that.

R E L A X!!

A number of you beat me to the punch with the MSU statement...Purdue is a legit team!! We are young and the Big Ten is tough!! Relax a little bit...the sky is not falling!!

Losing at home

"The tough part is that they have given a couple away at home already. It may be tough to come back from that."

So true. We only have one home game the rest of the season that I'd call a gimme'. ... Indiana. The rest I'd expect to be white-knucklers. Yes, we've lost the home games to quality opponents, but the Gophers have made things tough on themselves by losing 2 this early into the season. Their margin for error is dipping with each home loss. Certainly makes beating the worst team in the Big 10 (IU) a must on Sunday.

Hodge, you've had some really good snark lately! That one gave me a chuckle!

So far this year, we are 16-3, which is a lot better than the year I'll compare our team to, which was THE 1978-1979 season. But our young guys remind me of that team sometimes. So much talent, and some degree of difficulty "integrating it".

An example -> People in retrospective and hindsight would say that the team should obviously have had McHale shoot 45% of the time, and Trent Tucker 40%, and let it go at that. But it wasn't obvious at the time to Gary Holmes or Daryl Mitchell or Leo Rautins or Mark Hall. It took those guys a good while to figure out ball distribution, and counter-adjusting to the defense adjusting to their drive plays, and just in general learning patience on the basketball court. They wound up doing allright as seniors, and somehow I suspect that these guys this year will do allright too.

Like another poster said, it really would have only taken two 3-pointers to fall and the complexion of the game would have been different. These guys seem to stay right in a game even when they are playing lousy. IMHO, that's a very very good sign for the future....

....and Minnesota loses to.......Northwestern.......

Top Bottom