When was the last time....

Gopher

Banned
Reaction score
..a Gopher football or basketball team won a game like tonight's that would have legitimized the program? Two games against the best two teams in the conference=not comptetitive. The same thing happened last season as well. I don't know if Gopher football or basketball is capable of getting to the next level. Maybe someday this blind squirrel will find that acorn. I sure has hell hope so. If this team has ANY hope of making the NCAA tourney, they better not lose another home game..NOT ONE.

I totally agree with you, I wrote on the other thread all Gopher teams do this, get the fans hopes up then lose an ESPN home game against a ranked team, im so sick and tired of it every single year? When will we ever beat a team that we should in order to make the tourny. ( I know Purdues good but they shouldnt be destroying us tonight like they are.

..a Gopher football or basketball team won a game like tonight's that would have legitimized the program? Two games against the best two teams in the conference=not comptetitive. The same thing happened last season as well. I don't know if Gopher football or basketball is capable of getting to the next level. Maybe someday this blind squirrel will find that acorn. I sure has hell hope so. If this team has ANY hope of making the NCAA tourney, they better not lose another home game..NOT ONE.

Gopher = Pantherhawk

I totally agree with you, I wrote on the other thread all Gopher teams do this, get the fans hopes up then lose an ESPN home game against a ranked team, im so sick and tired of it every single year? When will we ever beat a team that we should in order to make the tourny. ( I know Purdues good but they shouldnt be destroying us tonight like they are.

goldy2009 = Pantherhawk's pal?

Dude...

..something is SERIOUSLY wrong with you. Seek professional help. It will bee good for you and your family.

Everybody calm down please!!!!

Take a good look at our team. We have a couple of juniors who contribute in Johnson and Westbrook and sometimes Bostick and Busch. Our two seniors, Abu-Shamala and Williams, don't contribute much in terms of points or rebounds. Everybody else is a freshmen or sophomore.

Purdue is also pretty young, as is Michigan State. But their young guys have had at least one full year where they played a lot together and clearly established roles for guys like Hummel, Moore, Kramer, Johnson and so on.

Michigan State has the same thing with Lucas, Morgan, Suton, Summers and so on.

This is the first year for guys like Carter, Joseph, Iverson, and Sampson to play with Nolen, Johnson, Westbrook, Bostick and Busch. As a result, we don't have the experience playing together that some of these other teams have. Next year will be a different story. But right now, we're still a step behind the Spartans and Boilers in terms of this kind of experience. And I think we're seeing the results of that right now.

Those team's young players are better than ours, so we probably will not catch those teams the next year or two. Why are they better, you ask? Look at the results. Our young players are raw and projects, while their young players are not. Tubby is recruiting to Minnesota, after all.

Those team's young players are better than ours, so we probably will not catch those teams the next year or two. Why are they better, you ask? Look at the results. Our young players are raw and projects, while their young players are not. Tubby is recruiting to Minnesota, after all.

Gopher = Iowa troll.

Do not feed the trolls!

If you're so depressed and apathetic about the state of Minnesota basketball, it might be time to find something else to do with your time.

And how to you know that having Mbakwe, Cobbs, Williams and White won't be a huge upgrade over an already pretty promising young team? Mbakwe, Williams and White would all play ALOT on this team. Add another year of experience for this group to go along with those guys and I'm pretty confident we'll be just fine. But if you want to keep on spazzing out about how awful the Minnesota sports programs are, that's your choice.

The facts are the facts. I'll believe it when i SEE IT. Not until then.

It's funny because I thought beating a top ten team on a neutral court legitimized the program. Winning at the Kohl Center didn't hurt either.

If you were actually expecting a Big Ten Title this year I think you are a little delusional. Personally, I came in to the season expecting to win 20 games and be on the bubble for the NCAA tournament. We're still ahead of that pace but there is a lot of season left to go. Maybe the quick start got you excited but talent wise we are not as good as Purdue or Michigan State--the two most talented teams in the conference--and we have still have games remaining against Illinois, Michigan, and another against PSU, OSU and Wisconsin. My hopes are still 22-8 overall, 10-8 in the Big Ten and that is hopefully a top 5 finish in the conference.

ha

Tonight would have legitimized the program? According to who? What if we won tonight and then lost the next one or two? Does that mean we would be legitimized and then DE-legitimized? People throw around these terms as if they actually mean something concrete.

We've lost to the two best teams in the conference, which, quite objectively, means we are not one of the two best teams in the conference. Probably more of a 4 seed in the Big Ten Tourney at the moment.

In the eyes of the NCAA committee, we have NO "bad" losses so far, especially if Northwestern continues to play well. And we have a pair of quality wins, against Louisville and on the road at Wiscy.

The emotional rollercoaster some of y'all go through is unbelievable.

"If you were actually expecting a Big Ten Title this year I think you are a little delusional. Personally, I came in to the season expecting to win 20 games and be on the bubble for the NCAA tournament."

This is exactly it. A common mantra being spewed by people leading up to this year is that a talented but young Gopher team would win some games they probably shouldn't (we have two of those this year) and lose some we shouldn't (jury is still out, but the last two hurt). The amazing start raised expectations to a level they probably didn't deserve to be at.

Enjoy the journey - the program is moving in the right direction. Big 10 Championship banners aren't stitched in a day.

Top Bottom