Which of the final four games . . .

DL65

Reaction score
did you find most disappointing and will be remembered most about the 2008 season? Three of the remaining four games - Northwestern, Michigan, and Iowa - were at home. Ouch!

Northwestern: Northwestern's Backup quarterback runs for over 200 yards. Weber's pass went off Decker's hands in the final seconds and is returned for a game winning Northwestern touchdown. The start of a four game skid.

Michigan: Outplayed by a very poor, struggling Michigan team. A big, big chance to bring home the "Jug," which, unfortunately, will remain in Ann Arbor for another three years. Michigan ended the year with its first eight loss season.

Wisconsin: A great first half effort (21-7 lead) at Madison evaporates in the second half as a result of numerous self-inflicted gaffes. The Paul Bunyan Axe remains in Madison, as Minnesota loses to an overrated, struggling Badger team. The most painful of the three losses, thus far?

Iowa: Iowa 55 Minnesota 0. Enough said!

Go Gophers!!

I-O-W-A

Assuming the Hawks played at the same level as Saturday's debacle, ending that one with a W would have both counted as a "real win" against a quality opponent and ignited the fuse for next season.

The others, although disappointing, were the setup for such an outcome.

Anticipating a far better future, the last game in the 'Dome will be remembered as the bottom from which this program arose.

Go Gophers!

Wisconsin was a pretty good effort, so not that one. Northwestern considering how good they ended up looking was also probably a pretty good effort dispite the heart breaking end. It's between Iowa and Michigan,they seemed flat against both. Iowa after beating Penn is clearly the better team so more understandable of a loss. But that margin was embarrassing. I'll have to go with the Iowa, it'll be talked about for a long time while we'll forget about the Michigan one.

Cosmic Tumblers

I think that NU was a well fought game and though disappointing I don't think it precipated the further slide. Michigan on the other hand seemed to foster more negativity, and I think led to the continued slide. So I'd say the Michigam game, if it can be said it started the slide. Unfortunately, it is the Iowa game that will stick in my mind for some time to come. I just hope that a bowl win is still in the card this year.

MGF

did you find most disappointing and will be remembered most about the 2008 season? Three of the remaining four games - Northwestern, Michigan, and Iowa - were at home. Ouch!

Northwestern: Northwestern's Backup quarterback runs for over 200 yards. Weber's pass went off Decker's hands in the final seconds and is returned for a game winning Northwestern touchdown. The start of a four game skid.

Michigan: Outplayed by a very poor, struggling Michigan team. A big, big chance to bring home the "Jug," which, unfortunately, will remain in Ann Arbor for another three years. Michigan ended the year with its first eight loss season.

Wisconsin: A great first half effort (21-7 lead) at Madison evaporates in the second half as a result of numerous self-inflicted gaffes. The Paul Bunyan Axe remains in Madison, as Minnesota loses to an overrated, struggling Badger team. The most painful of the three losses, thus far?

Iowa: Iowa 55 Minnesota 0. Enough said!

Go Gophers!!

Iowa for sure. unfortunately, I have relatives who are huge supporters of Iowa Hawkeyes, so I will have to "grin and bear it" with them again. Six out of the last seven years (?) they have had bragging rights and its really getting old. I can't wait for next year. I am so pumped about the new recruits and the new stadium and continuing our steady march up to the top of the conference. I expect a similar record next year, but that in my mind will show an imroved team with much tougher opponents on the schedule. Iowa is going to get theirs next year, I know it. The Gophers are going to "remember" this one!!!!!!!

The NU game was by far the most disappointing. I felt we out played them is nearly every facet of the game - except containing the QB. We just could not make that adjustment and it killed a very strong effort.

The WI game was next. I thought that Brewster's decision NOT to try for points after getting the 1st down late in the 2nd quarter sent a damaging message to the team. We have preached aggressive, and when the chance arose, we choose passive (in a very hostile environment).

Frankly, MI and IA both physically man handled us and I did not feel disappointed at all in those outcomes.

Agree, UST, the NU game was a disaster in that it set the table for the end of season slide. Our
confidence was shaken at the wrong time. We recovered somewhat in our Becky performance
but could not sustain the enthusiasm so needed to survive the end of the Big Ten season.

Where would Minnesota be right now if they had played for overtime against Northwestern?

No contest. NU and then Michigan. Two teams I felt we could beat. I never expected a W over Wisky or the Hogeyes.

At this time, Iowa may be the best team in the Big Ten. For sure they are in the top three. Their 4 losses were by a total of 12 points.

I don't know if I have a rational perspective on the Iowa game yet.

As of right now, that was the worst beat-down of the Gophers that I have ever seen. Granted, I wasn't paying much attention to Gopher football in 1983.

We looked like a bad division 1-AA team playing a good BCS-conference team.

The Northwestern game was the most disappointing to me. Monroe hits the gimme FG and the whole complexion of the game changes in the 4th quarter. And Kafka ate us up and while that's disappointing, I don't know how you can prepare for an very athletic QB who absolutely has no idea of what he's doing.

We played reasonably against Wisconsin (except for the shooting one's self in the foot category), but we were totally flat (and flattened) against Michigan and Iowa.

Probably the only gripe I have about the Roof defense is the over pusuit from the weak side. Kafka simply ran counter and nobody was home. I saw it quite a bit. But I think it's a component of the team tackling philosophy. I guess there's always a weakness.

Iowa and NW will be the ones people remember IMHO. Iowa because it was one of the worst losses in school history (and against a rival) and NW because of the way it ended.

I really expected to lose by pretty good margin to IA. The WI game was one of fierce hitting games I have seen and it was played under some really lousy conditions. With our lack of depth, there was no way, in my opinion, that we could physically recover in time to offer the same level of fierce play against IA. Which is why the IA game is not as disappointing to me.

The most disappointing game? Performance-wise it has to be Iowa no question.

But result-wise, I would say NW. I didn't think we had a great shot at beating Iowa, but I was extremely confident that we would beat NW and we should have.

Top Bottom