Iowa game is over, time to move on

MRJ

Reaction score
I admit, I also got a little caught up in the banter with the Hawkeye fans who are currently frequenting the board, but for the sake of sanity, it might be a good idea to move on.

Iowa has a fine football team and will do well in their bowl game. We can only hope for a same kind of bowl game effort from the Gophers.

So, here's where I say good luck to the Hawks and focus on moving forward. Namely, with getting some better players in here heading into 2009.

Not trying to be preachy, but also don't want things to degenerate into even more of a pissing match than has already happened. :eek:

What Bowl do you think we will get I want the Alamo or Champs.

Tray,

Would love either one. But right now, I'm not really choosy either.

I'll be happy with any bowl. But for my money, I would be on Detroit. Everything points to that being our likely destination.

A lot of people would poo poo a trip to Detroit, but I think it would help us in terms of giving the Detroit kids that we're currently recruiting (Gainer and Watkins) another chance to see what Brewster and the Gophers are all about (assuming they haven't made up their minds by then).

Also look at it this way

We don't have to live in Iowa.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99%?

We will be lucky to be in Tempe. 99% we place Ball State in the MCB.

I'll take the other side of that. It may be the most likely scenario but the odds of Oregon beating Oregon State are better than 1%. Oregon State losing would most likely move Ohio State in to the last BCS at large position and everyone in the Big Ten would move up one bowl (Gophers likely to Inisght).

Furthermore, Ball State still needs to win two games to get there. They play Western Michigan this week to clinch their half of the division. That is the same Western Michigan that beat Illinois and would clinch a tie with Ball State (and Central Michigan) with a win. Central Michigan would win the tie breaker. If Ball State beats W. Michigan then they still have to beat Buffalo.

However you slice it, the odds off us playing Ball State in the Motor City Bowl are less than 99%.

We don't have to live in Iowa.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet according to DL65's 2008 Unscientific Survey many GHers Do live in Iowa, to say nothing of Wisconsin.

Out-of State Locations:
Alaska - 1
Arkansas - 1
California - 5
Colorado - 2
Connecticut - 1
D. C. - 1
Florida - 2
Georgia - 1
Idaho - 1
Illinois - 3
Iowa - 7
Kentucky -1
Louisiana - 1
Maine - 1
Massachusetts -2
Michigan - 1
Nebraska - 1
Nevada - 1
New Jersey - 2
New York -1
North Carolina - 1
North Dakota - 1
Ohio - 1
Pennsylvania - 3
South Dakota - 2
Texas - 3
Washington - 1
Wisconsin - 9

Way to support your fellow Gopher fans!!

I just hope Oregon wins, and that Iowa can go to Florida, and the Gophers can go to Arizona or Florida.

I agree with MRJ, and look forward to seeing the Big Ten doi well in the bowl games.

I also like the fact that you guys are out of the Metrodome, and have a beautiful new stadium. I know it will be tough to get a ticket, but I hope to see the MN/IA game in 2010.

Remember that 90 % of MN and IA fans are great people.

Good luck, Gophers.

Well said bell. I couldn't agree more. I had a great time talking with many of the Gopher fans at Maxwell's before and after the game. Good luck to the Gophers in the bowl game (and to all the Big Ten teams, for that matter).

To the Hawkeye fans that responded:

Thanks for the kind words. It's sometimes easy to forget that at the root of a heated rivalry is a passion for what happens with our respective teams. And, alas, that's what is great about all sports. :)

Also, who do you guys think you will be playing in whatever bowl you end up in??

I think we're all pretty much resigned to our MAC opponent in Detroit. And I must admit, from this side of the border, it feels like we made a pretty big upgrade in the coaching department today.

Tim Davis vs. Phil Meyer? To quote Geronimo from "Geronimo: An American Legend.": "We'll take Davis, I like Davis."

MRJ, I don't think that Iowa should jump MSU or NW in the bowl pecking order - after all they had better records and beat the Hawkeyes head to head. But, with that said, I would love to see Iowa get an invite to the Alamo Bowl and get a crack at Nebraska. That is a game I would like to see scheduled every year. It's a short 4.5/5 hour drive from Iowa City to Lincoln, faster if you follow the flow on I-80 - even if that means dumping Iowa State.

St. PaulHawkeye,

I would think that Nebraska would be a pretty favorable matchup for the Hawks. Nebraska has had some decent moments, but with Greene and Stanzi continuing to work well in the short and intermediate passing routes, I would think Iowa has a better than average chance of beating the Cornhuskers.

Plus, I've heard a lot of good things about San Antonio as a bowl destination.

In any case, good luck!!:)

Top Bottom