Fire Lucia Now!!

Nhlpa99

Reaction score
I have coached hockey for 17 years now and this is embarrassing right now. We have no fore check, and our defense never steps up in neutral zone and sag back in defensive zone so far all they do is screen the goalie. Over the past 3 years our biggest problem in the offensive zone is the number of shots that miss the net. This is so easy to fix but yet has shown no signs of improvement. Lucia needs to put on ban on one-timers until someone shows they are capable. 100% of this teams problems comes from poor coaching. Sorry Lucia but this team has become embarrasing! You gotta go!

I know nothing about Hockey other than the fact the Gophers were consistently in the Chase or Won National Championships. If seems at least a couple years since the last Title, but the bar seems to have been lowered. I don't know if its recruiting, coaching, or the NHL.

Fie lucia

Ya, players leaving for the nhl are a small part for sure but most wcha teams experience the same thing. Just almost unwatchable now

They get out hustled to most of the lose puck and the forwards get caught watching the puck in the defensive zone instead of covering up the open man on the crease. It would make a peewee coach mad. They just play lazy hockey.

They get out hustled to most of the lose puck and the forwards get caught watching the puck in the defensive zone instead of covering up the open man on the crease. It would make a peewee coach mad. They just play lazy hockey.

Best analysis of the program's shortcomings of late.

Cannot agree more that he must move on. My dislike of his recent teams is that all the players he recruits are not very physical, and are pushed around in the corners and crease area. You have to have a half dozen bangers with size and a nasty attitude, not the unbroken egg carriers that he always seems to bring in. Pretty hockey usually loses.

I'm not sure how or why the wheels have fallen off the last few years but its time for a change. No need to do it mid-season, that doesn't really solve much. Take the time to find a successor.

The solution to everything.... Fire them. Does not work that way, little ones.

We need to get back to the days when teams would come to Williams/Marriucci and would consider success not getting swept. I think the Don has lost that.

Will there be a coach at the U that was there 5 years ago?

Not according to the experts here, whose only solution is to fire everyone. I can't wait to hire them, and then fire them.

Not according to the experts here, whose only solution is to fire everyone. I can't wait to hire them, and then fire them.

Its not the only solution, but if things don't improve it needs to be one that is considered. This is the U's premier program and teams are skating all over us in our own rink. If coach wants to keep his job he needs to get his players to change this ASAP. He has his pick of some of the top players in the country and his teams have been playing very uninspired hockey. Its his program and if he wants it to stay that way he needs to make sure things get turned around. Fair or not, he's the boss and the face of the program.

Coaches get fired when they don't perform. It's the same at every college. It's like in baseball when the pitcher isn't getting it done, the pitcher gets pulled from the game. Some people are overly attached to coaches, and can't get over it when they are fired.

Bring in Blais with Guentzel as his top assistant and he can take over when Dean retires in 5 years. Our recruiting went right in the crapper when Guentzel left the program.

Now that we saw the embarassment that was the series vs UAA, the season is done. Can we fire him now?

I think his contract expires next year. But 5th place doesn't cut it for what WAS arguably THE premier sport at the school.

If we have a suitable replacement...but who I dont think Blais wants it he maybe too old to change jobs again.

Exactly...think Guentzel would come by himself?

Pardon the ignorance, but what is Guentzel doing right now?

48 hours later, this still just sucks! And when I read in the Strib that Maturi is planning no changes for next year, my heart sunk. I just genuinely feel that Lucia has really lost his locker room. He doesn't/can't inspire 60+ minutes of hard work out of his squad. Between these guys and the Wild, Minnesota's "state of hockey" is in the crapper. Will someone please do something noteworthy to restore the landscape of big time hockey around here?

Sorry for the rant...I don't live in MN anymore, and no one here in VA gives a hoot, so the Hole is my only outlet. Wish I didn't have to rant!

Go Gophers!

So, why did we let Dean Blais go down to UNO?

Rosen said tonight Lucia will be getting an extension.

Joel would be a great boss to have. No expectations at all.

Well you see, they've been working on the extension since shortly after the last NCAA title. It's finally complete!:rolleyes:

Joel also said that they are working on a new hockey practice facility, but someone needs to spearhead the funding for it. They hope to break ground by 2024.

If we can't fire Lucia

Can we please please please please fire Maturi. I know, as that great old tune says, its been said many times many ways, but for the love of Gopher athletics please put us out of our misery.

Extending Lucia? Well, there you have it. The endless idiocy of the esteemed Joel Maturi continues. Guess we'll just have to keep congratulating the guys for "playing hard" and take that as a victory for the future..:mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you want lucia fired, this has to be viewed as a good first step. Firings come shortly after extensions with joel.

I exchanged a couple of emails with JM on the state of our hockey program and to a lessor extent, the failure of results in both hockey and MBB and the expectation that we pay premium prices for seats when our squads are not competitive. I think MBB was just an off year...but another like this year and we can't not make a change...as for hockey...this is year three of complete failure to acheive any of our goals.

Maturi's response was typical, as he knows what is needed in big time college athletics. Except, as I reminded him, the results of our teams on the field over the last 5 years don't reflect a significant amount of knowledge on thier parts...if they truly understood big time college athletics, they would know we need to win or nobody shows up. No response to that email yet.

I exchanged a couple of emails with JM on the state of our hockey program and to a lessor extent, the failure of results in both hockey and MBB and the expectation that we pay premium prices for seats when our squads are not competitive. I think MBB was just an off year...but another like this year and we can't not make a change...as for hockey...this is year three of complete failure to acheive any of our goals.

Maturi's response was typical, as he knows what is needed in big time college athletics. Except, as I reminded him, the results of our teams on the field over the last 5 years don't reflect a significant amount of knowledge on thier parts...if they truly understood big time college athletics, they would know we need to win or nobody shows up. No response to that email yet.

He may well be correct. Although at this point, he's doing a piss poor job of showing it.

Top Bottom