Just heard on ESPN

freshtrout

Reaction score
that the announcers for the Gopher game against Purdue....will be Brent Musburger and Bob Knight....Now that should be interesting...

That means this is a BIG GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC, Bob Knight used to rave about how he thought coaching at Minnesota was a great job and one he might like someday? Anybody else remember him saying something like that many years ago?

Yes, he knew he could have won here too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe it....pinch me

ESPN.com is listing the game in HD ... on ESPN2-HD... it's about time ESPN & ESPN2-HD...it's about time.

It's Thursday Knight Basketball on ESPN.

This is going to be FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! GO GOPHERS!!!!! BURN THE BOILERS!!!!

Wow! That's fun. Huge Knight fan here.
I think Brent Musburger is a really good football pbp man. I haven't heard him do much basketball. Something to look forward to in addition to the hurt that we will hopefully put on Purdue.

Brent M and Bob K....a great play by play team...Both are excellent. And they picked one hell of a game to be at when the Gophers snoose the Boilers!!! Hey Minimax....Huge Knight fan here too...

From what I've heard from Bob Knight (in his first year of announcing) I really like his insight. No BS, no hype, just the facts-jack. It's refreshing. Now I'm not a Bob Knight fan by any means, but his announcing is solid.

IIRC, Bob Knight used to rave about how he thought coaching at Minnesota was a great job and one he might like someday? Anybody else remember him saying something like that many years ago?

I'm sure that you're right about remembering Knight's commenting on the MN coaching job. Mostly I remember that as something that Sid (BK's close personal friend) kept hyping, so I discounted it pretty heavily. Moot point now.

bob knight is easily the best analysis on all of espn networks covering all sports. he provides more insight about the game than any one else could come close to. he has forgetten more about basketball than the entire board put together has ever known. any way if you are wondering i am a huge bob knight fan when it comes to annoucing.

what i will say about his coaching it that he did the things that a head basketball coach is asked to do and that is 1. graduate players, 2. do things the right way(meaning no cheating, IU forgot that pretty quick) and 3. win basketball games. in that order. every thing else he did wasn't necessary.

as for musburger he is by far my favorite play-by-play man in all of sports, although the twins radio guys are pretty good too(too bad they left WCCO that was really dumb) anyway back to musburger. he just has a way of laying things out there and framing a moment that no one else can even come close too. his voice is also really cool too, IMO.

and maybe the best part about this crew is that Erin Andrews does alot of games with Brent and who ever he is paired with. That worth watching the game right there.

Any way I'm really pumped for the game. I hope it will be a good one. I'm not making a prediction because I don't know how Purdue will responed to, IMO, is the hardest place to play in the Big 10, if not the nation. If Purdue plays well they can play with anyone in the nation, if not you get the lost to Penn State. But I hope the Boiler's win this one.

Anybody think that the 50 point beating we put on Knight at the barn will be mentioned at all?

Wow! That's fun. Huge Knight fan here.
I think Brent Musburger is a really good football pbp man. I haven't heard him do much basketball. Something to look forward to in addition to the hurt that we will hopefully put on Purdue.

I love Bob Knight, but Musberger just annoys me, especially as a college football pbp man. He always twists everything into a conversation about the NFL, i.e. "this kid will be a big time player on Sundays" or "you know the fans in Cleveland would love to see this kid in a Browns uniform," etc. I don't want to think about the NFL when watching a college game, Brent - that's what Mel Kiper is for. I do enjoy the Brent Musberger Drinking Game, though - almost makes him tolerable.

RMK is a God!!!!!!

Musburger is made a good comeback from suckitude a few years back. Musburger was good with Lavin, and I cannot wait for this broadcast with Knight.

Knight might be the best color guy at ESPN

He's not like Vitale (who won't say anything bad about either of the teams). He can find positives in any situation - which isn't a bad thing - but he refuses to find (or maybe he just chooses not to articulate) negatives when they are blatantly obvious.

Knight always, always, always tells it like it is with no sugarcoating. You know when he compliments a player, coach, or program, he really means it and is not just saying it to placate the fans in the audience.

Ditto to other posts that Knight is an excellent analysis man. But can't agree on Musburger. He's just plain awful ...IMO. I always "mute" when he's on. However, I'll tolerate him to hear Knight. I wonder if Knight "chose" this game to do. I would assume he has his pick of where he wants to go.

Musburger has this "buzzed uncle" appeal to me. While he does tend to tangent, he's got a mellow delivery and a wealth of memories/experiences from around the game. It's like sitting around and watching hoops with your uncle after he's had three or four beers.

One other thing to love about Mus - he's a Big 10 guy. There's not a ton of those over at ESPN anymore, as it's become fashionable to hate on the Big 10.

Agree with those praising Knight as an analyst. The film breakdown segments they do with him on SportsCenter are usually the best part of the program.

Sid, RMK, and Bud Grant (maybe even George Steinbrenner and Lou Holtz) will, most likely, be at Vescio's tonight.

It's funny that some people like Musburger better as a football announcer. I am the exact opposite. Don't really like him in football, but love him for basketball.

Musburger has this "buzzed uncle" appeal to me.

If your "buzzed uncle" is a degenerate gambler, then I suppose I could see it. Other than the drinking game, that's the only other appealing thing about Musberger to me - when his gambling addiction shines through. He knows an awful lot of "folks in Nevada."

Excited

I am thrilled to hear that night will be broadcasting the Gophers game. He is a great guy and definitely knows a lot about the game. You can argue about his temper but you cannot argue the fact that he knows the game of basketball and graduates his student athletes while doing so. After pheasant hunting with Knight and riding into the mountains on horseback and fishing with him for a week, a person really understands how genuine of a guy Knight is. He is one of the greatest guys you will ever meet. He really takes care of the people who do something for him.

GO GOPHERS!

"If your "buzzed uncle" is a degenerate gambler, then I suppose I could see it."

Oh, he most certainly is. He won much of his fortune playing dice with Vince Grier at 700 8th St. SE in Minneapolis.

Musberger's ideal job would be emceeing beauty pageants. Seldom has anyone gone so far with so little to offer.

Minnesota High School Alum

Brent went to Shattuck in Faribault, and has a fondness for Minnesota. In the days of the over the top announcers, Brent's grown-up and understated style are a welcome change. He and Lavin make a great team that do thier jobs but don't take themselves too seriously.

As some one else mentioned Dicky V I will give my 2 cents on him. He is great for the game and has more stories than anyone else. But he is a god aweful analyst. He can't break down play and show you how it worked for the life of him. Overall he is an asset to the game of college basketball.

Also as far as Lavin goes he is good if you ask me. So is Bilas. After that it kinda gets week. Not a big Fran guy.

ESPN talent

Lav & Mus (and Erin, of course) are my favorite combo. Lav has a healthy respect for the history of the (college) game, he's knowledgeable, witty & doesn't take himself too seriously. He cracks me up, and Musberger plays off him well.

Bilas & Raftery with McDonough are top shelf as well. Brad Nessler, also, is a pro as a play-by-play man.

FSN also has some real pros that do the ACC games. ... Tim Brando & Mike Gminski come to mind. Gminski is kind of unsung. He's one of the best analysts around. Understated & he's not a suck-up to the teams/conference he's covering.

At the other end of the spectrum, Vitale, Dykes & Mike Patrick make me vomit. If they're doing a must-see game, it's "volume down" for me.

If this thread is now about favorites, IMHO it doesn't get any better than Bill Raftery. If you listen to Bilas' evolution over the past few years as an announcer, you can hear the influences of Raftery's unmistakable style.

Gus Johnson tends to get pretty hyped over the game, but I think he belongs in the upper tier of pbp guys as well.

Top Bottom