Looking Forward

husker70

Reaction score
We have a bowl game, but more importantly 15 more practice days. We have the game itself. And there is 24/7 recruiting leading up to the signing day. The arrival of Marquis Grey. What I would give to see the informal drills. I imagine a throw from Grey to Hageman at about 18 yards would be thrown at about 11 feet on a line. What a catch Hageman is. Maybe a coaching change or three. Spring ball with Sam Maresh and Spencer Reeves. Carufel in the offensive line. There is a lot to look forward to.

Also, the possibility of a bowl game vs. an undefeated team.

Additionally, we will be healthy for the game.

I constantly remind myself that Ferentz was 4-19 and 3/13 BT his first two terms and Alvarez was 6/16 and 2/14 BT. In their fourth year Alvarez won a BT title and went to the Rose Bowl and Ferentz had a BT title. Brewster needs at least 5 years to be reasonable.

09 will be a building year as we should put better talent and more experience on the field. But I still believe the OL will once again be the weak link next year. Carufel should help and another year of growth and maturity should make Wynn, Davis and Orton better OL. I can't remember a weaker OL in my years of watching Gopher football so they have a loooooooong wayyyyyyyy to go. And I am concerned that the OL didn't improve during the year but actually went backwards.

I hope the guys can rest up, recharge their batteries, hit the weights, get back to basics, put the Iowa debacle behind them, get some swagger back on D like earlier this season and we will see a better product on the field in the bowl game.

I'm looking forward to see what coach Hill can do to bulk up the offensive line in the eight months he'll have with them in the weight room.

I'm looking forward to a deeper and healthier stable of running backs.

I'm looking forward to see Weber improving his overall game while knowing there's a quarterback on the sidelines that can throw a better ball (so I've heard) and is a faster runner.

I'm looking forward to a young group of wide recievers that will be more experienced and will have even more young and fast playmakers pushing for playing time.

I'm looking forward to an even deeper and talented secondary.

I'm looking forward to a faster linebacking group.

In short, I'm looking forward to reading less and less negative postings on Gopher Hole.

I'm looking forward to more post by Digger01. Couldn't agree with you more!

im looking forward to outdoor college on-campus atmosphere at TCF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be head-and-shoulders above the dome IMO. Young team can only improve in my eyes.

im looking forward to outdoor college on-campus atmosphere at TCF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be head-and-shoulders above the dome IMO. Young team can only improve in my eyes.

OMG, how could I forget about TCF!?!?!

How long do you think it will take before it is time to upgrade the capacity at TCF? It has to be tied with Dyche Stadium as the smallest in the Big 10 capacity-wise.

Big Ten Stadium Seating Capacity

How long do you think it will take before it is time to upgrade the capacity at TCF? It has to be tied with Dyche Stadium as the smallest in the Big 10 capacity-wise.

Dyche Stadium?

TCF Bank Stadium will open with a capacity of 50,000. The seating capacity will rank the #10 amongst Big Ten Stadiums.

1. Michigan Stadium (Michigan) - 107, 501
2. Beaver Stadium (Penn State) - 107,282
3. Ohio Stadium (Ohio State) - 102,329
4. Camp Randall (Wisconsin) - 80,321
5. Kinnick Stadium (Iowa) - 70,585
6. Spartan Stadium (Mich State) - 75,005
7. Memorial Stadium (Illinois) - 62,872
8. Ross-Ade Stadium (Purdue) - 62,500
9. Memorial Stadium (Indiana) - 52,180
10. TCF Bank Stadium (Minnesota) - 50,000
11. Ryan Field (Northwestern) - 49,256

The stadium will seat a similar number to Autzen Stadium (Oregon) which is frequently listed as one of the loudest stadiums and best home field advantages in college football. Autzen currently seats 54,000 after adding 12,000 seats in a 2002 renovation.

I think we should worry about filling the stadium, building a waiting list, and gaining a home field advantage at home before we worry about adding to the capacity. The Gophers frequently did not fill the 64,000 seat Metrodome. I would rather have 50,000 people in a stadium with 50,000 capacity than an 80,000 seat stadium that only has 60,000 people in attendance. A full stadium looks better to fans and athletes and recruits and it builds upon itself if it is hard to get a ticket.

50,000 in a 50,000 cap stadium is way better that 60,000 in an 80,000. Plus it's that much tougher for Iowa and Wisconsin to invade.

I think a couple of things became very clear on Saturday,

1. The team certainly needs further infusions of talent. There just isn't enough on either side of the ball from an overall stand point. But those extra practice sessions for the bowl should also help.

2. The team has lost their edge mentally. A lot of it has to do with an offense that was completely stagnant for the most part late in the season. In such regard, its good that there won't be another game for a month. Time to, as Bayfield suggested, recharge the batteries.

3. To answer Sal's question: Hard to say. A lot will depend on the next few years or so. If we can string together a couple of good recruiting classes and then translate onto the field, then it may come sooner than expected. Otherwise, as always, we're in a wait and see mode.

I guess if I had to say where we're at from my perspective as a fan, it would "hurry up and wait." The team will get better and certainly there will be more talent around for next year. Just where that leaves us in the end remains to be seen.

Top Bottom