Question that's been bugging me for a long time

Reaction score
Good people of Gopher Hole,

Why do basketball coaches dress well, while football coaches dress like slobs?

Occasionally you'll see a well dressed football coach, but it's rare. I think I remember Glen Mason wearing a tie during the '99 PSU game. I think Joe Pa wears them as well, underneath the blue jacket.

Can't remember any basketball coaches coming out in a team-colored hoodie and cap, spitting on the sidelines.

:confused:

Just a guess, football is played outside, in all sorts of weather. Basketball is in climate controlled conditions. Thus football coaches dress for comfort. The camera is pointing in the direction of the basketball coaches more often than the football coaches as well.

I know in the NFL, it has to do with licensing agreements.

Mike Tice, when he was the coach of the Vikings, wanted to wear a jacket and tie like Tom Landry used to, and the NFL said no - all coaches and personnel had to only wear NFL-licensed apparel. As such, Tice wore the purple sweater vest, which is about as formal as he could get. It may be similar in college football, depending on the licensing agreements different schools and coaches have with apparel manufacturers.

I think it's pretty trashy when Bill Belicheck comes out looking like an extra from Flashdance.

A few good points have been made already but I think one of the main factors is the culture of coaching the sport at that level. ALL high D1 basketball staffs wear either a suit or a sport coats. Football coaches wear team gear its a culture thing.

I wouldn't call the way football coaches dress trashy. Most coaches wear a polo(most likely Dri-Fit), khakis, and cross trainers. It's not like they are out there old t shirts, cut off jeans, socks, and flip flops.

Jack Del Rio wore suits for a while as head coach of the Jaguars, I really liked it.
JACK-DEL-RIO.jpg

Coaches shouldn't wear suits. Sweats and a whistle. It's sports, not a bored-room (pun intended)

Then again, no one should wear suits.

I've never really understood why baseball coaches wear uniforms. Can you imagine Tubby in uniform on the court!

Well, given the choice between Tubby and Rick Majerus, I know which one I'd rather see in a uniform.:eek:

Top Bottom