San Diego State fires Chuck Long; would be a good spot for Mase

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The Jeff Schemmel ties could prove interesting, and SDSU has hired some big name coaches in Steve Fisher and Tony Gwynn. If Mason is interested in getting back into coaching, this could be a nice spot to coach and obviously a great way to drift off into the coaching sunset (literally and figuratively).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3721312

Go Gophers!!

He would do well

If Mason were to go to SDSU, he'd do well. Of his old staff, I wonder who he would keep? My guess would be Allen, Browning, Shaw, and Adamle. What a coup if he could add a coach like Marshall Faulk.
But, Mason better run away from all of his previous ties and pull a rabbit out of his hat when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. In 10 years, I think he had one defense that most would consider above average in the Big 10. That said, Southern California has a lot of talent. Mason had a keen eye for talent.
This seems like a good fit. I hope he gets the job.

If it's a job that doesn't require effort to recruit, Mason could do well in it. I mean, assuming he could hire a DC and give that guy control to implement his own system, instead of promoting a LB coach to DC and forcing a system into place.

I still may Mase would do just fine at Syracuse. He's got a ton of ties to Jersey that can branch out to other states in the area, plus he has a penchant for making crappy big conference schools into competitive teams and the Big East is soft. Would he want to coach in another dome though?

I still may Mase would do just fine at Syracuse. He's got a ton of ties to Jersey that can branch out to other states in the area, plus he has a penchant for making crappy big conference schools into competitive teams and the Big East is soft. Would he want to coach in another dome though?

IMO, you are absolutely right about Syracuse being a good fit for Mason. He's said he won't take anymore "rebuilding jobs" but after how he handled his last year: "drunken fans", "trinket games", not shoeing up for his own radio show etc., he's probably not going to get a "good" job offer.

Syracuse has been a force in college football in the not to distance past. Mason has contacts not only in New Jersey but in Ohio as well. He also won't have to help sell tickets which despite pledges to the contary, he just won't do. It's seems like a good fit.

As for playing in a Dome? Well, at least in Syracuse there aren't any Vikings to share it with!;)

Bleed

Everything posted in this thread makes sense. There are still two questions: Do you think Glen was lying or speaking off the top of his head when he said he didn't want to take another "rebuilding job"?

Do you think his ego could take "stepping down" to San Diego State after coaching in the Big 12 and Big Ten?

Good questions. I don't think he was "lying" per se, but I do think he'd be willing to take a rebuilding job because there aren't many non-rebuilding jobs available. I can't imagine he'll be in the running for the PSU job when it opens up or the like. Obviously the amount of rebuilding is all relative. I think you can "rebuild" SDSU into a bowl-contending team in the MWC pretty quickly.

As far as whether his ego would allow him to step down to a MWC school...that's a great question. I do think one visit out to San Diego may do the trick, although the points about Syracuse/NJ/Ohio ties do make more sense than going out west, but the sun, sand and palm trees have a unique way of playing into the equation.

As a San Diego State graduate school alum, I will be watching this coaching decision very closely and I do hope they go after a relatively big name - i.e., Mason (would qualify as a big name for the Aztecs), Green, etc.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom