Gopher Fans at Today's Game

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it looked like on TV, but there were a ton of Gopher fans were at the game in Evanston. The people that made the trip were pretty hilarious in their relentless mocking of the Northwestern fans/student section. Chants of "Gopher Home Game," "We Can't Hear You" and "This is Our House" could be heard from the 1,000 or so Gopher fans. I especially loved the "Tie Dyed T-Shirts" chant at the 100 or so students wearing a tie dye shirt.

Unfortunately the team didn't show up in the second half, and the gopher fans were taunted with the same cheers they used early in the game (which was annoying, but expected). I've seen Northwestern games before and the arena doesn't get that riled up, but with all the visiting fans in attendance I'd say it was a quality college hoops atmosphere today.

I don't think today's game is a big cause for concern. For whatever reason nobody really played well, and since college basketball isn't like college football one bad loss won't destroy the team's season. I expect them to bounce back and get back on track with a win over Purdue.

The fans were well represented on tv in that their cheers were load and chants audible even on tv throughout the first half. Pretty cool to see.

My only regret is that we couldn't spark the team a bit more. Tough to get (boozed) into a 1 o'clock game. Oh well, at least the road trip consisted of as many students as their entire section! :D

My only regret is that we couldn't spark the team a bit more. Tough to get (boozed) into a 1 o'clock game. Oh well, at least the road trip consisted of as many students as their entire section! :D

The Gopher fans were mostly higher up in the 2nd balcony seats. Had they been closer to the court, I think it might have had a bigger impact on the team.

Great Job, Barnyard!!!

Fantastic job of getting such a big group together, and cheering on our boys. There was no doubt that the Barnyard was louder, and bigger, than their entire student section.

You could even tell the our players made notice before the game, and gave them some props. We were sitting a section closer than them, and they were so loud, the Nerds in Purple couldn't compare. It's too bad it didn't bring us the win, but it wasn't for lack of effort from the fans. Way to support the team!!!

"Tough to get (boozed) into a 1 o'clock game."
Come on, suck it up, that's nothing compared to a 11:00 a.m. football game. Cracking that first beer at 7:00 a.m. is a great way to start the day!

Just curious... Did Spence come up and rip that "Spence dunked on Doyle" sign?

I couldn't imagine that he did...

I could only hear Northwestern fans cheering during the telecast, but I did see some scattered gold shirts in the stands.

NW students had a good rebuttal at end of the game

The miniscule Northwestern student section did have a pretty good answer at the end. Faced the Gopher student section and chanted:

"Drive home safely, drive home safely, drive home safely. ..."

Made me chuckle, despite a frustrating day at Welsh-Ryan. Gopher fans were great, but Northwestern's players did a great job of shutting us up by taking control of the game late in the first half. Where the Gophers lost this game was not building on the 9-point lead in the first half. They really had a chance to deliver a knockout punch but NW was able to get back into it at the end of the half.

Top Bottom