Point guard problems

skoalvikings

Reaction score
Nolen looked completely lost today. He was great against a bunch of the cupcakes and Louisville, but his Big Ten play has been shaky. How tough can the NW defense be? It also looks like Nolen doesn't know how to properly feed the post--we should have been going inside more.

Get ready to face more 1-3-1 zones.

He's playing to fast, out of control. He also is whinning a lot with coaches, teamates, and refs. Still a very young soph.

It's nice to analyze his play and all, but what we have to remember is that he is still a soph. Also, the 1-3-1 defense is a tough defense to "go inside" on. Most points that are scored "inside" against this zone are usually scored through penetration. I would say our biggest problem was not enough penetration and too much holding the ball to allow the trap.

I'm not really all that worried about Al. I'm not really all that worried about this team...

I just think we had one of those days...you know, the same kind of day we all have at various times of our lives...But that's okay...it happens

From here, we just need to pick it up and play better the rest of the season.

I agree I'm not that worried about the team, but I am worried about Nolen. It's one thing to make mistakes but its another thing to make the same mistake repeatedly. I think we saw that today.

With that said he wasn't the only one today so let's chalk it up to the fact that he young and look forward to Purdue!

this team absolutely needs an inside pressance to make the next step.

Nolen is a good point guard. The Rondo comparison and possible NBA caliber hype probably wasn't fair considering how much he's developed since he got here. He'll be a 4 year guy and PG will be in good hands. He probably won't play in the NBA. Joseph seems a bit slow when trying to beat his man, but he could eventually earn some of the minutes going to Nolen. Joseph reminds me of Townsend Orr.

Nolen looked completely lost today. He was great against a bunch of the cupcakes and Louisville, but his Big Ten play has been shaky.
I agree. I believe that the offense has been clearly superior in two or three Big Ten games with Devoe in the game (and at the end at Wisky, with Blake at point). He's been playing like a shoot-first point guard, but without the shot. When's the last time he dumped the ball off on a drive to the basket?

That doesn't lay all the fault for the loss on Al though. Blake still can't buy a bucket. Devron took a huge step back after two good games. And like Al, Colt Iverson has not played with the confidence he did in non-conference play.

Top Bottom