The highs are never as high as we think nor are the lows as low as we think

BleedGopher

Reaction score
What a rollar coaster of emotions in a matter of days...

And what a horrible second half. For some reason we didn't appear ready (or at least able) to handle their zone. I can't think of anyone that played well today and if nothing else I hope that this serves as a big time wake up call for the team.

It will be interesting to see how we come out on Thursday night. I imagine practice will be quite spirited the next few days.

Congrats to NU - they were clearly the better team today and got a much deserved big win.

Go Gophers!!

Well said Bleed... The biggest thing is that they need to learn from this. Come out and beat Purdue and then don't let this happen again next Sunday at Indiana.

Bleed I love that quote. I had a coach who told me something very similar to that. He told me after I had a poor game, "You never play as well as you thought you did, but you never play as bad as you thought you did."

And it was usually true when we went back and watched film the next day.

I think the guys will refocus and move on in a positive manner. This is still a very good Gopher team...we just played a horrible game.

all and all 16-2 and 4-2 isn't a bad place to be at this point. I think at the beginning of the week, we would have taken that record after two road games.

We just need to take care of things at home against Purdue and then come out solid and play well against Indiana and we'll be fine...

If I had my choice...

Excellent point, just what I was thinking.

If I had my choice of splitting these two road games, I would much rather have knocked off Wisconsin at Kohl than beat the Wildcats. A sweep was extremely unlikely, and I think going in most of us would have been satisfied with a split.

Tip your hat to the Wildcats and move on. It's not the last BT road game we'll lose this year.

Learning experience

There are certainly LOTS of things for Tubby to work on and make guys better. Remember, this is still a young team and inconsistency is one of the realities of youth and inexperience. Nobody expected them to go undefeated the rest of the way.

DJ had a good game, as usual

So I think anyone not having a good day is off a bit.

This was Monson like - coaches not able to make effective adjustments.

What a rollar coaster of emotions in a matter of days...

And what a horrible second half. For some reason we didn't appear ready (or at least able) to handle their zone. I can't think of anyone that played well today and if nothing else I hope that this serves as a big time wake up call for the team.

It will be interesting to see how we come out on Thursday night. I imagine practice will be quite spirited the next few days.

Congrats to NU - they were clearly the better team today and got a much deserved big win.

Go Gophers!!

amen brother, even good teams drop an embarrassing game now and then. how they react to the loss will be more important then the loss itself.

amen brother, even good teams drop an embarrassing game now and then. how they react to the loss will be more important then the loss itself.

Agreed, though I think people are not giving Northwestern enough credit, either. They've already won more games this year than they did all of last season, and they had Purdue down by 14 earlier in the week before they came back, much like we did on Thursday.

I think when things are all said and done, Northwestern will have their share of wins, and in a year or two, they could be the surprise team of the league.

And remember, they were favored in Vegas to win this game. Nothing that was not supposed to happen happened today, despite our worst thoughts.

The highs are never as high as we think nor are the lows as low as we think ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Best highs-- Frankie Valli
Best lows-- Barry White

It's one game, they will learn and bounce back. That new coach will show them how.

I'm crying now just like I used to cry before.

I think when things are all said and done, Northwestern will have their share of wins, and in a year or two, they could be the surprise team of the league.

So I'm really curious, what would make you think that Northwestern is going to be a near-future Big Ten contender?

So I'm really curious, what would make you think that Northwestern is going to be a near-future Big Ten contender?

NWU recruiting has really picked up lately. They have several quality (B10 caliber) freshmen.

I agree, Ogee

If I had my choice of splitting these two road games, I would much rather have knocked off Wisconsin at Kohl than beat the Wildcats. A sweep was extremely unlikely, and I think going in most of us would have been satisfied with a split.

It was soooo satisfying to beat Wisky. I had to work today so i missed the game and can't comment. And while I wish we'd won, beating Wisky on the road is great and sign of an upgrade and change. Given the recent past, Northwestern was going to beat someone better than them and while I'm sorry it was us, so be it. It was likely circumstance for a let down, so lets come back and beat Purdue!

It was soooo satisfying to beat Wisky. I had to work today so i missed the game and can't comment. And while I wish we'd won, beating Wisky on the road is great and sign of an upgrade and change. Given the recent past, Northwestern was going to beat someone better than them and while I'm sorry it was us, so be it. It was likely circumstance for a let down, so lets come back and beat Purdue!

Very true. NW is far from a crap squad this year. They beat Florida State by 15 and Depaul by 30. And most of their losses were close ones to good teams. I would have felt worse about losing to Iowa than NW.

We should have been up 10-15 at halftime, but were not due to a couple of shot clock beating forced jumpers by Northwestern and (more importantly) a bunch of unforced turnovers by the Gophers.

I've been worried about the high number of unforced turnovers the Gophers have committed all year and today they were a huge factor in a loss. The 2nd half was just brutal on all levels and Northwestern deserves credit for playing a good game after a crushing home defeat on Thursday.

The truly shocking thing about this game was that the Gophers played a terrible 2nd half. I thought the only way we could lose this game was if we came out flat and got down a quick ten points. Instead, we had the lead the entire first half and just played beyond horrible in the 2nd half. Very disappointing loss and really kills the momentum the team had built up. This home game against Purdue seems to have extra importance now.

Top Bottom