Former Gopher, Engen Nurumbi, having solid season for D2 Grand Canyon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Monter's update:

Engen Nurumbi left the Minnesota in January of 2007 and sat out last season. He is leading Grand Canyon in scoring (15.2), rebounds (7.0), blocked shots (1.4) and steals (1.6). Nurumbi is shooting 46.1% from the field, 46.2% from three-point range and 54.3% from the line. The Antelopes are off to a 6-7 start.

Go Gophers!!

not bad for a guy who "didn't even know where to stand" two years ago

Good to see Engen doing well. His was/is a good story of overcoming adversity. I may have been one of the few on this board who actually liked what they saw in Engen a few times. I remember intrasquad games being impressed with his ability to to run the court. Thanks for the update Bleed. Go Engen.

He was never going to be a B10 or even a mid major level player but it seems like they gave up on him the minute he walked on campus. I don't think that he got five minutes of PT during the half season he was here.

Tubby is succeeding with Monson's players but they are mostly guys who were dying to come to the U or were not wanted elsewhere. The Nurumbi story is a reminder of Monson's ineptitude, at least in this job.

IIRC Nurumbi left at the semester with Molinari at the helm not Monson. Not that this addresses Engen's ability or inability to play B10 ball but Molinari may have been taking it upon himself to clear some scholarship space for the next year - even though we wound up with only 12 players on scholarship the next year. Maybe, and I emphasize MAYBE, Tubby could have done something with Engen. Who here, saw the contributions that Busch would make under Tubby? Old stories I know - but good to see Engen doing well at his level.

IIRC Nurumbi left at the semester with Molinari at the helm not Monson. Not that this addresses Engen's ability or inability to play B10 ball but Molinari may have been taking it upon himself to clear some scholarship space for the next year - even though we wound up with only 12 players on scholarship the next year. Maybe, and I emphasize MAYBE, Tubby could have done something with Engen. Who here, saw the contributions that Busch would make under Tubby? Old stories I know - but good to see Engen doing well at his level.

Engen is a good story, smart guy who speaks eight languages. He was not at all comfortable at Minnesota, so he left. As to whether Tubby could have gotten something out of him...not even Tubby could have helped. Playing well on a bad Division II team is miles away from playing significant minutes for an upper division Big Ten squad.

Engen only played in nine games prior to leaving the program. He scored 6 points in those nine games. His final memory has to be posting up a guy at Iowa and on a shot from the post, he hit the top of the shot clock! Never seen that happen before, never seen it after.

And, as to Busch, I always thought there could be a spot for him. He has some great basketball instincts, above average basketball skills, and a huge heart. Nurumbi had no instincts, low skills, and his heart was not in it at all.

Top Bottom