From Pioneer Press Blog

nemosgold

Reaction score
-- Don't be surprised if there are some changes in Brewster's coaching staff on offense during the offseason.

My guess is Dunbar may be gone. He was like our third choice to begin with. It sounds like Brewster would like to go under center more. The same thing happened at Cal two years ago.

Mitch Browning will be out of work in a few weeks.

My best guess may be Tony Franklin who was fired at Auburn.

Based on performance of the individual units, I'd put my money on Phil Meyer. He doesn't seem to be a great asset as a recruiter either.

Maybe, but more likely a change on the OL coaching assignments. Dunbar is proven, they'll first look to strengthen his staff before they go in a different direction. IMHO

I agree with Meyer but, Dunbar was let go at Cal because he was unwilling to run plays from under center and be a little more diverse.

Under Center

I think it's been noted elsewhere but Coach specifically noted on Sid/Dave this AM that we need to be operating more under center in the future.

This aspect of the game will be interesting to watch next year...is there a change or not?

Go Gophers!

-- Don't be surprised if there are some changes in Brewster's coaching staff on offense during the offseason.

My guess is Dunbar may be gone. He was like our third choice to begin with. It sounds like Brewster would like to go under center more. The same thing happened at Cal two years ago.

Mitch Browning will be out of work in a few weeks.

My best guess may be Tony Franklin who was fired at Auburn.

I would like Dunbar to stay, but if we can get Franklin, I will gladly swap.

I think Dunbar is over rated as an OC. He had one good year at NU in 2005 when NU led the BT in total offense. He had a Sr. QB (Basanaz) who had a great year and a young Sutton at RB. NU finished mid pack in the Big Ten in total offense in 03 & 04 and only averaged 19 ppg in 03. In 06 he had studs like Lynch and Longshore at QB.

We are stuck with the spread so I need to unwillingly accept that. But I would like to see a change and move Dunbar out.

Maybe, but more likely a change on the OL coaching assignments. Dunbar is proven, they'll first look to strengthen his staff before they go in a different direction. IMHO

I think you and the poster above you hit the nail on the head...I'd bet money that Meyer is out. In my mind, there's no WAY Brewster would let Dunbar go at this point--UNLESS he was bringing in another guy who primarily runs the spread, but would be willing to go under center a little more often. Brewster is going to be a spread guy all the way. He loves the glamor of it, the athleticism you need to run it well, and the way recruits react to his sell of the "wide-open" spread offense.

IMHO, he'll give Dunbar another two years to work this out. I truly believe Dunbar will do it, too. His resume and track record are just too long for him to flame out at Minnesota after two or even three years. He's going to get more and more athletes every year, and I believe his offenses will get better and better. Think about these facts:

1) Weber will be another year older and more mature.
2) Gray will come in, and I almost guarantee a platoon by these two by mid-season. Dunbar will have his dynamic threat to run off the option AND a more mobile QB to escape the almost constant pressure we see.
3) Decker will be freed up more by a developing Green and a (supposedly) dynamic Carpenter.
4) Bennett returns (a WAY bigger piece of this equation than I think people are remembering), alongside some other backs who may turn out to be good: Lipscomb, Whaley, a more mature Eskridge, and hopefully, a healthier Jay Thomas.
5) The biggest thing: a bigger, stronger, more experienced O-Line...with a new coach, more than likely. Hopefully one who has a TON of experience--especially in the spread.

It has to be Meyer. There is no excuse. Brewster said time and again he wanted to be more physical and we continued the zone dance. When 3rd down came the idea of blowing the hole open was a pipe dream. We could not win the battle at the line of scrimage. And it got worse as the season wore on. The month of November the offensive line was still in flux, and you cannot tell me it was injuries. It was Meyer still struggling to find a combination.

Furthermore, if they were to let Dunbar go and bring in say Franklin I would imagine Franklin would want his own offensive line coach.

Who is this Franklin guy and what makes him such a perfect fit? Was he the one who got fired earlier this year at Auburn???

Doubt there will be a change at OC

I think it's been noted elsewhere but Coach specifically noted on Sid/Dave this AM that we need to be operating more under center in the future.

This aspect of the game will be interesting to watch next year...is there a change or not?

Go Gophers!

But if there isn't a change in offensive philosophy, I don't see a winning season next year with the much tougher schedule...

Weber went under center in the Wisconsin game I believe. He handed it to Shady, if I can remember right ,and scored a td on the play.

Top Bottom