Bo Ryan = Above Average

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the Big 10 Titles still count, but nobody has benefited more from Big 10 mediocrity than Wisconsin and Bo Ryan. Bo Ryan has accumulated a gaudy record against coaches like Monson, Alford, Ammaker, and Davis. Purdue had been down because of the switch from Keady to Painter. As Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan get their act together with superior coaches (especially Tubby), Wisconsin will fade into above average status in the Big 10. If Iowa and Indiana get back on track, Sconnie could be trouble.
All one has to do is look at Ryans track record in the tournament to prove my theory. As soon as they meet a well coached and athletic team, they are eliminated.

Don't get me wrong, the Big 10 Titles still count, but nobody has benefited more from Big 10 mediocrity than Wisconsin and Bo Ryan. Bo Ryan has accumulated a gaudy record against coaches like Monson, Alford, Ammaker, and Davis. Purdue had been down because of the switch from Keady to Painter. As Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan get their act together with superior coaches (especially Tubby), Wisconsin will fade into above average status in the Big 10. If Iowa and Indiana get back on track, Sconnie could be trouble.
All one has to do is look at Ryans track record in the tournament to prove my theory. As soon as they meet a well coached and athletic team, they are eliminated.

Wow, one victory in Madison over Bo Ryan's "worst" team in his tenure and all of a sudden he's a horrible coach. I think a fan of a program that hasn't won an official NCAA Tournament game in over a decade should just take what they can get and move on. Enjoy the moment and hope there's not a letdown in Evanston...

Bo Ryan is a fantastic coach. Nobody in America is better at running their system and plugging in different guys every year and achieving virtually the same results.

Bo Ryan is a fantastic coach. Nobody in America is better at running their system and plugging in different guys every year and achieving virtually the same results.

Including his 10-7 lifetime NCAA record. Decent, not great.

The original poster has a point. Good teams (Wisc, MSU, OSU, ILL) have benefited from terrible coaches in the BigTen in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Bo is a good coach but has there ever been a time when so many programs have had piss-poor coaches in the BT?? I think his point is this: with better coaches in the BT, it will be more competitive in the BT and these teams will be much more equal in the upcoming years.

I think Bo Ryan has done a fantastic job. I also think that, looking forward, Sconnie could be due for a downturn. They'll be losing 2 key frontcourt players next year in Krabby and Landry. They are clearly not a very deep team. With so many Big Ten programs on the upswing, if they don't find some suitable replacements, they could find themselves on the bottom half of the standings.

He is a Whining Biyatch but I think Bo is a good coach and it has definitely showed in the last few years.

Could not agree more. He does more, with less, year after year after year.

I'm excited about winning there too, but that's because of the fact that he has built such a strong program. I have to admit, I don't worry about recruiting, simply because the fast, athletic guys, will want to play in Tubby's system. However, I have no doubt that WI will be a strong competitor year in and year out.

No matter how much you hate the Badgers and Bo, you have to have respect for him, and what's he's accomplished. He deserves it.

What everybody is saying is accurate. Bo is an above average to great coach. He is great if you look at his record in the Big Ten. He is about average to above average in the NCAA tournament (10-7 is above .500 so above average but given where they have been seeded it is fairly average). Greatness is earned in March so without a Final Four appearance I can't call a coach great.

Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU, OSU and Indiana until this year were great beneficiaries of the bottom half of the Big Ten being down. But nobody has benefitted more that Wisconsin because it not only allowed them to chalk up wins--just like the other four programs--but it also allowed them to get their foot in the door for recruiting Minnesota. Illinois has really cut them off from recruiting the best in Illinois and now Minnesota is doing the same thing here which will likely impact the Wisconsin program in the future. I'm not saying they are going to go back to be a cellar dwellar as they had been from 1950-1997 when they went to the NCAA 0 times, but I think the expectation that Wisconsin is a top 3 team in the Big Ten year in and year out will change.

Looking at next year, I would think the top 5 in the conference will be Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, OSU, and Purdue (in alphabetical order) with Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin probably be in the next group that will finish 6-8.

I tend to agree with the original poster. Ryan has done a good job of building a stable program, but people have to keep in mind that outside of MSU each of the other programs in the conference have been "down" for at least a year or two during Ryan's tenure at UW. Now that we're seeing an upswing in the level of coaching in the conference, Ryan's teams are definitely going to struggle more.

This year's UW team was "supposed" to be a top-25 team. That's where they were in the polls in the preseason. Where is the criticism of Ryan for not getting his team to meet expectations this season? I don't see enough of it - maybe we'll have to wait until the Big Ten race is largely decided, but UW is certain to lose at least a few more conference games.

I don't think any of the conference championships that Ryan's teams have managed have been especially impressive because they were either shared by multiple other teams or came in a real down year for the Big Ten as a whole. His teams have never managed to even get a share the conference title in years in which there was another truly elite team in the Big Ten (e.g., Illinois in 04-05 & OSU in 06-07).

The original poster has a point. Good teams (Wisc, MSU, OSU, ILL) have benefited from terrible coaches in the BigTen in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Bo is a good coach but has there ever been a time when so many programs have had piss-poor coaches in the BT?? I think his point is this: with better coaches in the BT, it will be more competitive in the BT and these teams will be much more equal in the upcoming years.

Take a look at Wisconsin's title years and low NCAA seeds.

2002, Big Ten co-champs, #8 NCAA seed.
2003, Big Ten champs, #5 NCAA seed.
2008, Big Ten champs, #3 NCAA seed.

Those are some awfully low seeds for conference champs, which says a lot about how strong the Big Ten was those years.

More with less? I thought Bo got MN talent?

On one hand posters give Ryan credit for "doing more with less" and in the same breath laud the recruits he gets from MN.

He has had some real talent on his past teams, so "more with less" is not accurate, imo.

does more with less talent

I don't mean any to start a race war with this comment, I'm only pointing out stereotypes. But when people say Wisconsin doesn't have talent, what they may tend to be saying is they play alot of white guys. The stereotype is that white players are less talented and play smart/hard basketball and black players are athletically gifted. Wisconsin has had many talented players, I believe Brian Butch was a McDonalds All American. Saying that Bo Ryan hasn't had a great deal of talent is not accurate.
But my original point was that he is an above average coach, not great.

I agree with the TruthTeller. Wisconsin's past teams have been loaded with highly ranked recruits. This year's team includes highly ranked kids as well: Jason Bohannon (top 50 player), Joe Krabbenhoft (top 50 player), Marcus Landry (Top 100 player and Wisconsin's Mr. Basketball ahead of Marquette's leading scorer Wes Mathews), Keaton Nankavil (Top 100 player who would have been rated even higher had he played in more AAU games) and Travon Hughes (Top 100 player). We all know that high school rankings are not a perfect judge of talent but these rankings do indicate that Bo Ryan has not magically crafted a decent college basketball team out of a bunch of nobodys as Badger fans all seem to want to believe.

Don't forget he also has four D-3 national titles on his resume. I know its a long ways from the Big Ten, but if you can coach you can coach. Ryan was well respected on a national level log before he took over in Madison. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom