Jon Leuer

jamiche

Reaction score
I've seen him in all or parts of five games and I think that he has NBA potential. Too bad we didn't get him.

I don't agree with you on either take, the only Minnesotan I want that we don't have is Cole Aldrich. That's it!

Gophers Are Scouting Soph Guard From Orono

Name is Schmidt maybe. I forget. He's 6-1 soph guard.

I also love Leuer's game, and curse the fact that another potential great one got away. It's going to be tough watching him play for Bucky another 2+ years.

I think Brusewitz could be in that same mold. I know we simply can't take everyone, but I think he could be a real Gopher killer the next 4 years -- he is built for the Big Ten.

I personally don't think that Bruesewitz is in the same league as Aldrich or Leuer. I've never been real impressed with his game. He could turn out to be a decent player for them down the road, but I doubt he'll be anything special.

He is certainly a distant 3rd to Royce and Rodney.

Again, JMO.

I also love Leuer's game, and curse the fact that another potential great one got away. It's going to be tough watching him play for Bucky another 2+ years.

He won't be there 2+ years.

I agree Jamiche, I was impressed with what I saw from Leuer last night. I am very surprised that at least one member of the previous staff did not want him and didn't believe he could play Big Ten ball. It's my understanding that Leuer would have been a Gopher if they offered earlier.

I like Leuer's game and think he will contribute a lot for Wisky in the next years. Which sucks!

Leuer is a stud. He would be a perfect fit on the Gophers. If we had him he could be teaching Iverson and RSIII the ropes as we speak. He is definitely the Badger with the most upside as far as a future in the NBA goes.

You think he's good enough to leave early? That would mean he's a guaranteed lottery pick after next year. No way, IMO.

I'm not sure that he's a lottery pick after next year, although he is skilled, big and athletic, but there are plenty of guys who come out early and go later in the first round.

Regardless of what continent he ends up playing in his pro career, I would have loved to seen him in Maroon and Gold.

I agree Jamiche, I was impressed with what I saw from Leuer last night. I am very surprised that at least one member of the previous staff did not want him and didn't believe he could play Big Ten ball. It's my understanding that Leuer would have been a Gopher if they offered earlier.

Based on my sometimes poor memory, we didn't offer at all. Monson wanted him (and Hoffarber at the time), but had no scholarships (or was that he had one scholarship to offer between the two players?). That was due to the regrettable decision to award scholarships to two JUCOs (Limar Wilson and the other guy whose name slips my mind). Monson wanted Leuer to walk on and wait a year for the scholarship. Subsequently, both JUCOs later quit the team after Leuer signed his LOI with Wisconsin, freeing up scholarships that Leuer could've used as a freshman.

Regardless of what continent he ends up playing in his pro career, I would have loved to seen him in Maroon and Gold.

Good player, could have helped, but screw him. I don't spend much time thinking about players that leave but when they leave for Wisconsin I care even less. I look forward to having the chance to beat him 5 more times and pound it in to him that he made the wrong decision.

I felt the same way when Parise chose to play college hockey at UND . He could have been a Gopher God and won WCHA titles and 2 NCAA championships but instead he went to Grand Forks and won nothing in his career. I hope that is what he was looking for out of his college choice.

I'm not sure that he's a lottery pick after next year, although he is skilled, big and athletic, but there are plenty of guys who come out early and go later in the first round.

You think if Leuer left school after next year that he'd be a first round pick? No way. He isn't a first round pick. Not after next year and not the year after that. He could make an NBA roster, but it will be as a 2nd rounder or a free agent. No way should he leave early. He's a nice player, but he isn't good enough to leave school early.

Based on my sometimes poor memory, we didn't offer at all. Monson wanted him (and Hoffarber at the time), but had no scholarships (or was that he had one scholarship to offer between the two players?). That was due to the regrettable decision to award scholarships to two JUCOs (Limar Wilson and the other guy whose name slips my mind). Monson wanted Leuer to walk on and wait a year for the scholarship. Subsequently, both JUCOs later quit the team after Leuer signed his LOI with Wisconsin, freeing up scholarships that Leuer could've used as a freshman.

Yes, I think Monson offered both Hoffarber and Leuer and said the first one to say yes gets the scholarship. Hoffarber pulled the trigger, but that wasn't handled all that well by that coaching regime, either.

The JUCO you are forgetting is Engen Nurumbi, who Bill Walker promised would be a force in the Big Ten. As it turned out, Nurumbi couldn't do anything well on the basketball court.

I also have been very impressed with Leuer. Don't forget that this is a guy who supposedly grew 10 inches in HS. He's still adapting to his size. He's pretty athletic, has pretty good touch, and looks to be pretty aggressive. I can easily see him as an NBA player and a first rounder at that as long as he keeps getting better like it appears he will. I wouldn't be shocked if he's Wisconsin's big star next year and is among the Big 10's leading scorers and rebounders.

Leuer had his coming out party at the Gopher Team camp before his junior season, at that time he was only 6'6 but was scoring from all over the court and I remember Doug Gottlieb, who was the guest speaker, sitting there watching Trevor play and noticed Leuer on another court and told Walker and Couch that he was the guy they should be offering right now, of course they had no idea who he was. Monson was on vacation so he never saw any of this. Even with the Leuer growth spurt, Molinari didn't think he could play in the Big Ten and Monson listened to him until it was too late. They we're desperate to save there jobs so they felt they needed to sign a juco, sight unseen, and that was Engen Nurumbi. That should of been Leuer's spot. He would of committed to the Gophers had they offered anytime during his juiior season, by the summer when they finally got around to offering him and Blake, the Leuer's we're so turned off by Monson and staff that they wanted nothing to do with MN anymore. Luckily for MN, Blake was a diehard Gopher or else we would of blown it with him as well.

I don't know if Leuer is NBA material, but he will be a great player in the Big Ten the next two years and definately one that got away, as is Cole. However, the way Tubby has things rolling, I think we will do all right.

Luckily for MN, Blake was a diehard Gopher or else we would of blown it with him as well.

Also lucky for us, didn't Nolen verbal during his Soph year and weren't some people questioning his ability to play in the Big Ten?

I didn't like his game and I still don't because he doesn't work hard. I follow the NBA pretty closely and I haven't heard a thing about him this year. I just looked up his stats and he averages 12 a game. Not bad but not equal to his talent level.

You probably haven't heard about him because the Clips are completely and utterly irrelevant.

Doesn't work hard? What is the basis for that statement?

Check out EG's game log and the ridiculous tear he has been on for the past month. If he is scoring in bunches like that without trying then he is the next MJ.

I'm pretty certain that Gordon will have a better NBA career than Mayo. Now, neither one of them will prove to be as valuable as a winner like KLove but that's a different argument. :)

Leur a stronger version of rickert

Leur reminds me of Rickert. Leur looks stronger and has a better perimeter game. Rickert didn't make it in the nba because he had trouble adding muscle and guarding people. Leur doesnt seem to have trouble putting weight on. If he can guard the power forwards in the nba, he will play for years. There is no way he is quick enough to stay with any small forwards. I think he needs to get his weight up to 240-250. He'd be similar to Gugliotta then. Good handle, good shot, smart player. Aldrich will be a late lottery pick when he goes. He has length, something McHale has never understood. He keeps drafting undersized guys at every position. Love will be good though.

Top Bottom