Big Ten Coaches

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
Saw this on another website I read. Just wanting to get the Minnesota view. Basically it is ranking the Big Ten Coaches 1-11. And when you rank them please give your reasoning, and make it valid(for example if you Tubby #1 using "because he is the Minnesota coach" is not valid reasoning.)

Here is my list

1.Izzo
2.Tubby (You could flip these two and I wouldn't argue with you)
3.Ryan (Does more with less)
4.Weber (Underachived last year-might be overachiving this year)
5. Beilein(Good in game, so-so on the recuiting trail, although the guys he gets fit his system.)
6.Painter(Reverse of Beilein, expect the jury is still out on in game preformance. Also recuits 4 year players that fill importent roles and not just stars. Could flip Beilein and Painter and I wouldn't argue with you.)
7. Crean(Could move up. Needs to do something with out D-Wade)
8.Matta(He is a good recuiter but stuggles in game. I will doubt his coaching ability until one of his teams overachieve.)
9.Lickliter(He could very move up pretty easily if he system gets going at Iowa)
10.Carmody(Genius with the Princeton O and 1-3-1 D but struggles on the recuiting trail. He is in danger of losing his job.)
11.Dechelis(Seems to find diamonds in the rough recuiting. But he hasn't proven anything.)

Saw this on another website I read. Just wanting to get the Minnesota view. Basically it is ranking the Big Ten Coaches 1-11. And when you rank them please give your reasoning, and make it valid(for example if you Tubby #1 using "because he is the Minnesota coach" is not valid reasoning.)

Here is my list

1.Izzo
5. Beilein(Good in game, so-so on the recuiting trail, although the guys he gets fit his system.)
6.Painter(Reverse of Beilein, expect the jury is still out on in game preformance. Also recuits 4 year players that fill importent roles and not just stars. Could flip Beilein and Painter and I wouldn't argue with you.)
8.Matta(He is a good recuiter but stuggles in game. I will doubt his coaching ability until one of his teams overachieve.)
9.Lickliter(He could very move up pretty easily if he system gets going at Iowa)
10.Carmody(Genius with the Princeton O and 1-3-1 D but struggles on the recuiting trail. He is in danger of losing his job.)
11.Dechelis(Seems to find diamonds in the rough recuiting. But he hasn't proven anything.)

I would consider career W-L (%) overall and W-L (%) record in NCAA games only. Izzo #1 in the latter. Bo Ryan #1 in the former. Tubby is Top 2 or 3 in both categories among Big 10 coaches.

Here http://www.dbwoerner.com/basketball/coaches/coach109.html is the NCAA list.

Here http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/DIMBBcoaches.pdf is list of best coaching records (page 3).

Here is my list

1.Izzo

I'd rank them:

1. Izzo (I think anyone who doesn't have him at #1 is crazy. He's got the title and consistency.)
2. Smith (Again, he has the title and consistency.)
3. Ryan (Consistent, but occasionally falters in March when it matters.)
4. Beilien (To say what he's done at Michigan is anything short of amazing it shortsighted at best.)
5. Weber (I like him, but something about inconsistencies puts him here...)
6. Matta (Yeah, he's had a lot of talent in Columbus, but still makes some boneheaded moves.)
7. Painter (If he turns what looks to be a confusing season into a convincing one in West Lafayette this season, he'll move up to #4 for me.)
8. Crean (Short end of the stick this season - jury's still out for his tenure at Indiana.)
9. Lickliter (Hasn't got much going in Iowa, has proven himself to be a good coach, may need more time ... will he survive long enough to get it?)
10. Carmody (Wildcats always good for an upset, will never be a contender though.)
11. DeChellis (PSU is a headscratcher to me. Their athletics program is solid except men's basketball, which is usually always awful. Is DeChellis the reason?)

All I know is Dan Monson wouldn't be 16-1 at this point in the season if he was coaching a roster of NBA draft picks.

I can't for the life of me understand why Penn State puts up with the ineptitude that is Penn State Basketball.

Ed DeChellis never gets more than two (Battle and Cornley this year. Pringle I'm sorry, I don't think so) really good players. They are always "undermanned". Every game they win against a Big Ten power is considered a major upset EVERY SINGLE YEAR. They have never been good in Basketball since they joined the Big Ten way back when. No other Big Ten basketball program has been that inept for that long. I don't count Northwestern.. They do the best they can with the restrictions they have.

There is no reason on this earth why Penn State should not be competent in basketball, none.

Of course this is just my opinion as a casual observer of Penn State Basketball.

If NU can win at football, why can't they win at basketball?

Duke, Stanford, Vandy, Wake Forest (examples, there are others) all have strong academics and excellent basketball programs.

Northwestern has NO Men's basketball tradition. They have a banner that reads NIT 2nd Round (seriously).

St. Joes has 8 students. Nova is tiny. George Mason got to the final four. Do they even care?

Northwestern has NO Men's basketball tradition. They have a banner that reads NIT 2nd Round (seriously).
Back in the '50s and '60s, most interest in collegiate basketball in the Chicago area was focused on DePaul and Loyola. Seems like that hasn't changed much.

St. Joes has 8 students. Nova is tiny. George Mason got to the final four. Do they even care?

And let's not forget Davidson which is tiny compared to Northwestern. The Wildcats could compete in basketball if they ever get the right coach.

I can't for the life of me understand why Penn State puts up with the ineptitude that is Penn State Basketball.

Ed DeChellis never gets more than two (Battle and Cornley this year. Pringle I'm sorry, I don't think so) really good players. They are always "undermanned". Every game they win against a Big Ten power is considered a major upset EVERY SINGLE YEAR. They have never been good in Basketball since they joined the Big Ten way back when. No other Big Ten basketball program has been that inept for that long. I don't count Northwestern.. They do the best they can with the restrictions they have.

There is no reason on this earth why Penn State should not be competent in basketball, none.

Of course this is just my opinion as a casual observer of Penn State Basketball.

There are a lot of factors that go into PSU basketball's poor tradition. First, they don't have much of a fanbase. Their football fanbase is derived largely from Philly, Pittsburgh, and Lehigh Valley folk, who can make that weekend trip worthwhile. But they have to drive 2+ hours to get to State College, and so you will never see PSU basketball have the same comparative attendance level of the football team simply because of the logistics.

The Bryce Jordan Center is a decent arena, but like the Kohl Center and most other new-age collegiate basketball arenas, it is sterile and lacks much personality. Certainly PSU won't win points with recruits here.

PSU as a school and campus is wonderful (I spent many years there in graduate school). But, again, it's a school in the middle of nowhere....football recruits don't tend to look down on rural-type schools as much as basketball recruits seem to...

Penn State mainly recruits the east coast area, and fails to recruit the midwest (this includes football too). Why, I don't know...it works in football because the program is huge - arguably the best in the area (competing in that area with Virginia Tech, Ohio State, West Virginia, and Pitt, mainly) and kids from New York, Maryland, and New Jersey are happy to go there. In terms of basketball, however, they aren't the biggest fish in the pond. They compete in these areas for ACC and Big East recruits, and arguably are only the 3rd-best basketball program in the Commonwealth (Pitt and Temple) - those same basketball kids probably grow up watching basketball conferences other than the Big Ten, so to get the blue-chip east coast kids to Penn State basketball is an awful big stretch.

To compete for recruits, PSU needs to start recruiting other areas where there may not be as much competition. Frankly, one area that they should consider is the midwest and Minnesota High School Basketball. If PSU could have taken any of the #3 to say, the #6 recruits in Minnesota (after White and Williams) for this coming year, would they not have improved their incoming class?

Lastly, PSU does not commit much effort into improving the basketball team. DeChellis was a successful small-school coach, but everyone here knew that he was not the big name coach needed to really turn the program around. They took a chance, and got a decent but not-good-enough coach. For that choice, they pay with continued mediocrity.

Top Bottom