Who is your favorite player this year? And why?

GopherLady

Reaction score
Let's continue the love for our guys. This is a first for me, I don't have one! For the past few years, JAS has been my favorite, but now I'm torn between a few (keep in mind, these are personal preferences, not the MVP).

- Paul Carter: I love this kid. On and off the court he's a first class act. I think you can really see how people handle themselves when struck with adversity, and he did that when he got injured. He (and Bostick) were always the first ones on their feet, supporting their team. I also love his athleticism, and he is getting better every game.

- Devron Bostick: How can you not love a kid from Racine, WI? On top of that, I love how he's fought for his playing time. It is an adjustment from JUCO ball to the BT, and you can tell he was working out his nerves, but he never gave up. He's earned every minute he's gotten, and has had a great couple games.

- Al Nolen: I LOVE the way this kid plays. He is the kind of player you dream of as a coach, so well-rounded, un-selfish, balanced, and his stat lines are insane. Shots don't fall from time to time, but with a kid like Al, he gets it done on D, with steals, assists, and it is such a relief to have 100% confidence in a point guard - which I do in Nolen.

- JAS: He has taken grief since day one...and has had his ups and downs on the court, but he always gives it 100%. Is is a true team leader and a great role model. From earning a scholly to winning a starting spot his Freshman year, to playing on the Jordan national team and becoming a Captain his senior year. His contributions to the team are not tangible.

- Travis Busch: One word for you....HUSTLE!

Man, I could go on and on about players I just love watching...but I'm interested to see who your favorites are and why? I clearly can not decide on just one!

still The Hoff #1 and Reverend Carter #2 (I loved him from the exhibition games)....though Blake is struggling w/ the long ball, he continually finds ways to improve the rest of his game and I think his 3 pt issues are making him a more well-rounded and valuable weapon. PC is a wild man who brings intensity and talent whenever he steps on the floor, he has improved over the last few games.

Lady, pipe down your Ray-town love! Devron is good despite being from there, lol :) j/k

Lady, pipe down your Ray-town love! Devron is good despite being from there, lol :) j/k

I think you had a typo, it should read:

Lady, pipe down your Ray-town love! Devron is good BECAUSE HE IS from there, lol :)

P.S. I love Hoff too - any criticism is un-warranted. Shooters have off games, period. He finished the Iowa game, so Tubby seems to think he's good enough!

D. Johnson

It's D. Johnson for me. Great athlete, hustles, always smiling. He makes things happen.

DJ and Carter for me. JAS has always been solid but I honestly haven't seen anything positive this year against any real comp. He's starting to look like he doesn't belong IMO. Kid is a leader and has heart, though

DJ. I just love the his stat stuffing play and his versatility on D.

DJ and RSIII. Every time i watch III i get goosebumps thinking about how great he could become in 2 years.

DJ has been my fav for quite some time...if Paul Carter can keep up what he's done the last couple of games, he'll be right there with him. Man, the match-up nightmares those 2 can create...

For me, it's a tie between Busch and Carter.

The nice thing is that there are no players who seem to be head cases or who don't seem to be genuinely good people.

Tough Q..
Al Nolen is the man. I just wish he would 'stop & pop' more, instead of getting in trouble by going too far under the bucket...but that's easy for me to say!
Paul Carter, what can you say, he will prove huge the rest of the way.
Blake is smart, steady, and one heck of a point guard.... :)
Colton needs to bring it and go to the basket, if he does, look out.
DJ is smooth and arguably the most important player on the court.
Westbrook is so tough and clutch...don't like his behind the back dribbles however.
Then there's Ralph, Bostick, and Devoe...
It's a toss up at this point as there is a lot of season to go....but I'll stick with Al so far.

First off let me say I love everyone on the team, even if JAS gets on my nerves a lot. Let me give some shout-outs to players not mentioned much here:

Joesph- One of my favorites ever since he came over and talked to the Gopher fans traveling to Ann Arbor last year.

Colton- Just love his attitude and love those follow up dunks. Plus I was the big white guy when I played Bball, so I always liked those guys.

Westbrook- No love for him on this board, yikes! He is determined, and has the ability to make crazy shots. Whenever he gets the ball in his hands I get excited (and a bit nervous, I'll admit).

And of course I have to mention Paul Carter, even though many have. I liked him ever since the Tip-off. What a guy!

It's impossible not to love any of the guys wearing Maroon and Gold these days, but for me Colton is my favorite. It has nothing to do with stats, playing style or his phyical presence.

Colt really made a connection with me after the Louisville game. He was jumping up and down with so much excitement towards the Gopher fans in the crowd. He had this "boyish" charm to him that really connected with me.

Paul Carter is quickly becoming my favorite. His background. What he had to go through. Seems like he is thoroughly enjoying himself out there. And he is RAW.... love it.

DJ. he's totally sold out to coach, he's like chuck hayes, if tubby asks him to lock down a guard its done, a wing its done, or a post pplayer its done. when royce comes in he will be the perfect mentor on and off the court. plus the work ethic, that jumpshot wasnt there last year.

I agree. DJ is the guy. He has great versatility. That is what this team runs on. Not stars.

DJ - can dominate the game without scoring a point. Has anyone blocked as many 3 point shots as he? I wish I could find that stat

DJ just does it all and it's kind of amazing to watch. There are at least three or four moments a game, especially on defense, where you think to yourself "Wow, what a great play by Johnson!!!" And if he keeps improving his outside shooting to go along with his slashes to the hoop, he'll be pretty close to a complete player.

Having just said all that, I LOVE Nolen. He gets everybody going and is kind of "the straw that stirs the drink." What I like most about Al is that he really isn't very concerned with his own offense, he wants to get everybody else into the game and really hustles on defense. Plus, very rarely does he makes bad decisions from the point, which is really hard to find in point guards!!!:)

JAS

While there are too many to choose from, JAS deserves a lot of credit for accepting limited minutes as a senior. A big part of his role seems to be keeping the bench in the game, whatever the score, and it's pretty obvious that he relishes what he's doing even though he isn't playing a lot. Otherwise, a lot of choices right now, but by season's end it might be Carter.

There are just so many guys you could pick which I think really says a lot about this team.

Tubby changes is lineup so much during a game, no matter what style he decides to go with DJ is in the mix. Gotta luv that versatility.

When Tubby came I said Westbrook would emerge. I thought he was the most athletic guy Tubby had to work with and trusted that he would know how to harness that. And he has, so I feel I need to pick him due to continuity of thought.

But my pick goes to Nolen. He is the spirit of this team. And watching him develop I have no doubt he'll be a huge offensive threat as well by the time he graduates. He just needs to gain a little more control of the floor which I think he'll learn as well. With him I feel like we always have a chance.

Damian Johnson

DJ is my favorite player because of his unselfishness and versatility. He excels on defense, but he truly does everything well.

Nolen is my second favorite player and I think he is a potential NBA player. I believe he is the best defender in the Big Ten and it reminds me of the Harris and Jackson days. At times though he drives me nuts with his lack of ability to finish around the rim. How many times this year has he missed the rim on contested layups? It reminds me of Voshon Leonard. If Nolen could hit the midrange jumper and develop a floater he would be unstoppable--and so would the team.

I also like Carter, but his ballhandling is absolutely atrocious! He needs to be more aware of his weaknesses (and work on it in the offseason) because he brings a lot to the table.

TRAVIS BUSCH

He gets more results from less talent, works his tail off, and accepts whatever role he is given - like guarding Landry when Johnson was in foul trouble (a no win situation). I'm a parent - he's what every Dad would aspire their son to be - a true role model/hero.

That's not taking anything away from our other players. This might be the easiest team to write complimentary things about each player. Way to recruit Tuby!!

Top Bottom