Brewster's Comments Last Night

Boondoggle

Reaction score
I have to hand it to Brewster. He said, "There is nobody to blame this loss on but myself. I didn't have these players prepared enough to execute our gameplan." Brewster said over and over again that it was his fault that the team lost tonight and wasn't prepared. He might look at the offense and realize some changes might possibly need to be made. The problems are probably more X and O compicated than we realize, so some personnel changes may be made. Maybe the changes will be a difference in schemes, but I don't know for sure.

Hearing the comments made by Brewster last night, one has to wonder what Mason would have said in this situation. It probably would have been something like this: "Our guys kept fighting for yardage, but Iowa came ready to play tonight. We caught them at the wrong time." Those kinds of statements made by Mason were absolute BS. I have a lot more respect for Brewster than I did for Mason.

I heard a past coach say

After a easy win turned into a loss..."Nobody died". This coach is learning and should take the blame.

After a easy win turned into a loss..."Nobody died". This coach is learning and should take the blame.

I like what he's doing here. You don't have to like what he's doing here, but you have to respect him when he makes comments like that.

I am more convinced than ever that Brewster is the right guy. We are terribly young and have nearly no depth. Started three freshmen on the O line yesterday. Not making excuses, just stating facts. We are going to keep getting better. I expect the coaches to get the O kick started before the bowl game. Our D was worn down real badly yesterday with all that time on the field. The O has got to move the ball and take time off the clock, hell even scoring would help. We will have struggles until these freshmen are seniors, but we will keep getting better.

It's refreshing to have a coach put blame on himself. There is another football coach in MN that seems to blame everyone but himself all the time when the team plays bad. Good for Brewster.

Glad to see there are some with sanity here.

Was that embarrassing and should NOT ever happen? Heck yes!
- see Texas Tech....it does happen though at times.

Will I abandon the coaches and players? NO

Do I think Brewster is still the right man for the job? Yes!

Is this the same staff that prepared the team so wonderfully against Wisconsin? Yes.

I think the O line just couln't do it any more...and it exposed the razor thin depth on the team.

I believe that reinforcements are on the way. Watch how the recruiting goes from here on out.

Still they are bowling..and the biggest thing is they get to practice more..which is big for the younger players.

Just ask Purdue and Illinois (big surprise to me), Indiana, and Michigan how much they would rather trade places with us.

Go Gophers! Win the bowl game.

GM

Mason probably would've blamed the freshmen.

Brewster is not the man to lead this program

I am so surprised how so many people can be in support of Brewster. I think he is a good salesman and a slick talker which strikes a chord with many recruits but of very little substance or coaching ability. It should set off red flags when a coach such as Brewster is with Mack Brown for over 10 years and never in that time was ever promoted to a coordinator position. It is also interesting that he was never promoted from a position coach in the NFL either. He never had responsibility for developing an offensive or defensive gameplan. I put most of this blame on our A.D. who never even took the time to interview other candidates who had shown progression in their careers and had wanted to be considered for this job(i.e. Lane Kiffin, Bo Pelini, etc..). I really want to see the gophers progress as a program and quite frankly we are worse off then when Glen Mason was here. While I was far from a huge Glen Mason fan, he did have this team going to bowl games consistently and could pull the occasional upsets over the Penn States and Ohio States. I think he peaked at where he could take us and a change had to be made but I think you go after someone then who is proven and you think can get you to those New Years Day Bowls, not after a career position coach that never got promoted.

you are an idiot gopher god!! i'm sick of people hating on brewster. if we would have won at wisconsin you and all the rest of the brewster haters would be on his nuts singing how great of a coach he is. if you think you know anything about football then you would know it takes longer then 2-3 years to get your recruits and the right personal in there

ReCount Total

The new total is 1, and in 1 new poster from the ranks of the chronically unhappy. I highly doubt that any name selected from those interviewed would have satisfied many of the chronically unhappy.

I am so surprised how so many people can be in support of Brewster. I think he is a good salesman and a slick talker which strikes a chord with many recruits but of very little substance or coaching ability. It should set off red flags when a coach such as Brewster is with Mack Brown for over 10 years and never in that time was ever promoted to a coordinator position. It is also interesting that he was never promoted from a position coach in the NFL either. He never had responsibility for developing an offensive or defensive gameplan. I put most of this blame on our A.D. who never even took the time to interview other candidates who had shown progression in their careers and had wanted to be considered for this job(i.e. Lane Kiffin, Bo Pelini, etc..). I really want to see the gophers progress as a program and quite frankly we are worse off then when Glen Mason was here. While I was far from a huge Glen Mason fan, he did have this team going to bowl games consistently and could pull the occasional upsets over the Penn States and Ohio States. I think he peaked at where he could take us and a change had to be made but I think you go after someone then who is proven and you think can get you to those New Years Day Bowls, not after a career position coach that never got promoted.

SotaKid

Actually if we had beaten Wisconsin I would not be singing his praises. I have said all along there were more qualified candidates out there who had proven themselves in previous jobs.

McGopherFan,

Sorry but I have actually posted more than 1 just haven't taken the time yet to have my old post count moved over to the new site yet. It isn't that important to me and having thousands of posts tied to my name doesn't make me any more or less intelligent on the subject. My whole point is that hiring any new coach is a risk, but you should try and minimize your risk by going after guys who have shown a progression in their career while still acknowledging that it is still far from a guarantee for future success. I also think to make a informed decision when hiring for any position you bring in several candidates and evaluate the positives and negatives of each candidate.

Didn't hear Brewster's comments live, but he's at least saying the right things. He has a ways to go as a game day coach, but I thought he was much improved this year.

Sure, we could have hired other guys. Pelini might have been a better hire. It would have been nice to see them get someone akin to what the basketball program did in landing Smith.

But that's all water under the bridge. Brewster's here. I'm old and not naive and some of his personal tics grate, but I think he can put a solid team on the field. His test will be in whether he can get the talent to perform consistently and at a high level.

...quite frankly we are worse off then when Glen Mason was here.

While I agree that hiring Brewster was a high risk move (with result still TBD), I am curious by what measurement you can say we are currently worse off under him than we were under Mason. Is it because Brewster hasn't pulled off a huge upset yet? That is the only area where I can see that Brewster hasn't matched or exceeded Mason and Brewster hasn't exactly had a lot of opportunities for that yet.

With a bowl win, this year's team can meet or exceed the win total of every team in the Mason era with the exception of 2003. Do I think that Brewster is doing a vastly superior better job than Mason? Not really. But I think he is doing at least as well. And at least for me, I am more optimistic about the future of Gopher football than I ever was under Mason.

Thus you make Gopher God's point for him.

If we'd won at Wisconsin. The same Wisconsin that needed 3 missed extra points by Cal Poly SLO to beat them.

The same Wisconsin we absolutely dominated until about 2 minutes left in the first half, when against Brewster's stated creedo, instead of going for the kill, we let up on Wisconsin, let them lick their wounds at half time and Summer's Eve came out and completely outcoached Brewster in the second half.

We could have and should have won that game at Wisconsin.. Coaching cost us twice. That game, and then not getting the kids prepared to come out against Iowa. Biggest blunder you can make as a head coach is lose two games because of one. Happened to us several times last year, and again to close out the season.

Brewster is not a good head coach when it comes to the coaching department. He's done O.k. in recruting (getting everyone in and keeping the recruits that are there are holding him back) he's done fine in the P.R. Department, but when it comees to coaching, not so much not even close. We've been seriously outcoached by Dick Rod, Summer's Eve and Fierentz in the past three weeks. He may get there in time, but he's costing us games and program momentum every time we lose a game we should not because of coaching.

If saying this outloud isn't kosher in your book, I'm sorry, but you can't honestly prove otherwise.

While I agree that hiring Brewster was a high risk move (with result still TBD), I am curious by what measurement you can say we are currently worse off under him than we were under Mason. Is it because Brewster hasn't pulled off a huge upset yet? That is the only area where I can see that Brewster hasn't matched or exceeded Mason and Brewster hasn't exactly had a lot of opportunities for that yet.

With a bowl win, this year's team can meet or exceed the win total of every team in the Mason era with the exception of 2003. Do I think that Brewster is doing a vastly superior better job than Mason? Not really. But I think he is doing at least as well. And at least for me, I am more optimistic about the future of Gopher football than I ever was under Mason.

The measurement that I would use is that we were consistently going to bowl games under Mason and while not New Years Day Bowls they were always better than the Motor City Bowl. If you want to just look at overall team records I think you also have to look at the strength of schedule and it was fair to see that this is the weakest year for the Big Ten as a whole in a long time and the Gophers lucked out not having to play the conferences best team, Penn State. I am definitely not stating that we should bring Mason back, I just don't think and have never thought that Tim Brewster was the best candidate for this job as there were more proven candidates available and interested.

Thus you make Gopher God's point for him.

If we'd won at Wisconsin. The same Wisconsin that needed 3 missed extra points by Cal Poly SLO to beat them.

The same Wisconsin we absolutely dominated until about 2 minutes left in the first half, when against Brewster's stated creedo, instead of going for the kill, we let up on Wisconsin, let them lick their wounds at half time and Summer's Eve came out and completely outcoached Brewster in the second half.

We could have and should have won that game at Wisconsin.. Coaching cost us twice. That game, and then not getting the kids prepared to come out against Iowa. Biggest blunder you can make as a head coach is lose two games because of one. Happened to us several times last year, and again to close out the season.

Brewster is not a good head coach when it comes to the coaching department. He's done O.k. in recruting (getting everyone in and keeping the recruits that are there are holding him back) he's done fine in the P.R. Department, but when it comees to coaching, not so much not even close. We've been seriously outcoached by Dick Rod, Summer's Eve and Fierentz in the past three weeks. He may get there in time, but he's costing us games and program momentum every time we lose a game we should not because of coaching.

If saying this outloud isn't kosher in your book, I'm sorry, but you can't honestly prove otherwise.

You don't have any idea about anything you just wrote. Just as you say we can't prove otherwise neither can you prove that you're right. and that's because there's not enough data.
You don't know if it was coaching or a lack of effective alternatives. Only that we couldn't counter. You have no idea why.

The only reason that we didn't go to the Motor City Bowl in 2006 was because the Big 10 had two BCS bowl teams (same situation we are looking at this year if OSU can sneak in). Also, I think two years is hardly long enough to say the Brewster is not consistantly going to bowl games. That is like saying he has only missed going to a bowl game once in his tenure while ignoring the length of his tenure.

I will need more data on Brewster before I can confidently say that we are better or worse under his leadership than we were under Mason. I work in data for a living and right now there just isn't enough of it to make a conclusion one way or the other. But of course that is my opinion.

p.s. Thanks for responding without getting defensive. That seems a rarity on internet forums.

Top Bottom