Final figi Report: Minn. vs U of V

figi

Reaction score
Today's gym was the worst of the 3 venues here in the Vancouver area. It looked like it would be nearly empty just before game time. They were having Freshman Orientation and when it was over the gym filled up with very loud and loyal fans. For 1 1/2 quarters the Victoria Vikes gave them plenty to cheer about while we few Gopher fans shook our heads.

Again there was no board showing any statistics. The Gophers were missing shots and throwing the ball away. They were not blocking the shots of their smaller foes. The Vikes were very quick and the 3's were falling for them. They were also beating our guys off the dribble for easy buckets. The Gophers were down by 10 at one point.

The Gophers caught fire with a few minutes left in the 2nd quarter, Nolen hit a 3 and Rodney slammed down 2 dunks in a row. Mbakwe added one and the home town boys managed a 42 to 40 lead at half time. Nolen hurt his leg and did not play in the 2nd half. He was on the bench and didn't seem to be limping too badly.

Then the 2nd half started and it was a new game. Everything that went wrong in the 1st half was magically repaired in the 2nd. Devoe was at the point and with the ball in his hands most of the time he couldn't miss. Devoe and Blake poured in the 3's, Rodney hit 2 3's. The big guys ruled the boards, Hollins hit 4 F.T.'s in a row. Even Ahanmisi got 2 points.

They out scored the Vikes 59 to 27 in the 2nd half for a 101 to 67 win.

Devoe was definitely the best player of the 3 games. But, I don't know why the huge turn around in the 2nd half. It seemed like it was harder to score on the basket to our right for both teams. With Devoe at the point and making shots, Hoffarber found himself open more often and he is deadly when he's open. He also made another nice leaner going to the basket. Again, he did a good job rebounding.

Dawson played and lost the ball twice. He attempted a very smooth reverse lay up but it didn't go. Eliason had a very good game. He had about 6 points and several rebounds. He is going to be good. He has skills. He just needs more strength.

I don't really know why they played so well in the second half. I would like to hear the opinions of some of you folks.

We are back in the USA now and heading home. It was a fun trip.

Thanks again figi for the reports.

The parts of the 2nd half that I saw were great. It was like a light came on. Great way to finish their 'foreign' trip. Devoe could do no wrong. Tubby, in a post game interview on gophersports said that they went to a Zone to stop U-Vic. Maybe that contributed to the big turnaround. He also said Nolen got a lil 'hammy'.

Anyway, a great finish to the trip. Hopefully they remember this performance 40 days from now when practice begins October 15th.

Thanks again figi ---- safe journeys.

Today's gym was the worst of the 3 venues here in the Vancouver area. It looked like it would be nearly empty just before game time. They were having Freshman Orientation and when it was over the gym filled up with very loud and loyal fans. For 1 1/2 quarters the Victoria Vikes gave them plenty to cheer about while we few Gopher fans shook our heads.

Again there was no board showing any statistics. The Gophers were missing shots and throwing the ball away. They were not blocking the shots of their smaller foes. The Vikes were very quick and the 3's were falling for them. They were also beating our guys off the dribble for easy buckets. The Gophers were down by 10 at one point.

The Gophers caught fire with a few minutes left in the 2nd quarter, Nolen hit a 3 and Rodney slammed down 2 dunks in a row. Mbakwe added one and the home town boys managed a 42 to 40 lead at half time. Nolen hurt his leg and did not play in the 2nd half. He was on the bench and didn't seem to be limping too badly.

Then the 2nd half started and it was a new game. Everything that went wrong in the 1st half was magically repaired in the 2nd. Devoe was at the point and with the ball in his hands most of the time he couldn't miss. Devoe and Blake poured in the 3's, Rodney hit 2 3's. The big guys ruled the boards, Hollins hit 4 F.T.'s in a row. Even Ahanmisi got 2 points.

They out scored the Vikes 59 to 27 in the 2nd half for a 101 to 67 win.

Devoe was definitely the best player of the 3 games. But, I don't know why the huge turn around in the 2nd half. It seemed like it was harder to score on the basket to our right for both teams. With Devoe at the point and making shots, Hoffarber found himself open more often and he is deadly when he's open. He also made another nice leaner going to the basket. Again, he did a good job rebounding.

Dawson played and lost the ball twice. He attempted a very smooth reverse lay up but it didn't go. Eliason had a very good game. He had about 6 points and several rebounds. He is going to be good. He has skills. He just needs more strength.

I don't really know why they played so well in the second half. I would like to hear the opinions of some of you folks.

We are back in the USA now and heading home. It was a fun trip.

http://govikesgo.com/custompages/li...PSID=38661&SPID=3302&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=8400 here is boxscore.

Rodney

It was great to see him knock down two 3's. If he can continue to improve his shot... wow!

Due to a family commitment, I was only able to watch the first half of the game and was very unimpressed with the Gophers performance up to that point. I was sure glad to read that they really played well in the second half. I'm sure Tubby was pleased to complete the trip with a solid second half performance. I think it will take some time for this team to gel early this season, but the potential is there for a very big season.

It was great to see him knock down two 3's. If he can continue to improve his shot... wow!

Omit continue; If he can improve his shot... wow!

Rodney hit two 3's and had six dunks (I believe)... shot 8 of 20 --- 2 of 8 from deep. He is worthy to get major minutes from his shot blocking, rebounding and dunks alone, I just wish he would mix in some 12'-16' jumpers in place of some of those 3-balls.

Omit continue; If he can improve his shot... wow!

Rodney hit two 3's and had six dunks (I believe)... shot 8 of 20 --- 2 of 8 from deep. He is worthy to get major minutes from his shot blocking, rebounding and dunks alone, I just wish he would mix in some 12'-16' jumpers in place of some of those 3-balls.

His style is similar to Nolen's. Hard to see how he can ever be consistant. But, if he can put them down there are no point for style.

Top Bottom