Random Thoughts After BIG Win

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Will we remember last night's game as the turning point for the Gopher’s return to prominence? Only if we make the tournament.

Why would any self respecting Minnesota kid go to Wisconsin when they can play for Tubby. Did you hear the door shut on the boarders last night?

How long before the Williams arena ticket becomes the most coveted in town?

Did anyone else get the impression during the game from the look on fans faces, when the gophers were up early in the game and down during the middle, that the Wisconsin fans hadn’t even contemplated their team could lose?

That being said, did any of us think the Gophers could pull out a win when they picked up their 7th team foul with 8:53 left in the game and the refs were firmly suctioned to Bo’s backside.

To the jerk Wisconsin fan that sat behind my son and I at Williams arena during the loss to Wisconsin last year, I’ll take the high road but I’d give you a wink if I saw you.

Is there any better confidence boost for a young team than to win in one of the toughest arenas in the country?

Do you now believe this team is for real or (since you’re a true Minnesota sports fan and have been burned so many times) do you feel yourself trying very hard to manage your excitement?

From how far did Paul Carter come to block that lay-up? All I know is the Wisconsin player was about 12 feet from the basket when he caught it and Carter was still on the other side of the half court line. Incredible!

Keep in mind we won that game even though our most consistent player (Nolan) probably had his worst game as a Gopher.

I heard Tom Izzo make a comment about his 2000 Championship team. He said what made that team so great was that it was multi dimensional and could play any kind of game (power, running, etc) depending on the team they were playing. When our big guys develop, could that be the Gophers?

One game at a time – beat Northwestern!

- Can't remember who the Wisconsin player was that got stuffed by Carter, but did anyone else notice he slowed down on his way to the hoop? Like he wanted to draw a foul and lay it in.

- It's no wonder Wisconsin rarely loses at home with that homecourt reffing. DJ's 3rd and 4th fouls were ridiculous.

- Paul Carter's rebounding was the key to the win in my opinion. We had a small lineup, that didn't include a point guard during the comeback, but Carter simply outworked the Wisconsin bigs to grab rebounds and loose balls.

Great game! One thought. Does it seem like we need RSampsonIII to make an effort to play down low? Several times WI didn't even guard him when he was out at the free throw line....daring him to shoot, which he did, and missed badly.

I like him much better down low using his length....and being more aggressive. I know he's only a freshman, but he sometimes seems too passive.

Just my random thoughts......

Jack, he will get better. That lefthanded jump hook he made in the first half was impressive. There will be games where we will need those big bodies down low if we get into a slower type game with a team that plays defense as well as we do.
My starting lineup right now.

Nolen
Westbrook
Carter
Johnson
Colton

with Bostick, Hoff, and Ralph ready to come off the bench right away. We are tough this year and it is only year 2 of tubby time. Shoot, I will even give Monson credit for recruiting Al and Damian. These guys are the 2 most important on our team right now. Course, they didn't play anything like they are now under Monson. Tubby factor? He gets the most out of what he had unlike the other guy that probably got the status quo or least amount from the players he had.

I think the big man we need to worry more about is Colton. He is having trouble catching passes, and missed a few close ones last night. I think he will get back on track, but hes had a couple tough games in a row now.

Top Bottom