Where do we go from here- MarQueis Gray

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
After yesterday's debacle, I would hope that no one's job is safe. As much as it pains me to say so, here's hoping Gray is under center when we start next season.

If we're starting a true freshman QB, we're in a lot more trouble than we think.

Weber will start next season.

I think Buckeye fans would tend to disagree with your assessment.

I think Terrelle Pryor's success has a lot to do with the superb talent around him (not to mention his standing as the top recruit in the COUNTRY last year). Gray will not have that luxury next season. If he's starting game 1, we're in trouble.

Well actually, there were many analysts that were pegging Gray as a better Big 10 quarterback than Pryor. If thats the case, we should be in good shape with Gray. He also got a year to let his body mature.

The point is, he doesn't have the line or the receivers or the running game (yet) to make him look as good as Pryor. Stick Gray next to Beanie Wells, sure, he's gonna look like a world beater. Stick him next to DeLeon Eskridge ... well ... maybe not so much.

And for the record, I think we win 1 or maybe 2 more games this year w/ Pryor as our starting QB.

You can tell by OSU's stat line that Tressel protects him quite a bit with his play calling. He can only afford to do that because of the surrounding players. Gray would not improve this team. next year. The problem is on the OL.

I've been as disappointed with Weber's performance lately as anyone, but I have no doubt in my mind that he will be the starting QB next season.

You can tell by OSU's stat line that Tressel protects him quite a bit with his play calling. He can only afford to do that because of the surrounding players. Gray would not improve this team. next year. The problem is on the OL.

Did we pick up any OL recruits this season? I haven't been paying attention.

Did we pick up any OL recruits this season? I haven't been paying attention.

Yeah, we did actually. But the biggest improvements will be age and size and the long awaited Matt Carufel, the transfer from ND. We will both improve and build depth.

Considering we know where Weber is, if Gray beats him out in an open competition I don't know how that can make us worse.

I agree with Costa Rican that Weber will be a four year starter but competition at positions makes guys work harder and makes teams better. If Gray finds his way on the field over a healthy Weber it is a sign that he is a lot better and we're better off. Brewster would not bench a two year starter, captain, and proven leader for a true freshman QB unless the true freshman gives us a better chance to win.

I don't think any of us can say Gray should start next year, because no one knows how good he will be. I say we should open up the QB competition though. Who ever is better should play.

Gray will technically be a true freshman, but keep in mind, he has practiced with the team earlier this year, and he will practice with the team in spring. He will have a better grasp of the offense than your typical true freshman.

No position should be safe. Ever. This is college football.

Weber has a great attitude and a ton of talent. He is already one of my all-time favorite Gophers.

I'm sure he will be a captain in 2009 and 2010. But he will need to start hitting guys on the numbers or he will be leading from the sideline in no time.

Gray would be able to neutralize the incompetency of our offensive line with his legs. He wouldn't be able to completely nullify the incompetency of the line, but his legs would certainly be a difference maker.

I saw a lot of improvement in Weber from last year but he also continued making many of the same mistakes, most noticeably staring down his receivers. I'm guessing Gray gets some time next year to show what he can do.

I'm not sure I'd want to waste a year of Gray's eligibility. Why not red shirt him while the program continues to develop. Give him a chance to acclimate himself with Dunbar's offense--or that of whoever replaces him should they make a change--and let him take the field a year or so down the line with much better pieces surrounding him?

I'm not sure I'd want to waste a year of Gray's eligibility. Why not red shirt him while the program continues to develop. Give him a chance to acclimate himself with Dunbar's offense--or that of whoever replaces him should they make a change--and let him take the field a year or so down the line with much better pieces surrounding him?

understandably, i don't think the current regime has the "luxury" to be that patient/wait around for such a scenario to unfold. gray will already be 20 by next season. we are not talking about an 18 year old fresh out of high school kid anymore.

Before he was ruled out for this season, Gray was impressing in practice, and there was a belief that he was too talented to keep off the field. If that was true this year, I'm sure it will be next year. If he can significantly help the team, he should play.

It's just rediculous that given there are only two bright spots on offense we want to throw out one of them. Fix the other problems and you won't have to worry about the QB spot.

Top Bottom