Figi Report: Minn. vs TWU

figi

Reaction score
This was a very rough game, with players nearly coming to blows. The score board did not show any game statistics. On the whole it was not a good Gopher performance. Give the Spartans some credit for that.

I see that most of you have found internet sites that stream the game. So I will be brief.

We won but it was sloppy. Hoffarber made some critical buckets, especially down the stretch. But, he turned the ball over again and again on terrible passes. Al was steady. But, he got in early foul trouble and Devoe had to take over the point. Mo was still the best big man for the Gophers. But, he was often left behind as the game moved up and down the court. Mbakwe had some high flying rebounds and baskets. But, it became painfully apparent that he has no touch once he is any distances from the hoop. Rodney again played good defense and rebounded well. he also had a couple of big slams. But, once again he missed every jumper he put up. I think Hollins Only had one bucket. Ahanmisi played with more confidence tonight. But he did not score .

Players that played better were Joseph. He again made some great shots. This guy has to start. He did finish the game. Iverson played better even through he and Trevor were engaged in hand to hand combat all night.

Somebody asked for more news about Eliason. But, there is little to tell. He gets in. He maybe gets a rebound and he sits down.

Sampson did not play. His ankle was taped and he was limping. He did dress and was walking without any aid.

This was a very rough game, with players nearly coming to blows. The score board did not show any game statistics. On the whole it was not a good Gopher performance. Give the Spartans some credit for that.

I see that most of you have found internet sites that stream the game. So I will be brief.

We won but it was sloppy. Hoffarber made some critical buckets, especially down the stretch. But, he turned the ball over again and again on terrible passes. Al was steady. But, he got in early foul trouble and Devoe had to take over the point. Mo was still the best big man for the Gophers. But, he was often left behind as the game moved up and down the court. Mbakwe had some high flying rebounds and baskets. But, it became painfully apparent that he has no touch once he is any distances from the hoop. Rodney again played good defense and rebounded well. he also had a couple of big slams. But, once again he missed every jumper he put up. I think Hollins Only had one bucket. Ahanmisi played with more confidence tonight. But he did not score .

Players that played better were Joseph. He again made some great shots. This guy has to start. He did finish the game. Iverson played better even through he and Trevor were engaged in hand to hand combat all night.

Somebody asked for more news about Eliason. But, there is little to tell. He gets in. He maybe gets a rebound and he sits down.

Sampson did not play. His ankle was taped and he was limping. He did dress and was walking without any aid.

Thanks for the on-site reporting figi. Always good to have that firsthand in-person perspective. Video feed much better for TWU than UBC. Venue looked pretty good there as well.

No Double D (Dominique) again last night. Who else is on the trip that has not played? Stark? Halvorson?

I agree with your Pt Guard comments on Nolen, Joseph and Maverick. Our PG Play has been a lil disappointing to me - but it is summer exhibition I guess. Nolen reminds me of Nolen. Hold the ball while dribbling out top (maybe too STEADY) - then try to make something happen after everyone is set up and in place waiting for something to happen. Joseph, when at the point, looks like he tries to do too much on his own. Maverick looked better to me last night against TWU. He looked like he wanted to play within the system and tried to get others involved. I liked TWU's PG Smith. He was the best PG on the floor last night IMHO - from my 17 inch monitor. TWU played much better than I expected. Lots of TO's from our guards - and I was most surprised by the terrible TO's from Hoff.

I like the looks of Hollins - and I like your defensive comments on Rodney - something I did not pick up on from my computer screen.

Big Baby Walker looks good to me - bring on those big 10 skinflints.

Mbakwe looks like he will improve as time goes on and will add plenty to our game.

Thanks again for your on-site reporting. Look forward to your Sunday night report.

Thanks for the on-site reporting figi. Always good to have that firsthand in-person perspective. Video feed much better for TWU than UBC. Venue looked pretty good there as well.

No Double D (Dominique) again last night. Who else is on the trip that has not played? Stark? Halvorson?

I agree with your Pt Guard comments on Nolen, Joseph and Maverick. Our PG Play has been a lil disappointing to me - but it is summer exhibition I guess. Nolen reminds me of Nolen. Hold the ball while dribbling out top (maybe too STEADY) - then try to make something happen after everyone is set up and in place waiting for something to happen. Joseph, when at the point, looks like he tries to do too much on his own. Maverick looked better to me last night against TWU. He looked like he wanted to play within the system and tried to get others involved. I liked TWU's PG Smith. He was the best PG on the floor last night IMHO - from my 17 inch monitor. TWU played much better than I expected. Lots of TO's from our guards - and I was most surprised by the terrible TO's from Hoff.

I like the looks of Hollins - and I like your defensive comments on Rodney - something I did not pick up on from my computer screen.

Mbakwe looks like he will improve as time goes on and will add plenty to our game.

Thanks again for your on-site reporting. Look forward to your Sunday night report.

Gophers only took 12 players. Dawson is the 12th. Neither Stark nor Halvorsen made the trip.

How did Joseph do playing point?

Halverson and Stark did not make the trip. Dawson did not play again.

Now that ive seen Mbakwe log some minutes, I feel good about my previous predictions but id like to change them. around 12 ppg instead of 13, 10 boards a games instead of 11, and 2 blocks instead of 2.5. that seems resonable for me, he might get better too.

What time do they play on the 5th? I'm assuming it can be viewed online again? Thanks.

How did Joseph do playing point?

Joseph does a good job at the point. He probably does as well as Nolen. I think he is the most complete player on the team. The problem is, if he plays the point he can't be at the 2 guard where he can do the best job.

i think nolen could play 30-35 mins a game if Tubby would let him. The rest of that time Devoe could be playing SG and hoff and Rodney could switch off with hollins and devoe.

I would be surprised if Devoe didn't see a decent amount of time at point this year. He and Tubby have probably had the "NBA talk" and I think he'll get more time at point to make him a better combo guard.

I would be surprised if Devoe didn't see a decent amount of time at point this year. He and Tubby have probably had the "NBA talk" and I think he'll get more time at point to make him a better combo guard.

I don't think Tubby will determine playing time and position time based on Devoe's possible future in the NBA.

Blake gets 25 (mins PT) at SG with Joseph getting the other 15.

Nolen gets 25 at PG and Joseph the other 15.

I'd guess, anyway.

Hollins (15) will back up Williams (25) at WF.

Now that ive seen Mbakwe log some minutes, I feel good about my previous predictions but id like to change them. around 12 ppg instead of 13, 10 boards a games instead of 11, and 2 blocks instead of 2.5. that seems resonable for me, he might get better too.

Um, I appreciate your passion for Gopher basketball but you do realize it's preseason; they have had very little practice; Trevor hasn't played any meaningful basketball for quite a while; and I assume you're watching an internet feed on your computer screen? You either have a hell of an eye for basketball talent or else you're a tad early fine tuning.

Figi, do you live in Vancouver? Beautiful city, I visited it on my honeymoon this summer. One of the most "livable" cities I've ever visited. Too bad the days or so short in the winter!

Figi, do you live in Vancouver? Beautiful city, I visited it on my honeymoon this summer. One of the most "livable" cities I've ever visited. Too bad the days or so short in the winter!

No, we live in the Minneapolis area. We just decided drive out to see the games. We also enjoy Vancouver and I had a chance to visit my wife's relatives in Montana. They had recently bought a mini ranch that I had not seen.

There have been about a dozen Gopher fans at the games. Most live in the area or flew out. We are the only ones nuts enough to drive.

This trip we drove to Whistler. We hadn't done that before.

LOL! I think you have the wrong Joseph. Devoe Joseph will not ever sniff the NBA.

No, we live in the Minneapolis area. We just decided drive out to see the games. We also enjoy Vancouver and I had a chance to visit my wife's relatives in Montana. They had recently bought a mini ranch that I had not seen.

There have been about a dozen Gopher fans at the games. Most live in the area or flew out. We are the only ones nuts enough to drive.

You weren't nuts to drive. We took a two week driving/hiking vacation out west and it was one of our best trips in years. We stayed off of the interstate as much as possible, saw some amazing sights and stayed in some neat little towns. My only regret is that we didn't do it when our kids were young.

Driving is great! I live in LA and I'm considering taking a long road trip up the 1 and ending up in Vancouver. Montana and Idaho are also great places to visit. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

LOL! I think you have the wrong Joseph. Devoe Joseph will not ever sniff the NBA.

That is a pretty interesting statement to make before he has even officially started his junior year. Especially when he is easily going to be the "go-to guy" for this season at least (i.e., the best on the team at creating his own shot)

That is a pretty interesting statement to make before he has even officially started his junior year. Especially when he is easily going to be the "go-to guy" for this season at least (i.e., the best on the team at creating his own shot)

Ignore Art. He's either a troll or an imbecile. Either way, there's no point responding to his babblings.

Top Bottom