It's all about the Journey...

GopherLady

Reaction score
I got a text tonight from a friend that went to the U that said, "NOW it was worth the trip!!!" and it really kind of annoyed me. I texted him back and said, "If we got blown out by 40, it would be worth the trip, fairweather fan!"

Is this just a Minnesota mind-set or a sports fan in general? Nate and I talk about this all of the time, we have been at some of the worst losses the Gophers have ever had. Although he was not able to make it today, we have seen the Gophers lose time and time again on the road. Up until this season, the only road win for basketball I had seen was Iowa State last year, and this year I've doubled my wins (with WI and IA)...that's twice as many as I had seen in the past 12 years as a Gopher fan....

but back to my point, it's all about the Journey. If we hadn't experienced all of those losses, this win would never feel so good. Nate told me how it was to grow up in Nebraska, as a football fan - you always expect your team to win. I almost feel like that's how WI fans were tonight, they expect to win at home, and rightfully so. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have Nebraska's football program, or WI's record at home - but it's all of these ups and downs that make the wins that much sweeter...and tonight, was about as sweet as it gets!!!

L Are Never Fun

But they make W that much MORE fun.

Case in point, one of my favorite W by UK was 92-90 over IU juggernaut in 1975 after L-ing to IU by 98-74 earlier that season.

That L made the W so much sweeter.

FOT,

I'm sure you remember that Scott May was injured and did not play in that game. I believe it was the Regional final.

It was still a great win.

GopherLady,

As someone who also grew up in Husker land (within eyesight of the stadium) I can verify that you always expect the win. 9-3 got Frank Solich fired after all.

However, for me the basketball in Minnesota is LIGHT YEARS better. Nebraska basketball is a joke and I have been loving Tubby, the Barn, and the winning since I've been at the U (two years now).

That being said, the one thing the Huskers do right, like Wisconsin, is support their teams. My first Gopher football game almost caused me to cry. There were only 45,000 people there, and about half of them left before the game was even over. Now this doesn't seem to be AS MUCH of a problem for basketball, but ever time I see the run for the doors at the five minute mark I still get a little PO'd.

I'm hopeful a few years of Tubby Time will teach us to be good fans and keep people planted in their seats until the Rouser is finished after the final buzzer.

We can work on football later.

Go Gophers!

FOT,

I'm sure you remember that Scott May was injured and did not play in that game. I believe it was the Regional final.

It was still a great win.

Absolutely IU was the better team at full strength. But it was signature W for Joe Hall anyway. My sister's boyfriend (at the time) played on that UK team.

I agree with GL. The Gopher-Badger football game this fall was a blast for me, even though we lost, and lost in a heartbreaking fashion.

But I will say the Illinois football game was a better trip because we won.

1975 NCAA Tournament

Actually Scott May DID play in that game. He played wearing a cast over his previously broken left wrist and due to limited effectiveness only played 7 minutes (he did start, however).

Badger fans are not special.

That being said, the one thing the Huskers do right, like Wisconsin, is support their teams.
Go Gophers!

That is such BS. I hate when people put Wisconsin fans on some pedestal. Go check their attendance records before Barry arrived in the early '90s. Check them when their basketball team was awful before Bennett.

You know what you'll find? A lot of games with similar attendance to every other bad-mediocre team in the B10. Their fans bailed last night in OT when they had a chance to win, the same thing our fans get criticized for.

Wisconsin has "loyal" fans because their sports have been successful. As is often posted around here - "just win baby." You can build a culture of support on consistent success that will survive the occasional bad year, but you put 5 years straight of .500 or less football on the field and Camp Randall tickets will be a lot easier to come by (remember the market being flooded with tickets to the game last year after they were 0-3 in the B10?).

Badger fans are not special. They are not loyal. They are just like every other fan for every other school. They follow success.

Eat it Becky.

I agree, Lady...last night's win was sweet for those of us who have been suffering w/ this team game in and game out for the last decade (and longer, obviously). Buck and I unfortunately came here shortly after the '97 Final 4 (we both hail from Wisc) and so have seen nothing but a losing tradition since we have become Gopher students/fans/season ticket holders/etc. it makes this year so exciting for us! I don't think it'd be as cool if we just watched now because they are good.

for the record, despite being from Wisconsin, I have never been a Badger fan...I was raised in a Marquette household and have hated them since I was a wee one.

but it's all of these ups and downs that make the wins that much sweeter...and tonight, was about as sweet as it gets!!!

GopherLady's quote above demonstrates that she is Minnesotan to the core. Nothing defines our essence so much as the reality that, after a winter like the one we are currently in, no one can appreciate a beautiful spring day like we do.

That said, may the Tubby Smith era last longer than a typical Minnesota spring.

GopherLady's quote above demonstrates that she is Minnesotan to the core. Nothing defines our essence so much as the reality that, after a winter like the one we are currently in, no one can appreciate a beautiful spring day like we do.

That said, may the Tubby Smith era last longer than a typical Minnesota spring.

Right now, Gopher enthusiasm is running like the Minnehaha (sp?) falls.

Actually Scott May DID play in that game. He played wearing a cast over his previously broken left wrist and due to limited effectiveness only played 7 minutes (he did start, however).

True. IU was the better team that year but UK won that particular game.

Right now, Gopher enthusiasm is running like the Minnehaha (sp?) falls.

A funny thing happens in the winter here.
105121284_65fdf01921.jpg

Sorry borninthebarn. Definitely didn't mean to touch a nerve.

As a sophomore from out of state all I know of the Badgers are what I've seen the last two years. 30,000 at the metrodome and their sweatshirts on every third person on campus (especially the drunk ones). If I live to see Camp Randall half full of maroon and gold, I can die happy.

Top Bottom