Naming the Student Section at Mariucci

Reaction score
Looks like the U wants to name the student section at Mariucci in sections 13 and 14 - taking suggestions as stated in this email I just received from the ticket office:

Minnesota Athletics Taking Submissions for Mariucci Arena Student Section Name

The University of Minnesota is now taking submissions to name the student section at Mariucci Arena for men's hockey games. The 10,000-seat facility has been called the "best venue in college hockey" by Sports Illustrated, and has hosted three NCAA Regional competitions, two NCAA Women's Frozen Fours and numerous other national and international hockey and skating events.

However, the imposing brick building is best known for being home to the Minnesota men's hockey team and its adoring fans. No fan group is more important to the atmosphere and spirit of the building than the student section. More than 1,000 Minnesota students join the band in sections 13 and 14 - behind the goal Minnesota attacks twice - to cheer on their beloved Gophers every home stand.

The student section has gone nameless until now. Gopher fans are encouraged to submit names for the student section at [email protected] and submissions will be received from Sept. 3-15. Students will then be able to vote on the top-four entries through a unique voting system. Student voting will take place from Sept. 17-24 and the new name of the Mariucci Arena student section will be unveiled Friday, Oct. 8 when Minnesota opens the 2010-11 season at home against Massachusetts.

why don't they put the 2 sections next to each other?

why don't they put the 2 sections next to each other?

I believe it has something to do with providing the most lucrative seating locations and options to those who pay the most: the perennial season ticket holders.

It is a travesty. The student section, and subsequently the entire atmosphere would be drastically improved if they combined the sections.

I believe it has something to do with providing the most lucrative seating locations and options to those who pay the most: the perennial season ticket holders.

It is a travesty. The student section, and subsequently the entire atmosphere would be drastically improved if they combined the sections.

They did. No more student section in 3 this season.

They did. No more student section in 3 this season.

Seriously? It's a combined section now? Where did you hear this?

EDIT: I see that they are talking about it a bit on GPL, but I still don't know where it comes from.

EDIT: I see that they are talking about it a bit on GPL, but I still don't know where it comes from.

Pretty sure I saw it on GPL in a seating chart somewhere....

The best college hockey student section of all time was back in Williams Arena during the 1970's. The entire balcony was general admission and we had the whole arena under our comand. I should know, my seat for every game from 1973-1978 was first row of the balcony 3 seats off the Of course to get "our" seats, we had to make the mad dash when the bell rang and the doors opened. Mason's "chump stick" and doing tequilla shots certainly added to the mayhem we created.

Pardon me ...3 seats off the red line.

It will happen in 2011 when they reseat Mariucci Arena based on Gopher Points.

Top Bottom