Question for GopherLady and other attendees at the game

Donovan

Reaction score
On TV, the Kohl center looks rather sterile. Really bright white lighting and that awful color floor. The Barn has this great warm glow to it and the wood floor is gorgeous. For those in attendance this evening, does it look/feel this way in person?

As someone who spent time in real estate, it is probably the difference between the modern tract homes and a craftsman! The modern homes may have all the up to date features but the craftsman homes have all the character and charm.

Kohl Center

I did not go to the game tonight, but I've been to a couple games there in the past. (My Father was at the game this evening and he commented on how wild it was to see so many people head for the door at the 3 minute mark when Wisconsin led by 10. And this is no shock, but he is convinced that Bo Ryan's insistence on berating referees has ushered in a culture of whiney-ness at UW ball games. The fans get right behind Bo and scream their cause ad naseum.)

The Kohl Center can get loud. But not nearly as loud as the Fieldhouse where they used to play. It has more seats and luxury boxes allowing UW to make more money. But, like you said, it is much more sterile than the Barn. In my opinion, UW sacrificed intimacy and history for $$. (There may have been some other issues with the old Fieldhouse as well. Not sure on that.)

On TV, the Kohl center looks rather sterile. Really bright white lighting and that awful color floor. The Barn has this great warm glow to it and the wood floor is gorgeous. For those in attendance this evening, does it look/feel this way in person?

Personally, I HATE the Kohl Center. Every year when I go to our game there, I thank god for the Barn. It is very stale, it feels like an NBA Arena - so does Ohio State, IMO. It can get loud in there (obviously they sell out and have over 17K every game) - but not Barn loud. It's been a while since the Barn has been rocking, but on it's best day, it puts the noise at the Kohl Center to shame. It clearly works for them, they rarely lose at home - but I just don't see the home court advantage, like I do with Breslin, or Assembly Hall at IL (or IU, although I have yet to go to IU for a game). Honestly, I'd even take the atmosphere at NU and their high school-like gym over Kohl.

The Kold Center

This is why they call it "The Kold Center." Other than 2 or 3 possessions last night, the crowd was sitting on their hands the whole game. Even worse, when play was stopped with 50 seconds left in OT and the Badgers only down by 2 possessions, the fans were streaming toward the exits. If Westbrook misses one of those free throws, UW would have had a chance to send it into a second OT and the place was half empty.

I should also note that several fans shook my hand and congratulated me on the win on their way out, which was classy. What a great win...that may go down as the best road win I have seen.

Just look at all that metallic charm! Folding chairs, awesome!

Cram_Kohl_crowds02.jpg

There are other reasons you like Breslin too Gopher Lady *wink*

can you imagine how loud the barn would be if it still had 17,ooo seats instead of 14,625? Incredible.

can you imagine how loud the barn would be if it still had 17,ooo seats instead of 14,625? Incredible.
I don't know...sometimes the bigger arenas don't get as loud; too big, too corporate, too removed from the action. Look at Cameron Indoor Stadium; often the loudest gym in the country, only seats 9,300. I like Williams Arena the way it is :)

It is the design and metal roof that makes the barn loud, well that and people yelling.

I echo GL's thoughts on the Kohl Center. It's an NBA arena that has a college team playing there, and I did not like it one bit. The whole place has all the personality of a wet grocery bag. What I liked about Cintas Center at Xavier and Hilton Coliseum at Iowa State is that neither place tried to be more than what it was. The Dayton Street Mortuary thinks that since it's the newest, flashiest kid on the block, by default it's the best.

The weasels' gaudy home record has everything to do with refusing to lose there and nothing to do with the arena.

I'll have my full recap up a little later.

Barn gets the laugh of the day with his quote:

It is the design and metal roof that makes the barn loud, well that and people yelling.

Top Bottom