So what made the difference? What turned the tide?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
You could point to a lot of things tonight, and none of them would be wrong.

>>The most obvious would be they turned up the heat with the press but I think it was much much more than that.

>>First half, lots of guys trying to do too much, not playing their game, not moving the ball and moving without the ball.

>>Gophers just plain wore them out. Wisky essentially played 6, maybe 7 guys all night and they were noticeably worn out towards the end of the game.

>>DEFENSE!!! Just taking in the boxscore, Gophers held Wisky to 38% shooting on their home court, 21% from the arc.

>>Taking care of the ball. Gophers finished with 18 TO's and I think they had at least a dozen at the half.

>>Didn't panic. Even though they trailed for virtually all of regulation, the Gophers didn't start jacking up 3-pointers. Amazing stat, they shot 13 from long range while Wisky hoisted up 24.

Wow. Just can't say enough about this one. Absolutely unbelievable.

One of the big differences down the stretch was the athletic and small lineup Tubby put in - when we have DJ and Carter out there together good things seem to happen. Those two along with Bostick have been igniting a lot of big runs - we became long and athletic overnight.

Of course Westbrook taking the game over didn't hurt.

Go Gophers!!

Honestly, I was watching the game and stunned to all of a sudden find the Gophers back in it. It was hard to even notice it had happened until it did!

Westbrook taking the game over and Carter's intensity and rebounding of course, but I think Bostick shouldn't be over looked. He came down 4 straight times I think and took the ball hard to the basket (made 3 of them) and forced the Badgers to concentrate more on him and opened things up for others, especially Westbrook to get on a roll.

Bostick and Carter

I thought it was Bostick and Carter down the stretch that made the difference. Yes, Westbrook was on fire. But without those two we wouldn't have had a chance.

With Wisconsin's D you need someone who can get to the RIM

Besides the fullcourt pressure causing turnovers. I think one of the biggest reasons for the win are playing Bostick and carter, with johnson and westbrook. Wisconsin's defense is so tough; screens and plays don't seem to work. You need people who can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. All four of these guys can do that.

Also, did carter look like a young Rodman out there. Outrebounding bigger players and shutting them down with great quickness! When he puts on 20 pounds look out!

I almost shut if off, I am extactic i DID NOT!

TEAM comes to mind. Depth, rotations, defense, pressure and just plain teamwork contributed to this win. When we all try to name stars of the game (or any game), many different names pop up, which is exactly as it should be. We not only have a great coach, but we have players executing what Tubby has taught. Kudos to Westbrook for being our "go to guy" and a master of toughness, but others (DJ, Carter, Bostick, Hoffarber/Hoffburger or whatever...) played significant roles, too. And all this against the Badgers!

Great come-from-behind, wear-them-down, shock-the-hostile-crowd win, guys!

One of the big differences down the stretch was the athletic and small lineup Tubby put in - when we have DJ and Carter out there together good things seem to happen. Those two along with Bostick have been igniting a lot of big runs - we became long and athletic overnight.

Of course Westbrook taking the game over didn't hurt.

Go Gophers!!

Nailed it there. I think we will see this lineup quite a bit now in the future when we want to slap that press on em. Replace Hoff w/Nolen and you have a team that can get up and down, is athletic and also some scorers. Love it, especially in small doses at the right time.

Depth! While guys like Nolen, Iverson, Hoffarber, Busch and Shamala didn't have their best game, others took up the slack. Westbrook, Johnson, Sampson, and Bostick stepped up. Tubby seems to have a 5 man design for all occasions.

I agree

Depth was a huge factor. More athletic kids who have more depth eventually wore down the Badgers.

Plus DJ came back in the second half (after sitting with the early foul trouble) and made a big difference.

The team has improved so much over the past month it is amazing. Bostick and Carter have finally arrived, and they have brought the team to tne next level.

Top Bottom