new big 10 alignment.

dboy

Banned
Reaction score
Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• And Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

looks like we get Wisky only 1x per year:

The Big Ten issued a press release saying it would announce its divisional alignment at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday. According to sources, the divisions were decided upon Monday.

According to multiple sources, the Big Ten wanted to preserve a number of traditional rivalries such as Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Minnesota, Purdue-Indiana and Indiana-Illinois.

The Big Ten is also expected to announce a consistent crossover game in football similar to Ohio State-Michigan that will be played each year. Expect to see longtime rivals Wisconsin and Minnesota playing every season.

In men's basketball, according to sources, the Big Ten is expected to play a 16-game conference schedule by taking a model similar to those used by the Big 12 and the Southeastern Conference. In those leagues, teams play each division opponent twice and then single games -- three at home and three on the road -- against teams in the opposing division.

That really blows if that's how it shakes out. The Gopher/Badger basketball games are my favorite sporting event of the year.

On the upside it means we play Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, and Northwestern twice every year and Michigan State at Home. We are definitely in the easier baskeball division and it's not even close.

In hoops, I'd rather be in the tougher division

Whatever the basketball divisions end up being, I would much rather be in the tougher division (see SEC East) than the easier one (SEC West). I want more opportunities for quality wins, not less. Doesn't do a team much good beating up on the bottom of the league. Not to mention, our history of nonconference scheduling hasn't been the strongest under Tubby (this year is much better, however).

Boy, I can't see them eliminating two conference games. Would they really expand the league to 12 teams and then narrow the number of conferences games from 18 to 16? That makes no sense. Some coaches want to move to a 20-game league schedule. I doubt they go to 16.

We only play Wisconsin 1 time this year and played only 1 time last year. It would be nice to have a more consistent schedule. I agree they won't cut games. So who knows what will come of this announcement.

I don't really see the value of 2 divisions for Basketball anyway with a year end tournament.

I didn't think basketball was going to be broken into divisions, only football.

I like it

Can't imagine a better alignment for Minnesota in football, assuming we're protected against Wisconsin. Question is, will the league go to nine conference games as has been discussed? Or stick with eight? It's getting increasingly difficult, and expensive, to schedule non-conference opponents who don't require a return visit; nine-game conference schedules could ease that pressure.

Basketball is a bit more fluid than football, meaning schools can rise and fall more quickly, so the quality factor could vary over a few years' time. As for the conference tournament, I'd assume the top four teams will get first-day byes with the other eight playing down to four. The question is, will the third and fourth seeds be based solely on record, or will the second-place finishers in each division get byes regardless of record?

I too was under the impression that only football would be divisional. Hope so.

Hoping men's hoops uses Big East model (no divisions)

I'm very confident basketball will stick with 18 games. I agree with TJ; it'd be a huge mistake to go back to 16 games.

I don't think there's going to be a divisional format for basketball. Somehow I think it will end up where teams play 7 teams twice and 4 teams once. Conference schedules will vary year to year, much like how the Big East does it.

I have the opposite approach than Selection Sunday. It's my belief/opinion that a tough schedule can wear on a team. I think teams perform better with breaks in between big games than having a long string of them. I have nothing really to back this up this claim other than my experience and anecdotal evidence.

Put it this way...I think we'd have a better shot at beating a Michigan St if preceeding it were games against Nebraska and Iowa than if the games were Purdue and Illinois.

I'm all about quality wins but I'd rather the stage be set as best as possible for a win than having a mentally worned down team enter those type of games, even if there are more opportunities.

Maturi (not that he is in the know for sure) has all but dismissed using the divisions for basketball. If they are going to, there's no way they can put Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern and Michigan in the same division while OSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Indiana are in the same divison. That would be a complete joke.

Purdue basketball fans are screaming bloody murder over these divisions. Look at it Purdue, Illinois, OSU, and Wisconsin are 4 of the best 6 teams in the conference right now, then toss in Indiana tradition that is a murders row of division. The B10 winner would NEVER come out of that division. The only 2 decent programs with any history in the other division is MSU and Minnesota. While they did a great job balancing football division they need to balance basketball as well otherwise its not fair to the teams in "Division 2".

BTW what dumb corporate name do you think they will come up with for the 2 divisions.

That would be so disappointing if they actually did that for bball.

On the show on the Big Ten network last night, they said basketball scheduling was not set, no divisions at this time. It would be up to the coaches and AD's to determine how basketball would be run. The divisions as of now is only for football.

Mark it down. There's no way in hell there will be divisions for men's basketball. It's pretty obvious Delany doesn't want divisions, and he's a very powerful and smart man. They'll stick with an 18-game schedule, meaning they won't follow the stupid (16-game) East/West SEC model. Play 7 teams twice, 4 teams once. Book it.

There's really no need to have divisions in basketball as we already have the Big 10 tournament. Really, I believe, the only reason they did it in football is to create the conference championship game to rake in extra revenue. I was under the impression that basketball would never be split up as a result of adding just Nebraska. They may change the number of games or the frequency of playing certain opponents, but it would always just be one large division/conference.

Top Bottom