My Dog

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I just have to share. The last time the Gophs won in Madison was the day we adopted our puppy, Spanky. We got him in the morning and left him with family while we attended the wedding of a couple friends in the afternoon. I remember listening to the game on the radio in the back pew of the church while we got our flowers pinned and we prepped for the liturgy. It was a blowout, as I recall (the game, not the wedding). I remember Dave Grim making some big shots.

Today Spanky's a 15-year-old senior citizen (but still going strong, thank you). The last few years I've been wondering whether we'd get a W in the Kohl Center while we still had the boy with us. The Gophers came pretty close in both '96 and '97, but not much in the way of close games since that time. Even NDSU goes down there and wins, which was nice to see, but it made our drought pretty glaring by comparison.

This is a pretty big monkey off my back as a fan, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It still feels like we have some digging out to do to exorcise the inferiority complex with the BADgers, but this is a pretty sweet first step. Not to get too greedy, but I'd like to get Spanky another one or two before it's all over.

Top Bottom